“Good tapas but skip desserts”
Review of Fandango Tapas and Wine Bar - CLOSED

Fandango Tapas and Wine Bar
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Spanish, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 16 August 2013

For full reviews and photos, visit my blog at ms-skinnyfat

For anyone who loves to have a variety of dishes for any meal, the small plates format is your best option. Needless to say i'm a huge fan of Spanish tapas. I recently checked out Fandango Tapas and Wine Bar and enjoyed dining privileges using the Palate card. Located in the heart of Chijmes, Fandango provides a chic yet comfortable place to relax and unwind in the al fresco seating area facing the lawn and the beautiful church. Thankfully, the weather was on our side for some outdoors dining.

I was a little disappointed as our Sangrias were a little diluted. The red wine based ones were stronger though.

Serrano and Manchego ($18) is a good snack to have with some wine. Another option is the Deep Fried Camembert ($17) served with raspberry and Cabernet coulis. I liked the texture of the oozy cheese but the coulis was lacking in texture and too watery for my liking.

The Albondigas ($14), a traditional beef meatballs in a spicy tomato and rosemary sauce was probably my favorite dish of the night. They were juicy, flavorful and simply divine.

The Tortilla a la Espanola ($11) is a classic Spanish potato and onion omelette. It's so hard to find a good one in Singapore and it's really not that easy to make one. Fandango's tortilla kept me going on and on the whole night with its soft potatoes and light onion fragrance. It's good alone but the tangy tomato picante was good with it too.

The Paella de Marisco ($35) wasn't the most traditional that i've tasted. For one, the short grained rice was a little too fluffy for a paella. I was told by Emma, the friendly boss, that it's a spanish grain, though not bomba. Texture aside, i liked the rich seafood broth taste in this one and the seafood were fresh.

Desserts were kinda disappointing for us. Our Chocolate lava cake was overdone the first time round. Despite the molten centre in the second, the chocolate taste was lacking. Ice cream was so so as well.

The signature tiramisu was sorely lacking in espresso and alcohol. It was all cream and frozen chocolate swirls all around. I say skip desserts and stick to the wine and tapas.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

I enjoyed a leisurely brunch of chorizo sausage and Manchego cheese omelette, potatoes tossed in truffle oil and a refreshing Rose Sangria in the beautiful courtyard of CHIJMS, pronounced 'chimes' which was a Catholic church and convent known as of the Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus in the 1800's but, has since been converted to a charming shopping and restaurant complex in Singapore's business district located diagonally across from Raffels Hotel on the opposite corner. Fandango's staff Salem and Jerome were wonderfully accommodating as it was an intensely humid and hot mid morning in July and Salem immediately asked me if I would like to sit at a table outside or inside where it's cool. I pointed to an outside table under an umbrella in the shade and he immediately went and retrieved a massive MaxCool industrial size fan, plugged it in and pointed it directly at me to ensure my comfort while dining. I was instantly impressed. Jerome was my waiter and he was thoughtfully attentive and kind as we engaged in conversation each time he came to check on me. Fandango is the perfect place to come later in the day as well as they offer a lovely variety of Tapas and several different, yet all equally delicious, sangrias! They are open until 11pm Fridays and Saturdays, all other days, until 10pm.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

We dined here during our holiday in Singapore, one of many restaurants in this lovely area. The tables are outside and it can get hot, even though there are a few fans dotted here and there.
We ordered a few plates, from memory one was a croquette, another meatballs. They were ok but nothing memorable.
I had a glass of white sangria, which was refreshing.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

4 of us ate here & 3 of us ordered cocktails. They were not cheap (nothing here is) & tasted really weak. We had 2 seafood paella & a range of other tapas. All were OK, but nothing was great. The setting is nice & we had a good time. Service was good & staff were friendly & helpful. Overall not a bad night, but for great food there are plenty of better options in Singapore.

Reviewed 22 June 2013

We caught up some friends on their first night in Singapore. Happy hour - 2 for 1 drinks. But at $11 for a pint you need 2. Tapas were fine, service fine, but not really the extra something that you expect from the complex. But there again should have realised it would not be that great given neighboring Hog's Head Cafe food chain. & others are there.