“Great value and comfortable rooms”
Review of Dorsett Singapore

Dorsett Singapore
Ranked #89 of 319 Hotels in Singapore
Reviewed 2 December 2016

I stayed 5 nights at Dorsett Hotel. When I arrived just after 10.30am I received a pleasant greeting and was pleased to be given my room keycard immediately. My room on the 9th floor was lovely. Wonderful view from the window of terrace houses below, Pinnacle @ Duxton and hotels and buildings in the Tanjong Pagar area.

The bed was large and comfortable. I found the room a good size for a solo traveller. The bathroom was very well set out and the toiletries were nice. I loved the tiles in the shower area. Towels and hand towels were good quality and there was an extra coloured towel to use when at the swimming pool. Housekeeping was prompt and thorough. I'd put the Make up My Room light on when I left at about 8.30-9.30am and when I returned at 12noon-1.30pm the room was done.

Took me a little while to find everything in the room as things like room safe, hairdryer, tea and coffee supplies were kept in cupboards in the entry and below the desk.

I had lunch once at PappaSan cafe restaurant on the ground floor but did not receive the 10% discount (when you show your room keycard) promoted in the Dorsett Delights program, so I'm unsure if the menu I was presented with is not part of the program, or staff don't know about it.

I used the swimming pool on the 3rd floor quite a few times and it was clean, pleasant and well-maintained. The noise from nearby construction work was a bit distracting, but new MRT lines are being built and construction is happening everywhere in the city, so I don't mind too much.

The Handy Smartphone in the room is a good idea for tourists visiting, but as I'm a long-time frequent visitor to Singapore and know the city very well I didn't need it. I was surprised to see though that "Unlimited International Calls can be made to China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, USA and UK", but not to my home country of Australia. Rather disappointing to be excluded as there are a huge number of Australians visiting the city every year.

Dorsett hotel is just a few blocks away from the heart of Chinatown and it's so easy to use the MRT or bus stops outside and nearby to get around. Lots of things to see and do in walking distance. I have also booked this hotel for another few nights next year. It's good value, in a great location and has very comfortable rooms. I look forward to my next stay in 2017.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank Avanti_SG
dorsettsingapore, Public Relations Manager at Dorsett Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2016

Dear Avanti_SG,

Greetings from Dorsett Singapore!

Thank you for your kind review on your recent stay with us. We are delighted to note that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

On the other hand, we would like to apologise on the miscommunication by the F&B operator at Pappasan. In the "Dorsett Delights" programme, Dorsett guests are entitled to 10% off ala carte menu.

We are happy to note that you will be returning in 2017. Please let us know of your future date of arrival at Dorsett Singapore. Please email our Front Office Manager at may.kwan@dorsetthotels.com.

Team at Dorsett Singapore

Write a ReviewReviews (1,008)

Reviewed 28 November 2016

Good, comfortable hotel with brilliant proximity to chinatown, Duxton, Tanjong Pagar roads etc. Great if you want to be nearby some cool bars, cafes and restaurants. My room was on the small side but loved the rain shower. The pool area is satisfactory, although faces onto busy, New Bridge road and there is also a large, quite noisy construction site going on right opposite. Great for a dip though if you just want to cool off. There was no noise from construction in my room at all however. Only on the pool deck.

My tip: don't do breakfast at the hotel, though I'm sure it's fine. Instead, turn right out the front door of the hotel and walk up the hill a couple of hundred metres or so until you meet the cross street. There you'll find a great (western) cafe/breakfast option called Lokal. Coffee is excellent. They're open from around 9 so if you want a very early breakfast, this might not work - especially if you're like me and was awake super early because of a time difference. Worth the wait though.

Also, Boca, right near by is pretty handy for portugese style tapas and craft beer. Singapore blond ale is pretty darn good.

I'd happily stay at the Dorset again, if only for it's excellent position.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
dorsettsingapore, Public Relations Manager at Dorsett Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2016

Dear JadsMelbourne,

Greetings from Dorsett Singapore!

Thank you for your kind review on your recent stay with us. We are delighted to note that you have enjoyed the convenience of our prime location.

Being well-positioned in the iconic heritage precinct, the Hotel is easily accessible to an array of vibrant nightlife, eateries and hot tourist spots, synonymous to our tagline "Where heritage meets modernity".

To share, we have a privilege programme that allows hotel guests to enjoy F&B and lifestyle discounts at participating outlets in the vicinity. You will be pleased to know Lokal is one of our F&B preferred partners that offers exclusive discounts to our guests. We hope you will be able to enjoy this value-added service on your stay with us.

Once again, thank you for choosing us as your preferred accommodation in Singapore and we look forward to welcoming you back as always.

Reviewed 27 November 2016

Booked room type “Dorsett room” Good size room, 22 sqm with a very comfortable king size bed and 40” LED TV. Free Wi-fi was excellent. Hotel has its own MRT access to Outram Park station. Included in the room is a complimentary smart phone device which has free data included so you can take outside the hotel to using as a map and shopping guide. Staff were helpful, friendly and professional. The only issue I experienced was the fridge was not functioning however a minor glitch and easily fixed. I will stay at this hotel when next in Singapore.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank timgtakl

Dear timgtakl,

Greetings from Dorsett Singapore!

Thank you for your kind review and rating of “excellent” on your recent stay with us.
We are delighted to note that you have enjoyed the complimentary use of our smartphone, comfort, hospitality and facilities.

On the other hand, our sincere apologies for the minor glitch in the mini fridge. We are glad to note it was fixed in a jiffy and we truly appreciate your patience with us.

Reviewed 23 November 2016 via mobile

Not bad. Celebrated my birthday staycation here. Staffs were very friendly! Even wished me happy birthday. Swimming pool open till 10, hotel room was spacious and well designed. There's malls/food nearby if you're hungry in the middle of the night.

Worth the price and recommended!

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
dorsettsingapore, Public Relations Manager at Dorsett Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2016

Dear dandanqin_,

Greetings from Dorsett Singapore.

Thank you for your kind review and rating your staycation with us. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest for your special day.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and your kind recommendation to others. We look forward to welcoming you back to Dorsett Singapore in the near future.

Reviewed 16 November 2016

The best thing about this hotel is the access to SMRT, which you can take elevator from the station directly to the corner of the hotel. The location is in Chinatown, which is around 10-min walking distance to major attractions. The room is clean and comfortable. Nice stay here.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kunatchong
dorsettsingapore, Public Relations Manager at Dorsett Singapore, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2016

Dear kunatchong,

Greetings from Dorsett Singapore!

We are delighted to note that you have enjoyed the room and our prime location to meet your travel needs.