“Informative and interesting tour ”
Review of Tours 4 Tips

Tours 4 Tips
Ranked #14 of 343 Tours in Santiago
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: “Pay-What-You-Want" Walking Tours Everyday at 10am and 3pm! We meet in front of the Museo de Bellas Artes (Fine Arts Museum) everyday, just find your guide wearing a red and white striped t-shirt like the "Where's Wally" or "Where's Waldo" children's book character. 3 hours of easy walking with two distinct routes. 10am "Santiago Offbeat" shows you 4 different markets and the spectacular General Cemetery of Santiago, 3pm"Santiago Highlights" explores the cities downtown with a focus on Santiago's political, architectural and historical fine points. Reservations are not required but always recommended through our website. We also offer private tours for those who want a smaller group and more personalized experience, just email us for more information!
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We did the Santiago highlights tour with Tours 4 Tips having done a Valparaíso tour previously. The tour gave a lot of information about Chile and Santiago whilst pointing out some key sites along the way. It would be a great first day activity to give you a sense of the different areas. The tour guide was very friendly and happy to answer any questions.

Hey SK7117,

I definitely agree, it's a fantastic first day activity. What better way to get yourself oriented in a huge city than walking around with a super smart local?

I'm so happy to hear that you guys had such a good time on the tour, and that it held up to your awesome experience in Valparaíso. If you guys have anymore questions about Chile or Santiago, please don't hesitate to stop by our office at Loreto 6, just a block away from the tour meeting point. We are always more than happy to recommend fun sites and chat with visitors!

Safe travels,

Peter

Write a ReviewReviews (1,835)
All reviews
"guide carlos"
in 13 reviews
"chilli"
in 228 reviews
"great introduction to santiago"
in 25 reviews
"fish market"
in 28 reviews
"three hours"
in 17 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 24 reviews
"these guys"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We - an extended family - spent a week in Santiago in late March. 2 of us opted to do the afternoon off beat tour and 4 of us did the Santiago highlights tour on a different date. Our guide on each walking tour coincidentally was José Miguel.
We were very impressed with Jose Miguel’s knowledge, passion for the city, his excellent command of English and his willingness to share his email address so that we could do a follow up email as part of a journalist article my cousin wanted to write.
Each tour is quite different. There is some overlap (relating to the recounting of the turbulent and emotionally scarring years of the military period of rule in Chile from 1973 to 1990). For us, the off beat tour (the poorer area across the river, La Vega market) ending at the Cementerio General was the more satisfying. Having seen the main sights of Santiago in both tours, we felt that the time spent in the Cementerio General was the most fascinating where we learnt so much about the Chilean attitudes to death and animism.
The tours are free - guides rely solely on tips (averaging USD8-15 per person) - and are highly recommended.

Hi liquigiraffe,

First off, I'm absolutely thrilled to hear you describe in such detail the fantastic time you guys had on Jose Miguel's tour! He is such a cool guy, and I am always in awe of his encyclopedic knowledge of Santiago and Chile. And did you know he learned English just from watching movie and TV?? He is such an impressive individual.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful and kind review! I always love hearing what visitors thought of the tours, especially when they are as enthusiastic as yourself. I also hope that everything goes just splendidly with your cousin's article and that your travels continue to be fun and full of learning!

All the best,

Reviewed 31 March 2018

I brought a whole lot of money with me to Santiago, because I knew tours of the city would be pretty expensive during Holy Week. But luckily, I found Tours4Tips, and it was the PERFECT deal! There is no fee, all the guides request is that you make a free-will tip at the end based on how much you enjoyed the tour (and don’t worry, they give you recommended amounts in Chilean Pesos in case you’re unsure like I was). My tour guide, Albert, was super outgoing and knowledgeable - not only did I learn a whole lot about the history of Santiago and the Chilean people, his friendly energy made for a great atmosphere of conversation and shared fun within our group of strangers. Not to mention we saw some of the coolest and most historic places in town! If you’re on a budget and just want to do a decent paced (not too long or short) and overall very comfortable walking tour of Santiago during an afternoon, then 10/10 I would highly recommend Tours 4 Tips!

Hi Colton R,

I'm so glad you enjoyed the tour! It is our philosophy as a small sustainable tourism start-up that very high quality and educational tours of the city be accessible to travelers of all budgets, and that's why my partner Joel and I started this company.

Each of our guides has their own style, and each is fantastic in their own way, but I definitely think Albert is one of the most unique members of the Wally team. He's super smart, funny, and interesting; and all of that makes for a fantastic tour!

I'm so happy to hear that you learned so much. If you want to learn even more about the different cities of Chile and our history and culture, don't hesitate to check out our tours in Valparaíso, San Pedro de Atacama, and Viña del Mar. They all run on the same "free tour" philosophy as the tour in Santiago, and I know if you loved the tours here, you're going to LOVE the other tours as well.

Safe travels,

Reviewed 31 March 2018

These tours are great. I did both the offbeat Santiago (10 a.m.) and Santiago highlights (3 p.m.) in the same day and it was a lot of walking, but totally worth it. There was even enough time between to have lunch at one of the recommended restaurants.
Offbeat Santiago with Carmelo was my favorite as we got to see more of the daily life of Chileans as well as their history. The tour goes through the markets and ends in the cemetery with a discussion on Chile's history and then a local drink (terremoto/earthquake) at a nearby bar.
Santiago highlights with Oscar also discusses the political history of Santiago and Chile while wandering through some of the major streets and sights.

All tour guides are very knowledgeable and helpful with ideas on what to see next.

Hi Christina,

I'm so glad that you enjoyed both tours so much! You're right, it is a lot of walking, but it's also super interesting and fun, in addition to be awesome exercise.

Camilo and Oscar are both fantastic guides, and it's so cool that they were able to show you such a fabulous time in this fabulous city. I hope you enjoyed the terremoto--it's a pretty controversial drink, some hate it, some love it.

If you're still in Chile, I have to recommend our other tours in Valparaíso, San Pedro de Atacama, and Viña del Mar, given that you enjoyed the tours in Santiago so much. They are all fantastic ways to get to know the history and culture of Chile and its cities through the eyes of locals.

Enjoy your travels,

See more reviews
Reviewed 29 March 2018

If you want a relaxed, friendly and knowledgeable tour of Santiago I suggest you take both the morning and afternoon tours. They are extremely different but will give you insight into the many sides of Santiago and the way of life. I can’t speak highly enough of the guides (Cami and Marcela) who both seem to love their jobs and give their all to ensure everyone in the groups get what they want from the tour.

Thank you Tours 4tips.....

Hey Janet C,

No, thank YOU! Thank you for being so curious and interested to learn about the fascinating history and culture of our country. I'm so glad that Cami and Marcela were able to teach you so much, as well as show you such a fantastic time. Now that you've taken both tours, I think you can officially call yourself the expert on Santiago. It is a very multifaceted city, and you're totally right, with both the morning and afternoon experience, you get a good sense of "the many sides of Santiago."

Thanks so much for taking the time to give us feedback. We ALWAYS love hearing how it went on our tours. And remember, if you're looking for more super fun experiences with super fun guides, definitely check out the tours we do in Valparaíso, San Pedro de Atacama, and Viña del Mar!

All the best,