“Stay Away from the Principado de Asturias”

Principado De Asturia
Ranked #87 of 204 Hotels in Santiago
Reviewed 5 February 2010

I have been visiting Santiago over a period of more than 25 years and have stayed in a total of at least six hotels. Of these, my favourite used to be the Galerias - until both management and staff changed!

For the last three visits I have been staying at the Principado de Asturias, almost solely because of its excellent location and decent restaurant. Otherwise I would agree with most other reviewers that it is an over-priced dump although my experience wasn't as bad as some and at least I wasn't robbed!

The rooms are depressing and could be cleaner; room service is erratic; the bar is a circulation area between two entrances and quite nasty; worst of all, the front house staff don't even seem to know (or care!) what services are available in their own establishment.

After three stays too many I am going elsewhere on my upcoming visit to Santiago!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Oddysseus

Reviewed 29 December 2009

well, it is not a bad hotel, but it is not a 4 star as they say. At the first day I was advised to use the safe in the room and in the next day during the breakfast the safe was oppened and it was missing 100 dollar that was inside. I call the police to register the occurence and after it they said I woud be expelled from the hotel for causing "problems", it just not ocuried because I said that they would have bigger problems if they do it.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank MinasTuturista
Reviewed 21 September 2009

NIce hotel offering the delivery based on a good staff, enabled to hand with different cultures and modalities of behaviour, as I watch on my stay., partuculary on the restaurant The stupid problem with the key for the frigobar remain as has been related previously. We waited just half hour for the key, so reading the reviews, we were lucky. Six or more feet people will be in trouble taking a bath, because so short are the furniture.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2008

We stayed in the hotel for four days and the first problem was the refrigerator because he was looked and there was no key. Therefore we asked for a key but nothing and only at the second day I received the key to open the refrigerator.
The rooms are very small for a 4 star hotel and also the window.
The internet acess for my notebook functioned only in the lobby and not at the rooms and the two computers from the hotel functioned only two days. There was no cradle for my 5 month old daughter available. The breakfast was okay.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Thomasbrazil
Reviewed 25 July 2007

I just arrived from a 7-day leisure trip to Chile. Chilean people, in general, are quite warmful and friendly but the same characteristics can not be found in the staff of Hotel Principado de Asturias. I was in a group of six friends and we had very unpleasant experiences in our 3-day stay in this hotel. The hotel says it has 4 stars, but such ranking must be immediately reviewed. My room had a mini-bar, but it was locked. The first night I arrived from dinner at 11.30 pm and could not open the mini-bar in order to get a bottle of water. I called the front desk and asked for the key or for a bottle of water and the receptionist told me that the key was available only during the day. Then I asked for a bottle of water (I was really thirsty) and the receptionist said that the room service was not available anymore!! How come a so-called 4-star hotel leaves a guest in this situation? The next day there was not a bath towel in my bathroom. It took me 30 minutes and 2 phone calls before I could receive a towel. Besides, a couple of friends was given a room with two beds (they had booked a room with only one bed). When they asked to change the room the receptionist (whose name I can't recall, unfortunately) was extremely rude and aggressive. To top it all, we had booked in a travel agency in Santiago a tour to Valle Nevado. The night before the tour the agency called the hotel in order to tell us the time that they would pick us up the next morning. The hotel replied to the agency that there was not any guest with our names in the hotel!!! Our luck is that the tour guide went to the hotel next morning and shouted my friend's name in the lobby and one person of our group heard it! Hotel breakfast is quite poor (one day we had to wait 10 minutes for a single bread!!!!). I absolutely do not recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank brazilian_tourist