A friend of us didn't have that much time to spend around Quito and Cotopaxi and therefore the 3d2n option of Secret Garden was a very efficient and convenient way to explore the region. We booked it the day before and the next day we already left in the morning, flexible & easy going.
What is included in their 88usd package:
- transport from Secret Garden Quito to SG Cotopaxi
- 1st day 2 meals, 2nd day 3 meals and 3rd day breakfast and lunch (all days as snack bananas and banana cake and coffee/tee/water for free)
- 2 nights in the dorm (very comfy bed and room heated with wood)
- 1st day a walk to see waterfalls (2h), 2nd or 3rd day (up to your decision), guided hike to Pasochoa (4200m), good exercise if you want to go higher on the 3rd day or in the following days
On the third day most of the people do additional activities like horseback riding or another hike which cost around usd 30-35. The transfer back to Quito was usd 5pp. The can also arrange transfers to other close destinations like Machachi (price depends on groups).
An individual night without package costs about usd 38 which can be arranged on their homepage or via SG Quito.
Beforehand we thought it sounds like a good deal and afterwards we knew it was very good value for money. The accommodation is due to it's location definitely better than a common hostel night elsewhere and the food was just great and enough (as well for active hikers:)! Combined with the relaxed atmosphere in the common areas it's just a great experience! Again: the food was outstanding and we ate a lot!
Also the big hammock, the small hammocks, the jacuzzi and the hot showers helped to relax and enjoy the environment. The compost toilet had a great view as well, unique!
Overall, very nice experience in a great location with nice people. Even if travelling on a budget this is a reasonable and convenient option to explore the region. Recommended and would do it again. Thank for these nice impressions.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Katherine and Tarquin, the owners/creators of The Secret Garden Quito, have moved to the countryside where they have been building their dream home and hostel. It's spectacular mountain scenery, it's a beautiful traditional lodge made of mud bricks and thatched roof, it's an eco-friendly self sufficiency project, it's great homegrown herbs and spices,with an exquisite home style food, it's considered an adventure center and it's a relaxation center. ... more less