Hotel Boutique Portal de Cantuna
US$72
US$68
US$113
TripAdvisor
All reviewsplaza san franciscoold townconverted conventtea roomeggscentral courtyardhistoric quitoperfect locationfamily run hotelsmall restaurantcommon areasold housewooden floorswe loved our stayliving roomhistoric arealight sleeper
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

This is just the most charming hotel in a great location. The rooms are definitely convent converted sparse, and so cold, everything I touched was cold as well.. I am there now for a six night stay, and Sonia has been great and exceedingly accommodating.

Bring long underwear to put under your pajamas and socks to sleep in as well. I had to also have a jacket over me at night. My room was so run down, the plugs didn't always work in the loose sockets, and there was only one very loose glass shelf in the bathroom that wasn't sturdy enough to hold anything without falling over. So if you require a little heat in your room on cold nights as I do, be prepared for the fact that the room will have none. It feels more like cold air coming in.

There is only one hair dryer for the entire hotel they told me..And I was quoted a great price to have laundry done by weight. Then it was by the piece. Then weight. No, that was a mistake, it's by the piece. So make sure you get correct information when you ask about things. I received multiple answers several times.

They were great and picked me up from Cumbaya where I was staying, and will be providing other transportation services as well. The location is really the best part about this place. As for the hotel itself.. charming, but I fear needs a lot of work. I have only been inside two rooms. Maybe other rooms are better.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

We stayed here several times in 3 different rooms in between trips to other parts of Ecuador. The location close to Plaza San Francisco is excellent. You can walk all over the old town during the day. At night the streets can get pretty deserted. We used taxis for dining out. Never had a problem with the taxi drivers. The family that runs the place cannot do enough for you. Suggestions on what to see. Delicious breakfasts. A small restaurant downstairs which serves simple meals. Very fresh. Decor is great. Lots of interesting stuff to look at. BTW room 6 & 7 pick up' the wifi in the room.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2018

We were supposed to stay here for three nights but stayed for four as it was so central for everything. Breakfasts were help yourself to granola and juices and coffeee and tea and chocolate. Then you had a piece of fruit each day and breads and a choice of how you wanted your eggs cooked. We ate in the restaurant twice in the evening and both times the food was varied and good portions It was a very quiet hotel even for the central location and there was the central atrium to sit in and a large lounge where the wi fi was available. Sonia was very helpful both before we arrived in arranging a driver to collect us at the airport and during the stay by arranging tours for us. We used their driver Efren Lopez twice during our stay and he was a good safe driver.

Room Tip: have a room on one of the upper floors away from the steps.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 March 2018

This hotel is certainly interesting: lots of antiques, collectibles and strange and unusual objects in a hodge podge of rooms. Located in the historical old town on the edge of a less desirable area which made us feel a bit uncomfortable about going out at night. Breakfasts were good, staff was helpful. Rooms were a bit run down (showers could certainly use new caulking for one thing) and the whole place could use a good dusting and vacuuming.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 March 2018

I chose this place due to its proximity to Old Town Quito, where we wanted to spend most of our Quito time.
My email communications were handled well; they arranged to have a ride at the airport for us (we arrived at 1 am), and helped us find a guide for some of our needs.
Location is excellent - across from Iglesia San Francisco, but set back a bit so as to be quite private.
Building is old, and as a result, unique. They have enclosed the central court yard to make it weather proof, and we spent time there meeting many other fellow travelers. The floors and stairs squeak, so a light sleeper might have some interrupted night-times, given how often foreigners arrive in Ecuador late at night. Our room did not have a window, but was clean and utilitarian.
The common spaces are amazingly decorated and deliver an almost whimsical charm. The place oozes personality, and was a highlight of our time in Quito.
The hotel staff were a twin delight - matching the building's charm and personality. Sonya, the owner, was delightful, helpful and thoroughly gracious.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple