All reviews honeymoon suite old town flights of stairs nice courtyard included breakfast fabulous location inner courtyard desk staff historic center central location the ground floor main plaza double bed no elevator three nights galapagos islands laundry service
Reviewed 15 December 2017 via mobile

Ideally situated in the Centro Histórico. I’ve always asked for the very top floor room: very quiet, very spacious studio type accommodation with a kitchenette. It is ideal for a few days’ stay, with an option to prepare food. However, be prepared to climb up a couple of stair wells and then from the upper yard up to the room. But it is all worth it...the bed is very comfortable, the WC very clean...there is breakfast, simple but ample... it is a very popular hotel, with criss crossing checkins and checkouts, that sometimes rattle the desk staff. If you don’t speak, they tend to forget you. So be patiently assertive. A Very affordable hotel.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
GerenciaHSFQ, Gerente at Hotel San Francisco de Quito, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2018

Dear guest,

Thanks for your comments, we really appreciate you took the time to write about us.

We are happy to know you liked our room and Hotel.

Thanks again!

Reviewed 5 December 2017

Being my first time in Quito, Ecuador; I had had amazed when I realizes that you can find a variety of tourist, gastronomic places ... a variety of beautiful architectural sites around the oldtown, just as this Hotel was.

From the first moment we got in we could see a very well preserved colonial house that has a beautiful main courtyard full of ferns, geraniums and different types of plants that give a unique decoration to the place, the coutyard is the perfect place where you can have relax and read a book or enjoy of some drink.

On the top floor there is a terrace, wich is located 25 meters high; from which you can get a beautiful view of the historic center, also there is a cafeteria where breakfast is served.

The first night our room was a beautiful suite, which had a balcony from which you could see part of the old town, the second time that we returned with my boyfriend, we booked a standard room on the first floor, this room did not have a window, it was a little bit dark, but still it was still cozy, our last night in Quito we were placed in a duplex room which did not lose any charm despite the spiral staircase that has inside it.

Although this hotel is wonderful, there are certain things that should be improved:

The reception staff is very friendly, but beware!! that is depending on the person who attends you, Jimmy the young front desk guy who works in the morning, although he looked very busy, he helped us kindly with all our doubts and questions we had when we arrived. However, on the same day; but in the afternoon another gentleman who was at the reception disappointed us a bit by asking him to help us with a couple of questions, since he was "very busy" when he was actually doing nothing on his cell phone: something annoying He gave us a very poor explanation about a market located near San Blas, without telling us whether or not it would be safe to go to that place, if we should take a taxi or just walk ... in fact, the man got more upset, when we asked him for his colleague that was working in the morning.

Breakfast is something that many people mention as inadequate and poor, but in reality it is very good, compared to other places where we stayed ... one of the things that are really annoying in the cafeteria is attention from the waitresses who serve on the tables, who don´t have any respect at the time of serving the jam or butter; they do not greet you, or If they greet you, they do it in a low voice, my spanish is not very good but at least I know how to greet to others.

The second time we stayed at the hotel was a Wednesday, I remember it very well since I was a little sick due to the altitude and I spent more time in the living area, due to the waitresses made a lot of noise during the day, one of the waitresses had been speaking very high through the cell phone in the aisle on the first floor nearby my room. The same waitress who was making noise outside of my room, seemed to check the suitcases in other rooms.

Due to this, a litlle bit late at night , I asked the front desk guy, for the safe deposit box and very kindly helped me with the key to be able to leave all my valuables in the safe located near the reception.

For these small inconveniences that hotel can make it better I give them a 3star rating, since they should teach the waitresses and the cantankerous gentleman that usually works in the afternoon to greet and treat guests in the way more cordial, since they hardly do it.

Not all its staff is discourteous, but these three people who unfortunately I do not remember their names make this beautiful hotel look very bad.

I had an excellent stay at this hotel, on my next trip to Ecuador I would stay here again

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
GerenciaHSFQ, Gerente at Hotel San Francisco de Quito, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2017

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments, I really really apreciate them!

These helped me to take some actions to improve our service, so thanks again!

Next time you come here, we will be happy to help you in anything you need, and I'm sure we will have a better service.

Reviewed 3 December 2017

Fellow travelers,
I arrived in Quito on November 14th and spent 5 nights at this hotel as a solo traveler.
The room was spacious and the hosts friendly and only spent for the suite $51.00 a night. Couldn't go wrong.
Every day it rained there (2:00 PM till 4:00 PM) but I had done my exploring earlier in the day.
Also found that I was close to the correo which was nice since I like sending postcards of my adventures.
The pictures that others have posted due justice to the accommodations.
Staff at the hotel was super cordial.
Would I stay here again? Probably not but I never stay or travel to the same place twice.

Room Tip: I had a junior suite with balcony overlooking the street.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank FortWorthJeffie

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments, we really appreciate them.

We are glad to know you liked our Hotel and it's location.

Reviewed 26 November 2017

This hotel had some charm in the public areas (very nice courtyard), however the room, while spacious, was much more dated than I would have liked. While the hotel is old and historic, in a really interesting building, the interior rooms need work. The shower worked well and the water was hot, but the bedding was very old and the beds were very soft. We also had no wifi when in our room - only in the common areas. The other disappointment was with the breakfast which was sub-par. Some scrambled eggs, a basket of rolls and some slices of watermelon. Even a better selection of bread would have improved it.

Overall the front desk service was good, but inconsistent. One of the employees at the front desk was incredibly helpful and courteous. The other seemed like we were bothering him whenever we needed something. Overall it was an inexpensive, clean place to stay in the heart of Historic Quito, so great for easy access to the tourist sites. If you're just looking for a basic place to stay, this would be fine.

Room Tip: In the family room with 3 beds, and the wifi did not work, plus our room did not have a safe, which some of the other rooms had.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
GerenciaHSFQ, Gerente at Hotel San Francisco de Quito, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2017

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments they are very helpful for us to always improve our service.

Reviewed 10 November 2017

Located 2 blocks from the central square in the historic district. Very helpful staff and good Spanish practice. Note that some rooms are 4 flights up, no elevator. Great views and the price is good. Breakfast with the room is also good.

Room Tip: best views are on the 4th floor but can be slippery if wet.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
GerenciaHSFQ, Gerente at Hotel San Francisco de Quito, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2017

Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for your comments, we really appreciate them.

Since the House is Historic, one of the 5 oldest in Quito, it is impossible to have an elevator, thanks for your comprehension.