“A really great dinner!”

Bistro Yaku
Ranked #105 of 780 Restaurants in Cuenca
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: International
Description: Yakumama originated from an idea of setting up a hostel and also to create a space with a pleasant and cozy atmosphere to meet up with family, friends and travelers. This project, which was a dream of brothers, has now been established. Bistro Yaku has been built in one of the most difficult times for humanity, however, our dreams and objectives are much bigger than all these adversities, so we are working with dedication, passion and love in what we do. Now, the Yakumama family team, has the satisfaction of offering its new space with contemporary gastronomy, exquisite desserts, coffees and drinks in a cozy and agreeable ambience, playing world music, and even occasionally live music.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

All our dishes were creative and delicious. Beautifully presented. Relaxed but cozy atmosphere. Really enjoyed our dinner. One of our best meals in Cuenca. We will return.

Date of visit: January 2023

Reviewed 13 December 2022 via mobile

I can’t believe this place isn’t ranked higher, but that won’t last for long. Based on the reviews, a friend and I tried it for a late breakfast (she lives in Cuenca, but I was just visiting). It is tucked inside the courtyard of the hostel, but that is perfect - away from the hustle and bustle, it was a peaceful oasis. The breakfast was OUTSTANDING! I had the vegetarian omelet and that description does it no justice! I could not believe the amazing meld of flavors I was experiencing with every bite. We were so impressed, we ended up going back for dinner. (I wish I could remember the name of the sandwich, but it had lamb, lots of vegetables, wonderful sauce and yummy bread and the french fries were SO good!) I sent another friend, who visits Cuenca often, a photo of my breakfast without naming the place and she said, “Bistro Yaku?” I said, “How did you know?” She said it was one of their favorites. Considering I ate there twice in the same day (on a two day visit), it has quickly become one of mine as well.

Date of visit: December 2022
Reviewed 9 July 2022

Check out the evening music programs. Open Mic and rock groups play in an intimate space. Great food and drink service.

Date of visit: July 2022
Reviewed 8 June 2022

I spent five weeks in central Cuenca and visited this restaurant 20-30 times because of the thoughtfulness of the beautiful presentations and the health of the dishes: lots of good vegetables along with their meats and seafood. The deserts are beyond anything you will find in Ecuador. The kitchen staff are highly trained, and if you time it right, you can hear great local music

Date of visit: October 2021
Reviewed 26 November 2021

We went to Bistro Yaku for Thanksgiving dinner & were treated to a fabulous 3-course meal. We were served fruit & champagne cocktails to start, followed by fried sweet potato balls w. a vegetable filling, served w. cranberry sauce. The main course was roast turkey w. a very tasty crust served w. gravy & a delicious stuffing. For dessert we had pecan pie w. ginger ice cream. Everything was remarkably tasty & the service was attentive without interfering with our enjoyable dining experience. I absolutely recommend this restaurant & will be inviting friends to join us there in the near future.

Date of visit: November 2021