“Worst service ever. Get your money to another place!”
Review of Zig Zag Restaurant

Zig Zag Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 445 Restaurants in Arequipa
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: European, Peruvian, Fusion
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Alpandina dishes offered by the Zig Zag Restaurant are the result of a creative culinary fusion deeply rooted in the mountains, where the sun endows foodstuffs with energy and balanced components. The dishes most representative of Alpandino gastronomy arise from a marvellous synthesis of unique time-hallowed ingredients from all over Peru, combined with ancient and modern culinary techniques from the Alps and the Andes. One of the results is our great speciality: Volcanic-Stone-Cooked Meats and Fish. This culinary concept was generated specially by the restaurant's proprietor and Chef, Michel Hediger from Switzerland. During the course of many years in Arequipa, Peru, he has developed an original gastronomic proposal which enables one to savour different kinds of food prepared in an exclusive, healthy and very natural style, so that the restaurant's customers might compare and enjoy the country's different flavours. Located in the Historic Centre of Arequipa, opposite the lovely Plaza San Francisco, the Zig Zag Restaurant, with its impressive cast iron staircase designed by the famous French architect Alexandre Gustave Eiffel, is a unique place to enjoy a gastronomic evening with a difference.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I was very excited about this restaurant with all the good reviews. My wife and I are spending a week in Peru. We've been eating in awesome places like Maido and Central in Lima and very good restaurants like Chicha in Arequipa. Tonight we decided to have dinner at Zig Zag. Something good but casual. We ordered a taboule of three quinoas to share, I ordered a three meat dish (alpaca, veal and duck), and my wife went with the gnocchis. While we were having the taboule I changed my mind about the duck and told the waitress that, if possible, I'd like to have lamb instead of duck since it was an option. She said there was no problem at all. Everything was okay until then. Few minutes later, I got a rack of lamb in front of me. I told the waitress I didn't order that and her answer was "oh so sorry, but this is good too". I was in shock. I didn't know what to say or do. Never happened to me before. What kind of answer is that? After this, my dinner was ruined. Of course no apologies at all and got charged for the lamb I never ordered. I paid and left the place. Again, horrible customer service and of course a place I'd never recommend if you are looking for the right combination of good food and good service.

PS: I'm from Spain so language wasn't the problem.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,706)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Food here was amazing, sizzling meat boards where juicy and tender. Service was friendly and atmosphere was sophisticated. More expensive food that other areas but a good place to go for a nicer/occasion dinner.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Really nice food although quite pricey compared with other local restaurants. I had the vegetarian set menu, the salad and passion fruit desert were both delicious although I found the gnocchi a little tasteless/dry. My partner had the meat trio (alpaca, chicken and beef) and all were cooked to perfection.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We had heard this was the best restaurant in Arequipa, so were pretty excited. The food was nice, definitely worth a bit of extra money, but I'm not sure it was quite worth the hype. However, this might have been because I didn't get the three meat trio that everyone seems to get! Really nice wines.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Booking is essential. We managed to get in on our second night in Arequipa because we tried the first night and it was full.
The service and staff was very good, they were very attentive. The food was good.
At S./236 it is not the cheapest but it was very good.