“Lovely friendly place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Samay Wasi Youth Hostels Cusco

Samay Wasi Youth Hostels Cusco
Ranked #12 of 401 Speciality Lodging in Cusco
Lancashire, United Kingdom
“Lovely friendly place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

I stayed in Samay Wasi I based on tripadvisor reviews and I wasn't disappointed. I stayed there before and after visiting Machu Picchu and my luggage was kept secure whilst away. I stayed in two different single rooms with private bathroom, and would recommend staying on the top floor, as you hear noise through the wooden floors during the night when guests go off on their various tours/treks. Monica is extremely helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. Recommended.

Room Tip: Upstairs is better.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights prior to our inca trail trip in a private room. It is very basic here, but there are at least 4 thick blankets on the bed changed every day, hot water, the most helpful staff who collect you from the airport. 3 nights private cost us 70 dollars. Can not beat this place!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

72 soles for a double room with a private bathroom, including breakfast (the hostel accepts dollars)

This hostel is great however it is very expensive. Therefore I only stayed for two nights before I moved onto a cheaper hostel, of the same quality as I wanted to spend about two weeks in Cusco. (There are plenty of similar hostels for a lot cheaper all around Cusco. Please check this blog out for information).

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was small, it probably had the smallest shower I’ve ever been in but it was fantastic. The shower was incredibly hot and powerful, exactly what you want in Cusco because it’s freezing!

There is free wifi but not in the room I was in.

There is a roof terrace with seating. There is also a comfortable inside lounge area.

The breakfast was bread, butter, jam, coffee or tea and a juice. You could also pay extra to add on eggs or order more.

The main problem I had with my room was that it was absolutely freezing. It was one of the outside rooms with unsealed windows and a large gap underneath the door so the cold air came in easily. This made my stay very uncomfortable. You would probably have a completely different experience if you had a room inside the main house, it would be much warmer.

I would only recommend this hostel if you got a warmer room inside the house. Also on a backpacking budget 72 soles is far too expensive. Throughout my two months in Peru I only ever paid 50 soles for a double room with a private bathroom. I know people will say it’s more expensive in Cusco and I would’ve agreed. But when I wandered the streets I found plenty of decent hostels offering double rooms for 50 soles. You just have to look for them because they are not the hostels with websites. (I moved to Mirador Hostel just off Avenida del Sol, it was 50soles for a double with private bathroom & breakfast).

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Nicola856
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

I stayed here for four nights in total. All the staff were so friendly and helpful! I stayed in a dorm style room that had a large bathroom attached with hot showers. There was internet connection upstairs. They even let me leave my baggage there free for a few days when I went to visit Machu Picchu. Any questions you have Monica or one of the other staff there will be happy to answer and show you where to go. I'd definitely recommend this hostel!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights in Cusco. The hostel is located in the San Blas neighborhood, which means you're going to be walking up lots of stairs and hills to get back to your room. The bonus of that is there are few cars in this neighborhood, making it very quiet and peaceful in an otherwise busy tourist town. The room was a little funky (sink held up with re-bar, one wall of the room was actually the hillside cemented in with rocks, etc) but it was clean, we never ran out of hot water (there was even hot water in the sink!) breakfast was good, wifi signal was decent (had to be outside of our rooms to use it). The staff was very helpful and spoke some English.

My only complaint is that it was a bit cold, and the rooms could have a been a bit better insulated, but that's to be expected in winter time.

I would recommend this hostel for travelers on a budget looking for some serenity!

Room Tip: The lower level rooms are a bit noisy.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple