“Lovely place, lovely people.” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Casa de Mama Cusco Recoleta
Ranked #79 of 162 Hotels in Cusco
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Lovely place, lovely people.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2011

I stayed for five week from june untill july 2011. from the moment Laura met me at the airport I felt very comfortable at home. During my whole time there if I had a problem, it would be fixed immediately. The rooms and en suite are cleaned every day, and the whole place was spotless.
The staff were happy to organize tours and a hotel in a another city if it was needed.
I loved my time there, it's more of a home away from home than a hotel!
Ask luis to teach you how to make a Pisco Sour!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

I spent 8 weeks in Hostal Girasoles while gaining work experience at a hospital in Cusco. The hostel is located on a quiet street (without traffic) around 5 minutes walk from the Plaza de Armas. It was great being so close to the centre of the city, yet without the 24/7 noise of taxis buzzing up and down the street.

When I arrived in Cusco, the friendly Laura picked me up from the airport. The personal welcome and complimentary cab ride from the airport was very much appreciated. Furthermore, I was welcomed with a hot cup of coca tea when I arrived at the hostel, to help with my altitude sickness. The hostel’s owner Mercedes greeted me by saying ‘I will be like your mother for the next 8 weeks, please let me know if there is anything I can do to make your stay more comfortable’.

The staff at the hostel - Laura, Luis and Rodrigo – where very helpful with organising tours, recommending safe places to eat, and in helping me organise transport to other destinations in Peru & throughout South America. They were above all very honest. I strongly disagree with the previous comment left on trip advisor by ‘smason4’ regarding the ‘dishonesty’ of the staff. They are all very honest, and were like family throughout my stay.

The hostel is always very clean, and the housekeeping staff are very friendly and hardworking. Showers were reliably (very!) hot, and the ensuite to my room always clean. Fast Wi-Fi Internet is available on all 3 floors, and even on the roof, so that you can check your emails while enjoying the view over the whole of Cusco. The roof is also a great place to enjoy an ice cold Cusquena (local beer).

A fresh continental breakfast is served every morning, and basic cooking facilities are available should you wish to cook your own meals throughout your stay.

Hostal Girasoles was a great place to stay, and I highly recommend it to all people planning a trip to Cusco.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Palm0
Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

I had high hopes for Hostal Girasoles based on the reviews; however, I was quire disappointed in the quality of my week long stay.

The Pros: The hostal is relatively clean. The staff is friendly, unless there is a problem.

Cons: Lots of dog feces and even a dead animal in the alley way where the hostal is located. Leftovers from breakfast are reused so there were a few hairs in the butter, dirt on the rolls, etc.

The noise is horrible. Roosters, the night manager's guitar/parties, the maid slamming doors, etc. I was on the 2nd floor and could here every word spoken in the first floor lobby. I also stayed on the third floor. It was a bit better.

The main reason I am leaving such a poor review for this hostal is because of the dishonesty of the staff. Let me explain: The hostal will try to sell your tours of surrounding areas. I told them specifically that tours were not in my budget and I would be exploring the area myself. “No problem,” they assured, “the tours are included in the priced of the tourist ticket.” (The tourist ticket is a voucher good for access to a dozen or so historical sites) Since I was already planning on purchasing the tourist ticket, I agreed to go on the “included” tours, which ended up being awful. One tour was cut short because the guide was uncomfortable in the weather, and I had to translate for English-speaking visitors in the other “English” tour. Anyway, the main point is that the hostal tried to charge me an extra $180 for 4 tours (over 500 soles!) upon my departure. They were very rude about the situation and insisted that I was “so silly” for thinking the tours were included. Because they had blatantly lied to me when they said the tours were included when I initially refused them, I did not pay the $180. Instead, I filed a report with the tourist police, who insisted I should not pay the extra charge, and left immediately. Of course, I paid the agreed upon price for the room before departure.

I would not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Inspired_Traveler17
MercedesCusco, Gerente at Casa de Mama Cusco Recoleta, responded to this review, 9 November 2011
It is the first time that some guest calls us "dishonest" I think no where in the world the tours that include professional tourist guide , tourist bus and a buffet lunch in one of them, for 2 people along a week coul be "included in the room rate, mostly when this rate is usa$40 for 2 people, breakfast included.
The tours were developed along the week , visiting the most important archeological sites .
Sounds so difficult to understand, why you stay with us, without any complain during your stay, only at the check out time you did not want to pay for the services.
We allways accept the suggestions of our guest to improve our service and we are well rewieved by the people who stayed with us and we can not accept the tittle of "dishonest" because we work according to the rules and we try to be clear since the first moment, when we pick the tourist up at the airport, we are recognized as a helpfull staff instead as "dishonest".
I only want to suppose that it was abig misunderstanding.
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

OK value for money. Extremely friendly people who will come pick you up at the airport

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

As stated by others it's a little ways from City Center (about 2 blocks), however the walk is very interesting and easy. They have a little kitchen that you can use and they prepare a small breakfast for you in the morning. The staff is very helpful with other travels in the area. I was on my way to Machu Picchu and they happened to have another hotel in Ollantaytambo so I was able to set up a room there no problem!
A little noisy trying to sleep towards the back with a rooster chicken crowing in the middle of the night!

Room Tip: Get a room towards the front otherwise you will hear the chickens crow al night!