“Mind open, heart open”

Etnikas Ayahuasca Retreats
Ranked #60 of 929 Tours in Cusco
More attraction details
Owner description: Our ayahuasca retreats have been developed with both Andes Qero and Amazonian Shipibo Shaman. They come from families with traditions of shamanism, using centuries-old traditions and techniques. The retreat is run in a traditional manner extending from the way the plant medicine is prepared to the ancient knowledge and customs of the Shipibo and Qero cultures.The traditional base of the retreat is tempered with modern medical practices to ensure our guest safety and allow them to assimilate the experience in the best way possible. The retreat include two ayahuasca ceremonies. Etnikas has a multi-disciplinary health team consisting of a Cardiologist, Psychiatrist, Psychologist, General Practitioner, Emergency nurse who complement the highly experienced native Andean and Amazonian shaman. A Doctor is on site 24 hours a day during retreats with access to a full range of state of the art emergency medical equipment. We have been operating for over 30 years (much longer than other retreat centers) and safety has always been our top priority. We have a vast amount with over 7200 satisfied guests coming to our center. Trip advisor have granted us the ‘certificate of excellence’ for the last 4 years consecutively (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016) with over 200 five star reviews.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed 5 April 2013 via mobile

My fascination with the ancient medicine Ayahuasca started long before I got to South America. I understood it was not for the faint hearted and therefore decided to not seek it out. If an opportunity to participate in the sacred ceremony presented itself and it felt right then I would see where it lead me. After a series of comical mixups and a yoga retreat that never happened, my friend and I found ourselves in the Etnika office.

We were greeted by Teddy who was both professional and passionate. There was no marketing or pressure, just the facts about an Ayahuasca retreat. There was no doubt in my mind that the time and place was now.

Less than 24 hours later our journey began in the tranquil and healing space where the retreat took place. The shamans we were working with were humble, kind and immediately put me at ease. The coca leaf reading and the offering to Pachama were both beautiful and surreal. I felt very privileged to be a part of something so traditional and sacred.

As night came, I felt prepared and excited for the unknown. Annnnnd there was a fair dose of nervousness! The Ayahuasca ceremony isn't pretty but the childlike wonder, joy, liberty and clarity I experienced blew my mind. I have never felt so connected, calm, safe and loved.

The next morning we made the decision to extend our stay. After a day of noble silence and contemplation I was ready to go deeper. For me, this is where the real cleansing and purification took place. Again it wasn't all pretty and there was some deep seeded pain brought to meet me but this is what I came for.

I left with profound gratitude for Pachamama herself, the Shamans and Teddy for holding the space to allow such sacred healings to take place.

I highly recommend Etnikas and the team and won't hesitate to take another journey when the time is right.

2  Thank Ezzie G

Reviewed 4 April 2013

My partner and I spent 2 nights at Etnikas. The space is simple. what you need, nothing more, nothing less. The people are incredibly thoughtful and generous of heart and spirit. It was an ideal situation for my experience. The shaman were perfect and genuine, and I have been reflecting and learning from my time there for many months now.

Reviewed 3 April 2013

My time at Etnika's a couple weeks ago was a cleansing and transcendent experience. Three days of noble silence and introspection was a welcome break from the constant stimulation of traveling, and I left feeling refreshed and present. I was nervous going into the retreat, because everyone I had talked to about Ayahuasca had drastically different experiences and I had no idea what to expect. The peacefulness of the location, the positive energy of the shamans, and the assistant Teddy's guidance quickly put me at ease. The first Ayahuasca session was more of a cleansing experience for me, during which I felt the energy of the medicine and saw a few visions. The second night was a breathtaking out-of-body experience during which I gained some much-needed insight into my life and spirituality. Throughout the whole thing I felt safe and cared for. Teddy was fantastic- spending both nights looking after everyone in the group and acting (for me) as a grounding factor when the effects of the medicine felt overwhelming. If you are going to try Ayahuasca, I highly recommend doing it here.

2  Thank Jessie B
Reviewed 2 April 2013

At first, I was quite sceptical about trying Etnikas, thinking that it might be nothing more than ”ayahuasca tourism” meant to cash in on the ancient shamanic ritual, or at best a hokey spiritual retreat jam-packed with new-age hippies and risk-seeking tourists looking for a thrill. But after doing a 2-day, 1-night private ayahuasca retreat, it's safe to say that Etnikas is the real deal. The retreat began modestly as we were picked up in a rickety van and driven along a rocky uphill path to the retreat center in Huayllapampa, which overlooks the breathtaking Montaña Alegre 30 minutes outside of Cusco. After getting settled, we were introduced to two shamans, Francisco and Angelito, who performed a number of shamanic rituals in preparation for our ayahuasca ceremony. I especially enjoyed the Coca Leaf reading, where I had a private meeting with Francisco as he analysed my chakras in health, spirit, work, family and love with spot-on accuracy. The shamans had an overwhelmingly positive aura to them that helped cast off any fears I had concerning their authenticity. After a ceremonial offering to mother earth, we had a number of hours to explore the surrounding area and rest. This was all done in "noble silence" - which, while challenging, was an extremely necessary part of the process and ultimately rewarding. While these various precautionary practices may seem like hippie nonsense, they were essential in making the ayahuasca ceremony an enlightening experience. After taking the medicine, the main assistant Tedy was more than helpful in making sure that each participant was comfortable and safe. Aneth - the lady who brewed and administered the ayahuasca - sang soothing lullabies and shook maracas to enhance the experience as we embarked on our personal journeys, which, for me, was nothing short of amazing. Without getting too much into the details, I will say that my experience with ayahuasca has temporarily rid of me of any negative influences and made me appreciate the world in a new way. The next morning, we woke up early for a breakfast that can best be described as "bland" before sharing each of our personal experiences - which marked the first time we were allowed to talk aside from getting help from the assistants. At this point, hearing each participant share their unique and inspiring stories made me realize the unlimited potential of this medicine. Put simply, ayahuasca is not a drug, but a medicine, and if people can see past the negative stigma attached to it and use it in ritualistic, spiritual settings such as Etnikas, its rewards can be plentiful. It is my hope that the good people of Etnikas will be able to spread their mission around the world so that other people may be introduced to this wonderful gift from mother earth.

5  Thank Daniel M
Reviewed 2 April 2013

A real life changing experience! The whole thing was done with up most respect and attention to my well being. I felt safe and secure with a a doctor on hand during the experience and the way the shaman handled the process left me having the single most powerful positive experience of my life. The feeling I left the retreat with was very grounding and gave added a physicality to spirituality. Thank you to all the people involved!! I'll be back...

52  Thank Mark D