US$149
US$289
  • Pool
US$135
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$154/night.

US$132
US$113
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$128/night.

US$60
US$67
US$52
  • Restaurant
US$70
All reviewssan blaseggsnice place to stayrainbow mountainlocation was perfectquiet streetclose to the main squaretrip to machu picchuamirawifiausangateperubagsteastrektour
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I took a taxi from the main square to this hostel. I showed the taxi driver the address but he dropped me on the other side of the street. I called the hostel and the nice stuff Eloy was waiting for me on the street. He helped me to carry my luggage upstairs into my room after checking in.

It´s 15 min walk from Plaza de Armas uphill. It might be hard on the first day of your arrival due to the high altitude. Once you get used to this height, you can enjoy many interesting stuff on the way back to hostel, interesting shops, restaurants, local artists.

The room is not that cold compared with the previous hostel I stayed in Cusco. Somebody said it´s heated but I´m not sure about this. Hot shower with good pressure. They even offer you a safe in the bedroom, I didn´t use it though.

The breakfast here is great, bread with jam and butter, tea/coffee, fried/scrambled eggs, fresh juice. They called me a taxi to the train station and to the bus station as well, with reasonable price. (Note that the taxi driver might ask you more for the ride, just give him the price the working stuff told you. Ignore their greed.)

I left Cusco on a late bus (8pm). They left me to use the computer after my check out. I also stored my luggage here.

Great place to stay!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Boyi G
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We met some travellers in Cuenca who recommended Hostal El Grial to us and we are glad they did! We felt very safe here. It is located in a quiet and charming area of San Blas and I so much enjoyed wandering the streets of this fascinating area. The staff were wonderful - friendly and helpful in every way. I highly recommend El Grial.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chris L
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We have just spent 8 nights in Hostal El Grial in Cusco. It is located in San Blas, a very nice area of Cusco, also known as the artist quarter. It's not far from the main area of Cusco. We walked everywhere, the uphill is not that bad, besides, it's great to wander the streets and see more of Cusco. We found many different ways to get to the main square, each way showing us a different view of Cusco.The hostal is really secure. The front door is always closed and you need to ring the bell to get in, which means no-one who shouldn't be there can't get in. The courtyard inside the hostal is very pretty, it's an old colonial home.

The rooms are spacious. The beds are comfy and warm. Our room was at the back of the hotel looked out over Cusco, amazing views in the day and night. There is 24hrs hot water. Daily room service if you want it. The breakfast are really nice, bread, eggs, juice, coffee or tea. There are dogs everywhere in Cusco and so they bark alot in the evenings but we didn't notice them in our room. I've been in much, much louder cities.

The staff are very warm and welcoming! They are happy to help you with any problems. Most of them speak great English as well as Spanish!

My partner and I spent a week here learning Spanish in their spanish school (South American Spanish School) doing 4hrs every morning. We booked into group classes and it was just us, so it was like personal classes. The teachers were very professional and lovely. The workbooks we got were really good and we definitely will be referring to them during the rest of our travels in South America. Because we did the Spanish class we got a discount on the accommodation and free laundry service (5kg/each/week). The laundry service was great too, prompt and clothes really clean.

Overall great stay. The only thing is the address on Tripadvisor is wrong. It should be Carmen Alto street 112 - San Blas, Cusco, Peru. It is definitely the same place. The photos in this site are a little obscure too, i would check out their website to get a better idea of how it looks. I cannot recommend them enough, for the hostal and the Spanish school.

Room Tip: We only stayed in the back rooms but we got a great view over Cusco. It is a triple though, so we pushed our beds together.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emma C
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Long-time staffer Eloy is a wonderful help, and the hotel is right-sized and quiet in the prettiest part of the historic Cusco. The beautiful Sacsaywayman park, the best restaurants and most other attractions are easily walkable, once you're acclimated. (Take taxis until you are, especially uphill.) The triple room costs a litttle more but is large and has a great view of the city and mountains.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2011

Highly recommend El Grial. The staff are great and they will bend over backwards to help you out. When we left for the Salkantay trek they packed us an early breakfast which was a great touch. They also held onto our bags for when we got back and everything was still in tact.
Not far from the Plaza de Armes as well.
Try get a room away from the road as it can be quite noisy at night time with dogs barking and lorrys reversing etc.

Room Tip: Room 202 is the best room in the house with great views.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends