“Truly wonderful stay”
Review of The Garden House

The Garden House
Ranked #75 of 172 Hotels in Cusco
Reviewed 16 April 2016

My wife and I stayed at The Garden House twice as we stayed there both prior to and after our Inca Trail trek. It's truly an amazing place and you feel like you walk into an old English beautiful home with history surrounded by beautiful gardens. The Garden House is owned and run by two sisters, Cici and Doris, who turned their childhood home into this lovely B&B. They immediately make you feel welcome and give you a tour of the house which is absolutely beautiful. We particularly liked the living area which is divided into different areas for dining and relaxing. The place is full of books including travel books about Peru, the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu and you can spend hours sitting in one of the couches and just roaming through all the interesting books to choose from. You have traditional paintings on the wall and as well as Peruvian art effects spread around the rooms.

The outside garden was in full bloom and really beautiful when we were there which just made the place much more special. Our room was big and comfortable with separate rooms like an en-suite and all windows overlooking the garden area. The room also has a heater which is needed at night for much of the year. There is also plenty of space for your luggage and to hang your clothes in the cupboards.

Cici and Doris are absolutely wonderful, and we felt like we had two mothers looking after us during our stay. They are extremely helpful and thoughtful and we were even given a mobile with a local number which we could use in case of any issues when out and about town. We were also lucky to meet all their children who were visiting from near and far and they were all so warm and welcoming.

A favorite time was breakfast which was just wonderful and delicious. Fresh coffee, freshly squeezed juice, freshly made scrambled eggs and toast, delicious local cereal, avocado, fresh fruit and more. It was served in the dining area while calm and relaxing music where playing in the background. What a way to start your day!

Location wise it is a little away from the center of town and if you need to go anywhere you will need a taxi. But ultimately you are only 15-20 minutes from the center of Cuzco (10 soles) and having some peace and quite after walking around the city center was quite nice.

If we ever come back to Cuzco we would definitely come back to The Garden House again!

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank SINKBAEK

Reviewed 20 March 2016

On our next trip to Cusco, Peru we are going to stay in Garden House again. Ceci and Doris takes such a good care of their guests that I'm certain it's a best place to stay in Cusco.
Check in time is customary 12noon, we arived 6am to Cusco airport and there was a driver waiting for us. Room was ready and coca tea was waiting.
The house itself is located short drive away from the city's center. Taxi drive was an atraction in itself since you can see not so touristy areas of this always so loud and crowded metropolital area. We felt copletely safe and pampered during our 6day/5night stay. For a family of 4 we had nice and quiet suite w 2 rooms and a nice bathroom. In July nights are very cold in Cusco, we appreciated having space heaters in each room.
Before coming, comunication was excellent, one of the sisters always responded to all the questions I had. I've asked and they arranged all the site-seeing trips for us-and all the drivers and guides were outstanding. We did all "required" touristy things in Cusco, all of them are really worthy of doing. Just a warning-trip to Machu Pichu for 4 of us was more expensive than our entire hotel bill.
I did a lot of research for this trip, we could have stayed at any hotel, but I'm coming back to Garden house on our next trip. Can't wait!
Thank you, Ceci and Doris!

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 March 2016 via mobile

Lovely hosts, lovely house, large room, clean and comfortable. Gorgeous garden. They made me feel like family. It's in a non-tourist area so off the beaten path but with good local food nearby. They made a really yummy breakfast too. At night they give you a phone so you can call for a taxi. So helpful! Thank you ladies for everything!

Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2016

The Garden House is unlike any other experience I've ever had for accommodations away from home. Doris and Cecilia treated my wife and I like we were family from the moment we arrived until the moment we went to the airport for our departure. They gave us a cell phone for the entire trip, asked us to call them for driving arrangements anytime we were in town, made us food, got food delivered for us to the House, and basically did everything your most caring relatives would do if you were staying at their house! They were the ultimate hosts, and I wish there was a way to have the same service and hospitality delivered anywhere I stay around the world. They are amazing hosts!
In terms of the House, it has large, beautiful grounds, with many trees and flowers. Our room was a suite with a sitting area/living room and a separate bedroom. It was unbelievably quiet and we had beautiful views of the garden from our room's windows.
I recommend the Garden House to anyone planning a trip to Cusco; you will not regret it!

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 26 January 2016

Ceci and Doris (they are sisters and it’s their family home) and Ceci’s son Diego are excellent hosts, very kind people and very helpful. We only stayed at their beautiful and leisurely “The Garden House” for 1 night - but they made sure we had the best experience possible. All of them speak better English than I do - so language was never a problem!

Firstly, they organised Taxi pick-up for us from “El Albergue Ollantaytambo” hotel back to “The Garden Hosue Cusco”. The Taxi driver arrived on time, with an English interpreter. This was very thoughtful of Ceci as my Spanish very limited.

We arrived at “The Garden House” at around 10.00 am. We were greeted by Ceci’s son Diego. Although, his hand was injured - he insisted on helping us with our luggage - a true gentleman. He knew that we were in Cusco for one day only- so instead of us wasting time doing checking-in and filling out paperworks, he suggested that we get changed ASAP and go for the Cusco day-tour which was pre-arranged by Ceci.

As I mentioned, my Spanish is terrible. The taxi driver was the nicest guy in the world, but unfortunately he didn’t speak English (not his fault, in fact I should have learned basic Spanish before going to Peru). But, surprisingly - the language barrier ended up not being a problem at all.

Prior to arriving, I emailed my plan to Ceci - which included trips to Sacsayhuaman, Plaza De Armas, La Catedral, Biblioteca Municipal Cusco and Plaza San Blas. Ceci relayed that back to the driver and explained that we want him to wait outside each spot for 20-30 minutes as we explore the location. Ceci also provided us with a mobile phone with local SIM card so we could call her in case we needed her to interpret our instructions back to the driver in Spanish. This was a nice touch and very thoughtful of her - although, we never needed to call her as she did such a good job explaining the driver what our plan for the day was.

Ceci and Diego even gave us a map of Cusco with marks showing the route we are going to take, and were we need to wait for the taxi to pick-us up in-between stops as finding parking can be difficult at times. This was very informative and helpful. I was really amazed how organised and prepared they were to attend our needs.

After completing the day-tout, we invited the driver to join us for lunch at the “Green Point Vegan Restaurant” and we paid for his meal. He was such a nice guy to deal with. He took us everywhere we wanted and returned us safely back to “The Garden House Cusco”. He even took us to the Cusco airport the next morning. We are very grateful to Ceci, Doris and Diego for making everything super-easy for us.

Couple of things about the Garden House Cusco. The name “Garden House” is very fitting as the entire property consists of carefully planted trees and flowering plants - it’s really beautiful. Doris, Ceci’s sister, is an avid gardener and loves spending time in the garden. If you see her, stop by and have a chat - she seems to have encyclopaediac knowledge of Peruvian native plants. Take a stroll around the property as they don’t mind that at all - but be mindful of where you are stepping as you don’t want to damage Doris’ beloved plants. There is an apple orchard at the back of the house, sit on the bench and relax - you will love it. There is a dog in the property, but she is super nice and in addition, she is a rescue dog. I took few pictures of her.

Also, you will see LOTS of wonderful ‘reportage’-type photographs around the house - mostly taken by famed photographer and moviemaker Paul Yule. I have interest in the history of photography - so I really enjoyed my chat with Ceci and learned a lot from her. I picked up the DVD “Martin Combi and the Heirs of the Incas” from Ceci - which I thoroughly enjoyed watching.

As for hotel facilities and the rooms - it’s just perfect. It looks like a charming home and feels like a charming home. Everything, the decor, the plants, the photographs are well-positioned and well-thought-out and they reflect Ceci and Doris’ interest in art and culture.

If you are in Cusco, and looking for some peace and quietness, “The Garden Hosue” is the place to stay as it is a short 10 minute taxi ride from the city centre. You will not find more attentive and helpful hosts anywhere else. I highly recommend this place and can’t wait to return.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple