Thunderbird Hotel J. Pardo
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Great 4.5/5
  • Room Service
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbig bedroomliving roomfour starnice hotelsouth americawalking distancerooms are cleanfront desk staffluxurymirafloresmaintenanceperuneighborhood
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 August 2009

Please not that this hotel is now named "Thunderbird Pardo".
For 4 long stay (1 month) trips in Lima those 13 last years, it is my favorite: rooms are huge, location perfect within close reach of Miraflores, on a nice road with trees and 15 minutes safe walk to the seaside. A large junior suite averages US$ 160, which is quite good value. Despite its age, it is very well preserved. The bed is most comfortable, no penny saved there. I had a problem with the airco noise which suddenly went mad at 2:00 am: without much hope, I called the reception and 10 minutes later the maintenance staff came to see, and even better 10 minutes later it was solved! (yes, they have maintenance staff around the clock). Breakfast is average, but they have good fresh fruit juice and fruit. As for 2 complains in the previous reviews:
. Yes, it is noisy from the road, because they did not invest in soundproof windows. This is the biggest problem, and you should bring your earplugs.
- Yes, they charge US$ 50 per additional overnight guest. There is no problem at all during daytime. If you register a friend or 2 beforehand, there is no such problem, and they will charge only US$ 10 if they stay overnight. They are not the only one to blame: Peruvian tax authorities are very zealous, and wish to charge VAT on any Peruvian national visiting. So there is room for negotiation with the Sales Manager if you stay long time. But if a guy tries his luck with a girl found in a disco (Tequila Bar anyone?), he will have to pay the US$ 50 at reception.... I am wondering about the policy of other hotels now, I think it becomes the rule in Lima.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 July 2007

Hello

I have been all over the world and stayed in many different hotels. This hotel, the Apart Hotel Las Americas, while it had a nice facility, I hated the place. I have been to Peru many times, and have over 60 days in Lima under my belt. So I know this is not a typical experience.

The problem was that I felt like I was under surveillance the entire time. I stayed here for 20 days and would have left if I had not paid in advance. They had a very strict visitor policy. First, they took the ID of any visitor I had and made them fill out a form, every time. Even if they had been there the day before. I felt they were trying to keep the local Peruvians out of the hotel. Because the policy did not seem strict when my friends were Westerners. I hated the whole process and thought it demeaning.

They also had a policy of ten dollars per visitor if they came after 9 PM. They never advised me of this and sprung it on me about mid way thru the stay. Nothing started in Lima before 11 PM, so forget having friends over to kill time until the party started. Why have a three room Suite with two couches and a wet bar if you cant entertain?

I realize they were trying to protect stupid Americans but the atmosphere was truly Closterphobic. I recommend staying anywhere but here.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank JessUSA
Reviewed 3 November 2006

in the four nights we spent at Las Americas in Lima, we needed to change our rooms five times mostly due to plumbing problems and other minor problems. Not recommended!

• Stayed: October 2006
2  Thank Jetxi
Reviewed 20 September 2006

We stayed here for two nights when we first moved to Peru, before we carried on to Arequipa. We checked in at 2:30 am, into a suite that was practically an apartment - kitchenette and bar, living room with fold-out bed, bedroom with king-sized bed, whirlpool tub . . . everything was clean and tidy. Although we hadn't dealt directly with the hotel, since my husband's work booked it, they had provided a classy solid-wood crib with lovely linens for our one-year-old.

I was very sick with a cold the whole time we were there, so we ate all our meals in the room. Room service was excellent and reasonably priced, the staff were friendly, competent, and great with the kids. The closet was big enough to become a fort for my 3-year-old who, thanks to the great room service, spent the whole time playing restaurant.

It was a bit noisy, and I found that the air conditioner was clunky and smelled a bit musty - but it had to be on, because otherwise the rooms got muggy and oppressive. A pool would have been nice with the kids. Only these small considerations keep me from giving this hotel the full 5 stars.

• Stayed: February 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 23 November 2005

I have stayed at this hotel twice and both times found the suites to be very comfortable and clean. The hotel has a good restaurant, Club 21, in the lobby, and is in a conveinent location in Miraflores to access other areas of the city. It is located on a busy street, and the noise can be a problem, but Lima in general is a noisy city, and that is just something you have to contend with. The suites are a good size, with a separate sitting area and bedroom.

The hotel itself is quiet, and the staff friendly and very helpful. The concierge was very helpful in making reservations and travel arrangements.

The only detraction to this hotel, and the reason I didn't give it five stars, is that it seems in need of remodeling. While the rooms are clean and well kept, it is apparent that the furniture well used. Twenty years ago this hotel must have been the hight of luxury, but now it feels dated.

• Stayed: November 2005, travelled on business