“My Favorite Restaurant Anywhere!”
Review of Astrid & Gaston

Astrid & Gaston
Ranked #76 of 2,898 Restaurants in Lima
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Peruvian
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: San Isidro
Description: Peruvian restaurant where creativity, quality, integration and commitment converge. Tasting menu is only served from 13:00 to 14:30 and from 19:00 to 22:30
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Gaston is an amazing, innovating and authentic chef. His Peruvian classics are made with his own twist and lovely presentation. I have been to this restaurant four or five times and have also tried his now closed restaurant in Quito and New York. I loved them all, but somehow this is my favorite. Try the pork. It's amazing.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,310)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I went there with my husband and two friends. Since the minute we arrived at this venue we knew it was going to be special. The venue is an old colonial hacienda called Casa Moreira which has been renovated and it’s just stunning. The service was impeccable, the waiter spoke English which was good for my husband, he recommended some dishes and we went for the A la Carte selection.
We ordered cocktails which where I think to my husband and I the best that we have had in years! beautifully presented and tasty.
Food was spectacular! sooo good! presentation was also another level! We loved it! Desserts were amazing too - Try the Suspiro and the Chocolate mouse from different regions of Peru....yum!! Also go for a walk around, the place is fantastic, the bathroom is so funky too!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

As we walked in, the ambiance was lively and you feel the magnificence of A beautifully restored Spanish style mansion with all the modern comforts. The bar is on the spacious outdoor patio surrounded by tables a flight up. The main seating room is dimmed and romantic and has a view of the kitchen through the glass wall. The music is modern and not too loud. Now for our experience...we were dining with children (although well behaved and certainly used to eating in fine restaurants) so we were not surprised or offended when we were placed off in a corner of the outdoor seating. We sat for about thirty minutes with our cheese plate having to ask for the wine menu bc no drinks were ever offered. Once the wine arrived, I received the end of a bottle served at my table and not enough to be even a mediocre pour. No new bottle ever reappeared to top it off. In fact, when I finished, which didn't take long as it was such a tiny pour, my glass was taken and I was never offered another drink. That being said, they kept opening Perrier without asking to the point that we ended up leaving full bottles on the table. It was hard to know who the waiter was and the best one, the younger of the two seemed to be in training...he was wonderful. The other spoke very little, did very little but was there for the check and also checked out his tip at the table. Which should have been lower than it was. Once the mains arrived nobody checked to see how we were doing until they pulled our plates. Dessert menu also has to be requested as did the tab to two different waiters. We wanted more wine and we wanted dessert and we might have spent another $100 there had the staff been actually waiting tables instead of going through the motions. The food was hit or miss, cheese plate and breads rocked, appetizer okay, raviolis were sooooo delicious but the gnocchi dish was average. I would recommend checking the menu out online bc it mostly heavy/rich, only two vegetarian options, and virtually no greens, vegetables or lighter fairs. It is not a menu for everyone. The kitchen was quite efficient and food presentation was what we come to expect from Gastón. We frequent Gaston's restaurants and have always been excited to try new ones. This was supposed to be his baby and for us was a letdown. But we know that every dining experience plays on so many variables. We will give it another try, without kids and see if we are treated better. For now our best experiences were Maido, el Mercado, Central and Rafael.

1  Thank drlaurel
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My husband and I had dinner last night with our children. We have enjoyed the privilege of dining at some of the finest restaurants in the world. While the food was good, my 14-year-old foodie pointed out that there is so much going on with every dish that after one, the myriad flavours and sauces become overwhelming —even distracting—to the food you are trying to enjoy. Sometimes less is more.

Tuna tartar started was exceptional. Take a pass on the octopus.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Had dinner at Astrid & Gaston with a group of colleagues while on business in Lima. We were all seriously impressed with the restaurant, the service and especially the fantastic food.
The restaurant offers a modern cuisine that fuses flavors from around the world, but is solidly grounded in Peruvian ingredients. The variety of interesting dishes makes choosing very hard, but in the end I went with guinea pig cooked Peking-duck style for appetizer and suckling pig for main dish. Both were amazing - flavorful and inventive.
The restaurant also offers an interesting selection of cocktails and before dinner I went with a gin-based cocktail that was excellent.
To frame this wonderful experience, the restaurant is located in an old historic building that provides an amazing atmosphere.
Service was professional and helpful throughout.
Would love to dine there again.