Fare Suisse Tahiti(Papeete)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$99
  • Free Internet
Mahana Lodge Hostel & Bacpacker(Papeete)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$349
InterContinental
  • Beachfront
Orbitz.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 April 2014

The hostel is quit - that is the only nice thing I can say.

The owner is very suspicious: I did not get a key, only get a blanket on request. the place is dark and dull. the matraze are horribly old and worn out. There was only on nice one a little upstairs in the dorm, I was not allowed to take it ("only for couples" - but it was tiny (like 1,15m to small for couples).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Martin K
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Stayed in the dorm room for 1 night only.

Location: aprox 10 minutes drive from the airport (taxis charge an outrageous 1,500-2000 for that - so share with others) and a 5 minute walk, from the ferry port. If you're travelling onwards to nearby islands, then try to make most of the morning market and Carrefour here for supplies, first. We found produce was fresh and more affordable than Mo'orea for instance.

Room is basic - bunk beds with bottom sheet cover. It was so hot, with no fan, ventilation or AC (remote taken away) but after asking, the owner kindly switched it on for us. No mosquito nets or top sheet - so particularly latter, bring your own.

We didn't use the kitchen, but it looked well equipped and traveller friendly.

Bathroom is basic, privacy not ideal through loose curtain - hot shower though.

All as you'd expect from a dorm, wouldn't go so far as to agree its 'legendary' or 'wonderful' (though puppies were!). Cheapest option we found and felt relatively safe so would recommend in terms of price and location, for short and flight connection stopovers.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LettsieLondon
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Owner Kay and daughter were truly hospitable and we have high praise for this little hostel ten minutes walk from the waterfront. Our second floor room was quiet and comfortable. When we needed assistance and recommendations, they were readily provided, along with help in making tour arrangements. We stayed there before and after our Paul Gauguin cruise... and when we discovered our luggage was overweight, they provided a box and shipped it home for us (at our expense, of course). When transiting Papeete for the islands, you only need to think Teamo Hostel if friendly service and simple, comfortable arrangements are the order of the day.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wayanad14
Reviewed 4 June 2013 via mobile

When I came to French Polynesia I largely followed the advice of others: get out of Papeete and onto the other more beautiful islands as quick as possible. It is also within walking distance of the ferry terminal. In this way, Teamo works great. It is more of a South American style hostel in terms of its cleanliness, but also in terms of its price. I searched long and hard and found nothing that approached the price of its dorm rooms. For this reason only, I would stay again, but only in transit to or from other places in French Polynesia.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank dray17
Reviewed 12 March 2013

For a normal traveller Teamo Hostel is just the only option to stay over in Papeete, the price is around 21.50 EUR per night, whereas other hostels are around 70 EUR.

In the general uncomfortable and expensive situation of Tahiti, Teamo Hostel was a relief for me. I loved the atmosphere of the hostel, I found really nice the guy who lives below the roof in the dorm (Robert), I loved the huge and soft cats who were all around me while cooking albacore in the kitchen.

The facilities are good, and the hostel is very well located in the center of Papeete. The only not very good thing, the hostel is a bit dirty, but I didn’t mind, I found much dirtier places in the world.

In my mind, this place is still associated with a feeling of adventure, maybe because I saw it as the only ‘safe place’ among expensive and exhausting French Polynesia; or, more probably, because of the highly interesting travelers I met there. Tahiti in the past has been a meeting point for travelers and wanderers, among them also some legendary or important people (Fletcher Christian, Robert Louis Stevenson, Somerset Maugham, Paul Gauguin, just to say a few names): I like to think that if still unknown legendary people of nowadays would meet somewhere in Tahiti, this would be in a place like Teamo Hostel rather than in a five stars expensive hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo