“Bohemian Rhapsody”

Cuisines: French, Gastropub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 March 2018

Nice little French Bistro in Papeete. I loved the Duck Breast with Fois Gras. I also had the baked mussels.. My wife enjoyed the mahi in puff pastry. The service was friendly and efficient and not overpowering. The atmosphere was very laid back similar to a Paris bistro. The attire was very eclectic with one elderly gentleman in a t-shirt (weird), while other folks were dressed up. I would have liked it better but there was entirely too much garlic for my taste in some of the dishes, overpowering. I could not eat the potatoes au gratin. The baked mussels were at the limit of my garlic. I like garlic, but this was way too much. The other issue we had is that the manager(?) was sitting next to us on her laptop typing all throughout what I had hoped would be a quiet romantic dinner in this quiaint restaurant. The prices were reasonable and the plates decorated nicely. I would have given it a 5 if it were not for the heavy hand on the garlic and the heavy hand clicking on the keyboard.

Reviewed 20 March 2018

While staying at a hotel at the other end of town, we decided to get outside and taste an authentic Tahitian restaurant in the city. We chose Le Grillardin based on Trip Advisor reviews and are so happy we did. After a 15 minute taxi ride from the hotel, we arrived five minutes early for the first seating but were warmly greeted and invited inside. I had emailed the restaurant for reservations three weeks earlier, had a confirmation, and was pleased that they were expecting us.
From start to finish we enjoyed a wonderful evening of food and local people. We especially liked the simple, unpretentious atmosphere juxtaposed with the exquisite foods we ate. Dinner began with an amuse bouche of a fish pate which was beautifully presented. I chose a salad to start with a puff pastry goat cheese salad, also beautifully presented and delicious. My main course, mahi mahi, was firm but not overcooked.
We liked the relaxed feeling of the restaurant; we never felt rushed and were able to settle in and enjoy our food and our surroundings.
We noticed that most of the diners knew each other, greeting each other with cheek kisses, and we also noticed that many diners ordered beef. We decided that this might be a treat since fish is probably so readily available on the island!
Le Grillardin: A lovely night and a memory we'll treasure.

Reviewed 6 March 2018 via mobile

On our 2nd visit to Papeete we couldn’t resist a return visit to this wonderful restaurant. The cuisine is absolutely delicious., very friendly and attentive staff, a great atmosphere. Very highly recommend and not to be missed.

Reviewed 26 February 2018

wonderful evening . atmosphere is warm, not pretentious and restaurant doesn't feel over crowded. food is spectacular and the service excellent . the nicest and most polite servers.

Reviewed 22 December 2017

Rather than visiting Pappete with hot sun, we preferred spending our free time in Le Grillardin. We enjoyed the "cadre", the food and the service, A place to recommend without any hesitation. We were delihgted with the "pavé de boeux avec foie gras"