Hotel Residence
US$213
US$206
HotelQuickly
  • Pool
All reviewscity centrevery nice hotelgood nights sleepfree parkingbig bathroommodern roomspleasant staynice roomshort stayyogurtspatramreceptionsignaltubwifihallway
Reviewed 3 August 2017

Understaffed hotel with one staff at reception ,one in resturant and one housekeeping ( fro two days ) .
Rooms not ready even beyond check in time and the breakfast was just basic.
They have a parking which is a posiitve point and other is that tram passes in front of the hotel which is a big plus as the hotel is in the middle of no where ie no sight seeing sites near by .
Wifi doesnt work on apple Phones for that you have to go to reception and get your DNS addres changed , even with android phones it acts up.
The rooms are comforatble, no kettle in the room but tbathrooms are ok.
We stayed here for a night only .

Reviewed 2 August 2017

The very friendly madam at the reception let us check in even though it was not 14.00 already. The lobby, restaurant and also the rooms look very smooth and modern. At the breakfast you will be asked what kind of eggs you want and the chef will prepare it for you. Very reasonable price for this kind of hotel. Parking is free

Reviewed 2 August 2017

This is a centrally located hotel with a parking. We reached the hotel in the afternoon and only one room was ready. We had to wait for more than half an hour for the other room. The breakfast is very basic. There was no sliced bread and no coffees like latte, cappuccino etc. There was only one person who took the order for the eggs and probably went in the kitchen to make them also. No kettle was provided in the room and the AC in the rooms is set and you cannot change it, so it was stuffy at night. The duvet provided was not the standard size and the smallest I have ever seen. The hotel is made well, is clean, but it needs a bit of sprucing up.

2  Thank Manjulika S
Reviewed 18 July 2017

The only negative for this hotel was the wifi which needs upgrading but only for the operating system as once onto the network the signal was fantastic. Everything else was a huge positive; the service is excellent whether on the desk, at the bar or in the restaurant, they all make you feel welcome. The rooms are large, comfortable and tidy and overall a great hotel

Room Tip: I'm not sure there are any bad rooms in this hotel
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 April 2017

There's nothing more reassuring than when the entrance of your hotel looks just like it did online, particularly after you managed to snag a great deal for a last minute flight, to somewhere you've been wanting to visit for awhile.

Although the hotel lobby was small, it was, clean, bright, inviting and contemporary in its appearance. However, for me as a place to conduct meetings or work in, without being seen from the street; it definitely could have done with a bottom frosted glass window panel, so it would be less exposed.

Beside reception was the hotel bar, which was well stocked, just the right size and perfectly complimented, both the reception and lobby area.

One very obvious misstep opposite the bar however, was a table containing what I believe to be local produce - honey and wine, unpriced and surprisingly throughout my stay, I didn't see it actively marketed via tastings in the restaurant to the guests so they could try before buying.

My receptionist Ana Marija was pleasant, efficient and finished my check-in wishing me a pleasant stay and a warm smile; getting my hotel stay off to a positive start.

I couldn’t wait to get to my room. The first thing I saw, when I opened my door, was the bathroom….a big, beautiful bathroom. The demise of a bathtub in hotels, has long been a bugbear and a lost campaign for me in terms of guest must haves.

My bathtub dreams were truly answered, as I caught sight it. It being a super deep double end tub, with gleaming combi taps in the centre of it.

To be fair, once I saw the tub, I kinda of lost it, (my middle name should be mermaid) but as you know, nothing stops me totally from an extensive bathroom examination for long, so Iet me return to those bathroom specs.

Very ice tiling (both on the walls and floors) chic double sink/vanity units, enough space for me and a sea of other beauty addicts to unpack and display the full contents of our oversized beauty/washbags.

Bathroom towels were efficiently housed on the lower shelf of the vanity unit and I was glad to see an all-important powerpoint beside the giant mirror, set back behind the vanity unit.

Having said that I have deduct a point for the very basic hairdryer, housed alongside the towels, which stood out from the other nice fixtures. I also noted that the room didn't have an iron.

Beside the bathroom in the hallway, a spacious wardrobe, and a safe, adequate for my passport and small valuables, but not big enough to house my laptop, which for a security conscious business traveller, was not good enough.

The bedroom was lovely – zoned into work, chill and sleeping areas. The work zone, featuring a nice sized desk for my laptop, magazines and chargers and chair. .

Annoyingly though, there was only one powerpoint located near the desk. To the right of the desk, in the chill zone, two chairs and a tiny table, with leaftlets, however, none of them contained any really useful information and didn't need to be there.

I also noticed in the room separate drink and hotel menus. I'm not a fan of paper guest information, so I’d suggest that both be combined and put online along with the paper hotel feedback guide.

Note to old style hoteliers who still use this outdated mode to gain customer feedback. Honestly, what type of hotel guest sits in their hotel room nowdays and fills out a paper guest feedback form - exactly,...no one unless they're very annoyed or bored !

Behind the chill zone, was the bed. It was comfortable, if a little low for my liking, but I did get a good nights sleep in it. I noted a lack of powerpoints, at easy access level on either side of the beside tables, which was inconvenient in terms of being able to put your phone on overnight charge.

You could of course unplug one of the bedside lamps, but who really wants the hassle of doing that, once you’re in bed ? Not me !

Directly opposite the bed, a wall mounted TV, with a very basic package of cable channels. I know you don't go abroad to watch TV, but surely one or two film channels isn't a lot to ask for. I stuck to my YouTube on my laptop and my tablet for entertainment.

For those of you like me, obsessed with wifi connectivity, I can report it was adequate, but prone to disconnecting, which was frustrating particularly when I was in the middle of doing some work.

Behind the bed, two large windows, opened out, over the hotel patio/garden, which was just the right mix of shaded seating for guests who like to sit outside, without being frazzled.

The patio’s colourful window boxes, dotted with pink and purple flowers against a backdrop of beautiful cherry blossoms were gorgeous.

Directly opposite the garden, the hotel restaurant – El Bull Steakhouse, which doubled as the breakfast dining area.

Breakfast was good, but I would have liked to have seen more defined menus choices and some local produce. A hot food option was available on request. I had sunny side up eggs and sausages, which were both good.

What I do have to highly recommend is the evening menu of El Bull. I enjoyed a lovely salmon steak with vegetables on my first night, and on the second possibly the best BBQ beef burger and potato crisps, I’ve had in years.

My burger was perfection - well done, perfectly seasoned, stuffed with lettuce, giant tomatoes, onions and just the right amount of bbq sauce on a giant-sized bap.

The potato crisps that accompanied the burger, were absolutely delicious and a refreshing change from the chunky chips standard of so many other hotels - earning a massive round of applause for El Bull’s chef from me !

The Spa which offered 10% discount to guests, was the type of hotel extra that earns points with me. The space it occupied had been efficiently utilised into a mix of service stations and treatment rooms. I went for the 55 minute massage with the lovely Valentina.

Her varied expert massage techniques and the gorgeous oil she used on me combined to ease away the tension that was nestling in my shoulders, leaving me feeling blissful and content, after my gym session.

I’m not a fan of basement gyms at all, as they're usually windowless, lack decent artificial light and have no personality interiors wise, as they are often an after-thought by some hoteliers.

Unfortunately, this was very much the case – depressing grey walls and surprisingly no water machine or towels close by, a real no-no. My suggestion as a quick fix, would be to modify the equipment shelving unit, beside the main gym area, under the stairs.

The equipment within the gym was of a good standard, but there was way too much emphasis placed on weights and heavyweight machines, all positioned a little too close together, despite more than adequate space within the gym, (I’d suggest a revamp to the gym layout to help this), making it feel like to me, a male muscle gym.

The introduction of some resistance bands, foam rollers, a yoga mat, rowing machine and a stair-climber/elliptical machine, would have countered this imbalance.

I’ve been to some truly epic hotels, but a hotel is NOTHING without great staff, who are appreciated. This is not a problem at the Hotel Residence.

Across the board from the front of house (Ana Marija, Marija and Dorothea) to the serving staff (Dorijan, Vlatko and Ivan) impressed me with their professionalism, were extremely helpful and did everything possible to meet my needs as a hotel guest. I also must compliment the high standards of the hotel cleaning staff, who ensured my room was spotless for the duration of my stay,

Although it’s not ideally located in the centre of town (the tram to town is literally 5 mins away), Hotel Residence overall, provided me with a great, wallet-friendly hotel option in Zagreb.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo