“Unique and beloved”

Old Town Zagreb Hostel
Ranked #11 of 170 Speciality Lodging in Zagreb
Reviewed 28 April 2015

I stayed here in 2005 and so rebooked in 2015. Still absolutely fantastic. Jelena is the best host -- very friendly and genuine. The place is spotless and comfortable. Quiet out of season, almost like having an apartment to yourself. Large living room to socialise in, kitchen with all equipment and basic ingredients provided (free tea and coffee). Comfortable beds. Very central location. PS it's (unbelievably) not in Rough Guide to Croatia. It's like Zagreb's best kept secret.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo

Reviewed 10 January 2015

You can tell Jelena really loves her hostel. This space was so well cared for, every detail paid attention to. She even has a hair straightener available for girls! The kitchen is superb, the rooms are lovely - and they even offer lockers outside of the room so you don't have to wake roommates up if you're getting up in the middle of the night to catch a flight. Anything you need, Jelena takes care of. She gave us a great detailed tour of the city, arranged any reservations we needed, and even arrived at the hostel at 8am NEW YEARS DAY to make sure we were able to catch our taxi alright. I was so impressed!! I recommend this place to anyone. They even have privates for those not so into dorms. Thanks so much!!

Room Tip: Check the mattress! Some of the spring mattresses are a bit soft, but the foam mattresses are great.
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 January 2015

Zagreb has a large amount of hostels to choose from. But if you're looking for a smaller, personable hostel with high ceiling (in case you are incredibly tall) this is the place for you.
Jelena was very helpful throughout my stay at the hostel :)

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 November 2014 via mobile

I work as a tour guide in Dublin and so I am in constant contact with the hostels in my city. Through all the hostels I've stayed in or worked alongside at home, I've never felt more welcomed than I did in the Old Town Zagreb. It's been 8 weeks since my stay but I still remember vividly what a great experience it was. I had come to Croatia to meet up with a girl in Zadar, who had done my tour in Dublin and we had really hit it off. After our time together she had to fly from Zagreb to Istanbul, while I had to wait a few days for the next flight home to Dublin. I had never been in a foreign country alone before, and I was a bit anxious about it. I was a bit down to see my friend go, and needed somewhere quiet with some friendly faces to talk to, and that's exactly what I got. The girl at reception (who's name I forget, I'm so sorry!) Was so kind and the facilities were great, I met some great people, the location was superb it was just brilliant. Thank you Old Town, and thank you Croatia, for a truly amazing experience.

Stayed: September 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 October 2014

Cool, relaxed atmosphere at this very friendly hostel. Quiet,clean and comfortable with plenty of space. Old Town was a short distance from rail station and good location for wandering around the city.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled solo