“Good hotel for a city trip of a few days, nothing more”
Review of Hotel Laguna

Hotel Laguna
Ranked #50 of 59 Hotels in Zagreb
Reviewed 29 July 2017

We stayed at this hotel during a city trip to Zagreb. It has free parking and it's on walking distance (approx. 2 km) to the city centre. The rooms are a bit outdated (at least ours was) and the shower isn't great. Breakfast is fine and all in all a fine location for a short city trip.

Room Tip: When traveling as a couple choose a room with a double bed or you'll end up with seperate beds.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 July 2017

I stayed at this hotel for two weeks. On arrival the host was very friendly and accommodating. I had some items that needed to be refrigerated and that was accommodated. I find the younger staff to be much friendlier and those on the reception area to be helpful and friendly.

Yes there was road works but that was every where in Zagreb and out of their control and the active road work was finished within two days in the left side towards the hotel. The right side still needs completion but was not active throughout my stay.
Our office uses this hotel regularly and so does a lot of tour buses so for most of the time spent here we had three to four or even more buses coming in per day, so it does get busy there.

Pros
Near city centre, half an hour walk ( I did it was amazing for exercise)
Clean linens for room, can have room service daily if needed
Have hairdresser for those who that will be of interest to
Club Laguna for those who like that type of activity
Good parking, free
Pet allowed.
Frequent by families
Smoke free ( people smoke in their rooms and ventilation is dated so it circulates in your room if you are near the area of the smoking)
There was internet router by floors which makes the internet stronger though you need to sign in every time you use it and it was free.
TV had a station in English that I could watch

Con
You cannot access an iron until after 8:00 a.m.,not helpful, most guest have already left and if you get in too late which is defined by the time the environmental or cleaning staff leave forget it, cant get an iron and the person on the night duty will tell you they are the only one and they cant go get it for some reason as no staff here, until 8:00 a.m that went on for two days. Remember I stayed here two weeks, needed to sharpen some clothes that got crushed, never happened.

No kettles in room, hot cup of drink at the end of he day can be very relaxing for some.

The breakfast while there was a wide spread for meat eaters, not much thought is given to vegetarian, especially vegan, except for the healthy looking bread and jam. For an eater like me there was just apples and oranges for the first two days and often they are battered and starts to become putrefied as no one checks the basket or the quality of what goes in there. It took a lot of "to and fro" to finally get a meal I can eat but once that was sorted it improved significantly. Points for management, having the same spread of food daily for people who stay in the hotel does not help. A more varied diet would me nice and good fruit salad.
Secondly evening restaurant did not have vegan and vegetarian choices. The soup even the vegetable soup was cooked in a beef broth that no longer makes it vegetarian and vegan, I was disappointed.

Because of the frequency of guests, management does not seem to have any interest to update the hotel, it is dated, so are the rooms and the shower does not release water properly. The carpets could do with some changing and like wise the room and the furniture. There is an implied sense of even if you go we will get others, might not be said but very implied by body language of some staff.
One shower gel given, the place was very hot, be sparing when you take a shower and don't wash hair too often because the next one will be at the end of your day when you return.

Noisy sometimes late after 12:00 especially if a coach arrives late.
The gym is no longer operating, please remove the sign that shows direction to gym, it is misleading. You can't get more than a three stars without a gym
Staff need to be more informative about the local areas so they can answer question how to find thing and places, or give a map of the area
Staff can be friendly in totality, not speaking English or another language does not excuse your face from being unfriendly.

I was on the third floor, I could only see buildings through my window.

I hope if I return next year, I will have the opportunity to say these things have improved or starting to improve.

Room Tip: Accessibility, there was lift. The 5th floor might give you a better floor view than fifth.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 July 2017

After our trip to Porec, we booked this hotel to stay 1 night with 4 persons (me, my wife and two girls 6 and 10y).
Arrived in the evening, it seemed they did not have a room for 4 persons available, and I was told to look elsewhere without free cancellation or help.
The kids were exhausted and were afraid of the woman behind the reception desk...
No need to say more.
My personal worst hotel experience ever!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

Spent a week here. I arrived late at night and couldn't see the sign outside of the hotel as it was not lit up and the entrance was not very clear. There were also roadworks going on outside at the time which didn't help, but these are finished now. The only illuminated sign on the road was for a club downstairs in the hotel. On checking in the night porter didn't appear to speak much English but I was able to check in okay and went to my room. The room was pretty bare, worn and old looking, but the bed was comfortable and everything was clean, the air conditioning was also pretty good. I get the impression that some of the rooms are being done up as the pictures I found online had better rooms than mine. Breakfast is very good, big selection available. All staff that I met were friendly and helpful. It is also a little out of the center of town but easy to get a taxi. For the price it is good but it is basic.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 July 2017

We were given a room at this old and outdated hotel by our tour company even though we were booked else where. The hotel was not close to the centre of Zagreb and they did not honour our voucher which included breakfast on our early morning arrival. The room we were given was well and truly outdated, small, dark and smelt. The shower was very difficult to access. The staff did move us to another room which was lighter and did not smell but still had the same layout. Dinner and breakfast in the hotel was very average. However staff were friendly and helpful but it is not a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors are lighter but still small
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple