“ENORMOUS portions ...”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We visited Mamie's today, and both had the pot roast over mashed potatoes. I also had an order of coleslaw, and we began the meal with corn fritters & gravy.

The corn fritters were very tasty, but a tad expensive at >$5 for a small bowl of them.

The pot roast was delicious, well seasoned, and not too salty. It contains the traditional carrots, celery and onions, as well as peas (which seemed odd but wasn't a bad addition), and is served over mashed potatoes. I thought the peas were a tad undercooked, but not so much so that they were inedible. The accompanying coleslaw (not included - additional cost) was delicious. All in all, it was a tasty and satisfying meal at a decent price.

The biggest positive, however, has to be the portion size. As noted, it was enormous. neither my partner nor I were able to finish the serving and brought enough home for both of us to have an additional meal. They also give each guest a complimentary dessert as well. We both had the chocolate & peanut butter brownie and found them delicious as well.

Our waitress was both friendly and efficient. If I have to find something bad, it would be the atmosphere. The owners have covered (and I do mean covered) every available surface, wall, etc. with knick-knacks and mementos. The place looks like a crazed kitsch hoarder decorated it. That said, it wasn't overpowering, just something that we both found a little humorous.

All in all, Mamie's offers good food, decent price, efficient & friendly waitress and enormous portion sizes. We'll definitely be returning.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

Food was really good. Portions are extremely large so you really get dinner and lunch for the next day which makes it a value. If we were going to be in town longer we would definitely return!!!! Very enjoyable. Some recommendations are chicken parm, ribs and pot roast.

1  Thank luvtovacn
Reviewed 1 April 2012

My family and I have been to Mamie's several times for lunch. The food that we have ordered is always good. The soups and meats are made on site and so are the desserts. You get a free dessert with every meal. Our first experience at Mamie's was awesome. Our server knew it was our first visit, so she gave us free samples of all of their soups to bring home and try on our own. What an awesome way to get someone to come back, by giving full sized samples to bring home., She did the same with the desserts, because we were so full from lunch. She gave us one of each dessert to bring home. Customer service is certainly great. As we sat there looking around at other people's meals, we noticed the portion sizes were enormous. Their lunch menu is very large and reasonably priced. Your glass will never go empty as the wait staff is very attentive. Just my personal preference is that the decor is cluttered. I know the whole premise is home cooking and a friendly atmosphere. They decorate for every holiday that is coming and it's cute, but there is just so much decorations, it gives me the impression that it's unkempt. Let me note that it is not dirty or dusty, it's just got too much on every surface. I did find it cute that all of the plates and dinnerware were unmatched and were authentic older pieces.

I've not been there for dinner, but my husband and daughter have been. I've seen the dinner menu and it's rather high end for a "home cooking restaurant", including items like filet and lobster tails. Personally I would not order an item like that at a restaurant like this, because you are just asking to be disappointed. The dinner prices are very high too. My husband asked to order from the lunch menu and they were very accommodating and as usual, the food was good.

If you are looking for good food in a friendly environment, go to Mamie's. If you are looking for gourmet, go elsewhere.

1  Thank JudgeGirl
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Great Food, Free dessert with every meal! Awesome atmosphere.

Reviewed 29 February 2012

Front desk clerk at our hotel suggested we try it on our way back home. We'd go out of our way to go there again. We lucked out on the food and our waitress.