“Experienced hands, new venue, good stuff”
Review of The Wild Orchid Cafe - CLOSED

The Wild Orchid Cafe
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: West St./Spa Rd.
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Our visit to Wild Orchid on a Friday night at the end of May 2013 was a good one, and we'll be back soon. There's free parking in a garage on site, very accessible. Office building vibe isn't ideal, but once in the restaurant, the decor is modern, open, and appealing. Staff was experienced, even a little old school, definitely in a good way. The menu and wine list had inviting options, not too many or too few. The menu seemed particularly tuned in to my personal tastes; pork, duck, and fish/shellfish, appealingly prepared, including local influence. I think I'm going to have to stop characterizing Annapolis cuisine as mediocre; Wild Orchid does a very admirable job of delivering an appetizing, upscale experience without going overboard or trying to hard to be something it's not. It's a very good restaurant. It's a bit pricier than I'd go to every week, but the occasion needn't be terribly special to lure me in there again. I tend to deliver a lot of four-star reviews here, but Wild Orchid is a cut above. For instance, we recently dined at West, which I'd put in the same class and happily return, but Wild Orchid gets the nod.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

My husband, adult daughter and myself came here for Mother's Day Brunch. While restaurants on these kinds of 'holidays' can leave something to be desired, this restaurant from beginning to end left MUCH to be desired, especially wishing we had saved our money. After being promptly seated (we had a reservation and were on time) we looked at the one-sheet menus for drinks and food. (Price fix Menu - $25 per person) They were both very limited menus, with about 6-7 items on each. The waitress came over and she did say "Happy Mother's Day". She then asked if we would like something to drink besides ice water. We all three ordered Bloody Marys. We did not specifically say "The Wild Orchid Cafe Bloody Mary with Old Bay and Pepperoncini and Absolute vodka for $10" but thought that was understood, since we were given a menu with that on it. She brought us a small wine glass with a heart of a celery stalk, which was yellow, limp and had rotted leaves in all three glasses. I immediately removed the limp celery from my glass and handed it to our waitress and said, "The leaves on this celery are rotted." She took it and promptly walked away. My husband called her back and said we thought we ordered the Bloody Mary on the menu and she curtly said, "We are out of pepperoncini." I said, "Do you have olives?" She said yes. I said (again) "And the celery is rotted." She said, "I know you don't like celery." I said, "It's not that I don't like celery, I don't like rotten celery." She picked up all three drinks and abruptly walked away. Meanwhile, many other servers were carrying trays of bloody marys to tables in various glass sizes with big, green, healthy looking stalks of celery.) She brought the new bloody marys to the table, which were in an oversized wine glass that had the rims covered in Old Bay, one olive, a lime slice and NO celery! She then took our order for food. My husband and I ordered the vegetable frittata and our daughter ordered the Chesapeake Benedicts. The frittatas came and were a hard round of egg, much like it had been cooked in an 8 inch round skillet, folded over spinach leaves, cut up asparagus, sun-dried tomatoes and goat cheese. The vegetables were all raw and cold, the egg round was cold, as well. I can only say, thank goodness for the goat cheese, it at least gave it some taste. A dry English Muffin came with the frittatas that was toasted, but cold. My husband asked for butter and the waitress brought 3 balls of FROZEN butter. Not what you want to spread on a cold, dry English Muffin. In fact, he couldn't spread it! The Chesapeake Benedicts were some crabmeat sprinkled over a tomato slice on a dry English Muffin with a spoonful of hollandaise sauce, and cold. There was a little fresh fruit on the side that was just ok. For dessert they offered about 4 choices. My husband ordered the Lemon Blueberry Bread Pudding, which the waitress promptly said, "We are out of that. Instead we have Bourbon Raisin bread pudding." My husband said ok, I'll have that. Our daughter and I ordered the Triple Chocolate Cheesecake. The bread pudding was served COLD. Enough said. The 'Cheesecake' was not cheesecake at all but a kind of mousse consistency. You know, one of those kind of frozen pies you can buy in the grocer's frozen food case that you bring to room temperature that our grandmothers bought when TV dinners were first introduced? It was tasteless, with not much apparent chocolate. It pretty much tasted like cool whip. Neither of us ate it. The waitress came back, didn't acknowledge that we didn't eat our desserts, and we then ordered 2 coffees; she brought three. I got the feeling she wasn't really interested in us. She didn't exactly have an attitude so to speak, but, rather, an air about her that said she should be seated at the table, not serving it. I have to mention that this price fix brunch came with cinnamon rolls and fresh fruit, i.e., cold rolls with small slices of citrus that looked like bar garnishes. All in all, for a $140 brunch for 3, I think it was pretty terrible and will never recommend The Wild Orchid Cafe. From the waitress, to the bartender, to the chef it was bad, bad, bad.

2  Thank Janet L
Reviewed 2 May 2013

I bought the Groupon - sounded like a semi-fancy place to eat but the floor was covered in food when we sat down for dinner. The food was decent, our server was ok but the atmosphere was ruined because it was so messy. It was even dirtier when we left - no one bothered to clean. I will never eat here again!

2  Thank Jason B
Reviewed 8 April 2013

This place is wonderful. The food is amazing and the service is outstanding. Prices are neutral for the area.

Reviewed 31 March 2013

I do like to go there more often... We went there for a going away dinner for one of my friends at work. It was a small party, and the food and service were outstanding. I look forward to going there again soon to try their other foods with friends. Appetizers were tasty and rockfish was really well prepared.

I am not sure why a few people are so negative in their reviews about Wild Orchid. We have been there twice already, and think they do deserve good reviews for the hard work they put in to please the customers.

1  Thank Adventurer1972