“This isn't Ricky Ricardo's Cuban sandwich.”
Review of Soup on the Fly

Soup on the Fly
Ranked #1 of 31 Restaurants in Athol
Price range: US$5 - US$16
Description: We serve homespun, from-scratch cooking for breakfast and lunch in an intimate setting with a wide-ranging playlist of great music. We've crafted a simple menu with a few out-of-the-ordinary twists and special items for increased interest throughout the week and on Sunday, when we serve breakfast/brunch all day.
Reviewed 2 December 2015

Reason; It's hard to find Cuban bread much north of Miami. Here in the North Quabbin we're lucky to have any decent bread at all so a Rose 32 sub roll is an adequate substitute. Chef Rob does a good job with his interpretation of this south Florida hot pressed sandwich. The house cooked roast pork is really the star of the show here. All that meaty deliciousness gets the bold Swiss cheese it needs and sliced deli ham provides a salty tang and another layer of texture. The chef and I are in agreement that dill pickle is the pickle of choice when assembling this combination. I am no fan of sweet pickles on a Cubano I don't care if that is the way they make them at Fenway as I was told by another hashslinger. Chef Rob is doing everything right here. Good soups are easily the measure of any cook or eating establishment, his are all from scratch and worth every penny. Right now this is a small casual place with a few tables and a lunch counter If it were bigger it might not work nearly as well. You better get here quick before there are lines around the block to get in.

Management response:Responded 10 December 2015

Thank you for your positive review, Latefordinner, and for going into so much detail about our offerings. And to even compare our Cubano to anything in Miami is praise, indeed. You're right about the difficulty finding a real Cuban roll, of course, and, in fact, Rose 32 doesn't make a roll, either. I had to source and bring in specialty rolls from my better food purveyor. It's the loaf-breads that I'm able to get from Rose 32, and they make all the difference, for breakfast toast and for the lunch sandwiches that we make on bread. And you're right about dill pickle on a Cuban, also of course!

I really enjoy good soup, and appreciate your good word there, because I do put a lot of time and attention into them. We have four on offer right now, and I'll be offering a fifth, Mushroom Bisque, tomorrow, that I think came out really well.

Thanks again; hope you'll come back again soon.

Reviewed 20 November 2015

Wow! My wife Anne, my son Josh, and I just had a terrific lunch at Soup on the Fly in the Uptown Common here in Athol, Mass.! Chef Rob Saco and Waiter Jeremy Elfman have a great restaurant there with plenty of personality and plenty of delicious food! They offer both breakfast and lunch from Tuesday through Saturday (6 a.m.-2 p.m) and Breakfast all day on Sunday.

Anne and I both started off with a cup of Beef Vegetable Soup which "has house-made beef broth, beef, onion, celery, carrot, rutabaga, potato, tomato, navy bean, cabbage, kosher salt, black pepper.: I would agree that "it's hearty without being at all heavy." Josh, however, was a bit more daring, and chose the Roux Gumbo (house-made chicken stock, chicken, andouille sausage, the trinity [celery, onion, bell pepper], wheat flour, canola oil, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, kosher salt). The menu says that the Roux Gumbo is "certain to please" and it definitely DID please both Josh AND me (since I kept asking for just one more taste). It was rich, savory, and just spicy enough--absolutely superb! We felt like we were dining in New Orleans!

For our main course for lunch, Josh and I both ordered "The Millers: a scrod fillet, drenched in corn starch and flour; deep fried; with shaved onion and house made tartar sauce, on a brioche bun." It was extremely flavorful and perfect for a very satisfying lunch. It was accompanied by two potato croquettes which were excellent! Anne chose a bit lighter lunch: the "Half and Half"--the cup of soup mentioned earlier and a half grilled cheese sandwich--great bread, great cheese, great croquette.

The food was served hot and on time, with friendly, professional service.

The restaurant has a facebook website where you can read about specials in addition to the regular great menu!

Soup on the Fly is a great addition to the dining scene in here in Athol for both breakfast and lunch. We loved our lunch today, and would heartily recommend this (relatively) new restaurant.

I hope that folks here in Athol and throughout the Central Massachusetts area patronize local businesses, and will choose to give Soup on the Fly a try!

Management response:Responded 26 November 2015

Thank you for your excellent review, Mitchell, and for taking so many great photos of our restaurant. We really appreciate that you took the time to go into so much details, and are very glad your family enjoyed your meal with us so much. Please come back again soon!
Rob Sacco, Chef-owner

Reviewed 15 November 2015

Breakfast and lunch restaurant. Small (5 booths and 9 stools at the counter). Always has specials, especially soups at lunch. The other day I had stuffed French toast (real French bread) with real maple syrup (a special of the day) and it was terrific. We like well done bacon and well done home fries, and when we ask for them that way, that's the way they come out. Coffee (Deans beans) is the best in town. Good fish sandwich at lunch (regular item). Be sure to stop by.

Management response:Responded 16 November 2015

Thank you for your review, Harry, we appreciate that you took the time to go into so much detail. Rob works carefully to cook everyone's order as they ask for it, and he's glad you have been enjoying his cooking. His soups are a special source of pride for all of us, and they are as good as they are because he starts with his own bone-broth stocks, then composes the mix of ingredients for balance and maximum flavor. Thanks for being such a supportive customer!

Reviewed 13 November 2015

This place is the place to go if you want higher quality than the average soup or breakfast place. He works hard to serve amazingly HOMEMADE delicious meals. Atmosphere is comfortable and super clean. Coffee is great, and local!

Management response:Responded 16 November 2015

Thank you very much, Sharon, we really appreciate that you took the time to give us a review. And what a review! It is very gratifying that you seem to get exactly what we're trying to do. We'll keep working to keep your good opinion with quality ingredients and a clean house. Thanks again!

Reviewed 12 November 2015

Went for lunch yesterday for the first time. It was excellent and can't wait to go back for breakfast.

Management response:Responded 13 November 2015

Thank you for your very positive review. We hope you will come in for breakfast soon. Sunday is a great day to try out our breakfasts because we always offer a number of specials that Chef Rob cooks up just for the day, in addition to our regular breakfast menu. Thanks again for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor universe!

Been to Soup on the Fly? Share your experiences!