“We took a family of 5!”

Martin House Inn
Ranked #6 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 14 November 2017

We love to travel together and it's never easy to satisfy everyone with an older teenager and two younger brothers at an affordable hotel, but this was the perfect set up! Big sister loved her own cozy room upstairs while the boys had a great separate space with a locking connecting door to our spacious master bedroom. The location is perfect to let the kids explore town, and even get food and see movies and theatre on the own. The beaches are all incredible. The water sports amenities from the Inn are great and the staff is warm friendly and so helpful. We are coming back and not just in the summer now that we know the island - hoping for Spring break!

Room Tip: first floor suite with communicating doors is awesome, no need for a car
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Carolyn C, Innkeeper at Martin House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2017

Thank you, we are so glad that your family chose the Martin House for your Nantucket vacation. We love to make our guests feel at home and enjoy all the island has to offer. We hope you come visit us again!

Reviewed 7 November 2017

The Martin House Inn is all you hope for in a B&B. Charming rooms, great location in the heart of Nantucket, wonderful service, a knowledgable host sharing great suggestions on how to spend your time (over a nice glass of wine!). What a wonderful visit and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
Carolyn C, Innkeeper at Martin House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2017

Thank you for your review, Alison. It's very important to us that our guests experience is a special one. Friday night wine and cheese is a great way to start the weekend. We look forward to having you back!

Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

This trip was my first visit to Nantucket and I was incredibly fortunate to stay at the Martin House Inn! I felt right at home when I walked through the doors. The decor was absolutely charming and
the location was perfect. My boyfriend and I started our mornings with a delicious continental breakfast at the inn, and then we spent the day walking around town. We were so close to all the restaurants, shops, and beaches in the area!

The entire inn was completely charming. I especially loved having the living area and fireplace in our room. The front desk always had baked goods to enjoy while relaxing in the lobby or the outdoor seating area. My absolute favorite lounging spot, however, was on the rooftop patio. Words can't describe the view up there, it was breathtaking!

Thank you so much to Carolyn, Sari and Lisa for a wonderful stay. The entire staff was so accommodating and kind. I wish I could have stayed longer, but I'll be sure to visit again soon!!

Stayed: October 2017
1  Thank kmro25
Carolyn C, Innkeeper at Martin House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2017

Thank you for your kind review! We love to make our guests feel comfortable and at home here. We are fortunate to be located in such a perfect location for guests to enjoy all the wonderful things that Nantucket has to offer. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 2 November 2017

I normally only write positive reviews, however, I feel I have been treated unfairly by the Martin House Inn. I booked a room at the inn through Expedia over 3 weeks before my stay. I had to cancel the room within 24 hrs. of booking. I travel quite a bit, and mostly stay at hotels which have a 24 hour advance cancellation policy which I have grown accustomed too. Even airlines offer a 24 hr. cancellation window and they can be notorious for their excessive fees. I did not realize through Expedia that the Inn would charge a fee until I was not refunded the full amount on my credit card statement. If I had held the room for a few days and they were not able to re-book it, I would not be so upset about the charges. However, I called the inn about a week later when I was given only a partial credit and I was told that they charge 10% of the reservation if the room is cancelled. The crazy part was that they had already re-booked the room for that weekend and I was still being charged. The innkeeper explained that they have credit card fees they have to cover, but I know that credit card fees would only be 1-2% at most for a business and I was being charged 10%. The innkeeper said she would have the owner call me the next day to review. I never received a call from the owner. The innkeeper called me back and advised that the owner was an attorney and was too busy to speak with me about this. I feel this is a very unfair business practice and if I were on the other side I would have issued a credit as a courtesy, even a partial credit. I am sure it is a very lovely inn, but I will never know as I will not be staying here on any future visits to Nantucket.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Carolyn C, Innkeeper at Martin House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2017

We are sorry that you feel unfairly treated by our adherence to our published cancellation policy, which in your case, resulted in a refund of 90% of your deposit. We are not a large hotel that can withstand the economic impact of last minute cancellations. We are, rather, a small bed and breakfast, and like most other bed and breakfasts on Nantucket, our written policy requires that cancellations occur 21 days before arrival date, that refunds occur only to the extent that we are able to re-rent the room cancelled, and that we keep a 10% service fee even if we are able to re-rent the room. The 10% includes credit card fees as well as our time in cancelling and trying to re-rent the room last minute. The policy is in place to prevent last minute cancellations that leave us in a bind with one of our 13 guest rooms unrented after we held it unavailable for the last minute canceller. You cancelled within 24 hours and we successfully did everything we could to re-rent your room. In your review, you indicated that you would have been happy with a partial credit. We are disappointed that the 90% credit you received wasn’t enough to satisfy you.

Reviewed 30 October 2017

This was the fourth time I stayed at the Martin House this year. Carolyn, the innkeeper, is the warmest host, the living area is comfortable and a wonderful place to lounge and read, the breakfasts are tasty and plentiful and the rooms quite comfortable. If you are looking for a place that feels like home away from home, this is your spot. And it's a short two or three minute walk to town and its wonderful restaurants. Highly recommended.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Carolyn C, nnkeeper at Martin House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2017

Thank you Charles, you are part of the Martin House family, and we always look forward to having you back with us!