“Incredible service, people, and rooms.”

A Place to Stay Hostel
Reviewed 15 August 2017

I absolutely loved my stay at A Place to Stay hostel. Kerry and Raul were beyond hospitable and truly love making their guests feel at home. During my time in Guatemala, I had planned on hiking Acatenango and visiting Lake Atitlan (both trips are highly recommended). I was easily able to let Kerry and Raul know about my plans and they booked both trips for me instantly. In addition, Raul has a thorough knowledge of the best locations and activities in the area and was able to provide valued advice prior to each of my trips. Everyone I met at A Place to Stay was friendly and hospitable, which made it incredibly difficult to leave! The beds were very comfortable and all bathrooms were kept clean for the duration of my stay. It is safe to say that I will eagerly come back to A Place to Stay whenever I am traveling through the area again.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for A Place to Stay Hostel

Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

We loved our stay at A Place to Stay! We were in Antigua for 5 days and extended another night to recover from hiking Acatenango. Kerri and Raul are incredibly kind, good-hearted people who go out of their way to make sure your stay is wonderful. It's incredibly clean and comfortable, and the cats and rabbits make the place feel homey (I already miss JoJo, Mylo, and Esperanza!). They lent us winter gear for the hike, which was very useful! Would recommend staying here to anyone.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

Great location near the bus stop and Market, comfortable dorm beds with included breakfast (@85Q) which is quite quite and also a guest kitchen.

BUT the reasons you may not want to stay are mainly curfew between 12-07:00 and they will not let you out even to catch a shuttle if you didn't book that shuttle through them (not letting you out one of the many rules on the notice board not mentioned during checking if you just walk in, maybe it's on booking sites).

Also they will not store your bag for an Acantenango hike unless you also book it with them; even if you make a reservation to return! Needless to stay after finding this out I stored my bag someone else a little more hospitable and stayed there after my hike (another rule).

Also and albeit a minor inconvenience breakfast is 9-10 and not 1 minute either side.

Basically this hostel likes to say 'no' unless they're making a commission, and notwithstanding the positives above I found the hosts to be comparatively quite inhospitable (as I didn't book anything through them).

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
KerryCruz, Owner at A Place to Stay Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are sorry to hear that you didn’t find my husband and I to be hospitable as we try very hard to make each guest feel welcome and at home in our house.

While everyone has a different set of standards based on their perceptions I respect your view on the experience you had but need to add some crucial facts you left out which causes the reader to draw some false conclusions.

We do have a curfew of midnight and there is no one available to answer the door from 12:00am to 7:00am which is published on every website (including this one) and is also posted on the front door and bulletin board in the hostel and is told to every person that inquires about a room. However, we do tell people if they need to leave before 7:00am in the morning to let us know one day in advance so that we can make sure someone is awake to unlock the door for departure and then re-secure it for continued safety. In fact, you told me you had to leave at 5:50am and I said no problem and was awake at 5:30 to make sure you could leave on time.

It is true that we no longer allow guests who have booked 2am or 4am shuttles through other companies to stay with us. We made this change about 3 months ago after 5 incidences within a two week time frame where my husband was awake at 1:45am to let people out for a 2:00am departure and the shuttle showed up at 5:00am and in one case the shuttle didn’t show up at all. When we book the shuttle we have a way to contact the company and check if there is a problem or delay which is beneficial to both us and the guests waiting for the shuttle!

Guests are welcome to book their volcano tours with whatever company they like and are always welcome to return after the hike, however, since we are a very small hostel there is not a lot of storage room (in fact we share our personal bodega) so we reserve the limited space we do have for those guests that book their travel through us.

It is our goal is to accommodate as many individual needs as possible without compromising our standard of comfort and security for other guests. This is the reason we have rules and keep them posted both online and in plain sight at the hotel so everyone can make a fully informed decision to stay with us or not.

We hope you found another hostel more suited to your needs and enjoyed the volcano tour, the pictures we saw from one guest that day looked amazing. Cheers!

Reviewed 16 June 2017 via mobile

Best place to call home away from home. All services provided aside, the personal care and experience of the city and it's surroundings, you also find companions and friends for life in the wonderful owners and staff to show you around and ensure your safety. Couldn't have asked for more, came back twice again during the same trip because it bas and is the best!!!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2017 via mobile

So much more than just a place to stay! There was such a warm, homely vibe to this place. The rooms were lovely and clean, the free breakfast was always delicious, you could easily book tours and shuttles through the hostel, the location near the market was great, but for me the highlight was the people. Fernando, Kerry and Raul were all fabulous and really made you feel at home, and the smaller size meant it was easy to get to know all the other guests too. Would definitely recommend!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo