Lowest prices for your stay
Free cancellation until 19/04/21
Reserve now, pay at stay
Trip.com
US$208
SAVE US$7
Hotels.comUS$215
PricelineUS$215
eDreamsUS$215
All reviews boutique hotel split level sea organ annex building garden courtyard not hesitate to stay here again eggs to order old town the hotel staff breakfast was excellent excellent location living room yogurt elena croatia bathtub luggage
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 September 2020

Thoroughly enjoyed this lovely boutique hotel! We were greeted by the front desk manager Elena who was incredibly helpful, friendly and had a great sense of humor. The rooms and hotel are well appointed. Conveniently located near all the attractions. Highly recommend!!!!

Date of stay: September 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2020

This is my second draft of the review. My first was snarky. I don't write reviews often, but I want to let the owners know what's going wrong in their hotel. There are some real design problems with The Almayer: the website photography is beautiful and misleading. The Deluxe Mezzanine Double seems spacious and suite-like on the website. It is pretty, but entirely not fit for purpose. Lights and sockets in the wrong place, sharp staircase edges jutting out at head height, no mirror for makeup or shaving, bathroom is tiny, but described as "full." The living room is more of a corridor and there is nowhere to put one's luggage. Air conditioning only works on the lower floor so the loft bed area is very hot and there is a fire detector on the ceiling very close to the bed that flashes brightly every 30 seconds.
On arrival, Elena was front of house. Within seconds she was rude to us, hiding behind the facade of "edgy." She made me and my husband feel uncomfortable with every encounter, implying she was far too educated for her position, intimating that the owners had no day to day interest in the hotel, stating that "it's like communism: leaving the workers to run the place"
We slept terribly but were pleased with the warm welcome for breakfast and a genuinely delicious offering. Pretension re-emerged when my husband asked for ketchup and was haughtily informed that "we have no sauces anywhere in the hotel"(they bring you tomato sauce at any Four Seasons, without question)

It's close to old town Zadar, and the courtyard is charming, but it's Motel6 service, for Four Star prices.

Happy to have discussed this with the hotel at checkout but non one asked us as the place is under-staffed and not managed.

Date of stay: August 2020
Vjekoslav Bobić, Owner at Almayer Art & Heritage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2020

Sauce issues and other frustrations

Dear Mrs Richards,
I am very sorry to read that you did not feel comfortable with us. However, I think that not our hotel, but your review is pretentious, highly inappropriate, unprofessional and a personal attack with no real substance.

I still don't understand what exactly was wrong and "what is going on" in our hotel that we deserve such harsh words?

It is absolutely business damaging to say, that our photos of the rooms are misleading as they are giving an exact

I think it is not up to you to tarnish us just because you did not like the technical execution of certain details.

Your sleep disorders certainly have nothing to do with our quality equipment that every guest praises.

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My idea of ​​interior design and what I want to achieve with it is, with absolute certainty, far from your imagination how a room should look like.
Still, I would never allow myself to anonymously tell a colleague on an internet platform that her job is bad and that her website is just a collection of shabby and expensive design objects. That would be as well highly unappropriate and unprofessional.

All the best!
Owner&Manager

Reviewed 2 January 2020

The place is certainly furnished to five star standard and captures the boutique-ey feel the owners are looking for. It's also somehow homely and has a beautiful courtyard which I imagine would be lovely for escaping from the crowds in-season.

Visitors choosing an Old Town hotel can discount the value of its location, as the OT is so small that they're all within comfortable walking distance of everything of interest on the peninsula. Also, I don't believe any of the rooms here have a sea view. Could be wrong about that though.

Room tip: Warning for folks that have mobility issues - there are no lifts
Date of stay: September 2019
Reviewed 11 November 2019

The location of the hotel is good, it is centrally located in the old town in few meters you can reach the sea organ and other famous places in the old town. However we really were disappointed with the approach of the annex building of hotel. The main building is very nice and have a good positive decor etc. However annex building which is nearly few meters away, is all deserted from beginning of the entrance till you get into the rooms. The rooms are spacious with all dark walls and with so called latest trend where bathtub is one of the corner of the bedroom :). Would have loved to stay in the main building, though when requested seems there were no rooms available. Breakfast is average, you have breads, cold cuts, eggs to order, smoothies, cereals etc which is served in the main building.

To the management, they need to do something about the corridor of the annex building.

Room tip: Try to get rooms in the main building
Date of stay: November 2019
1  Thank KAUSHIK M
Reviewed 2 November 2019

Undoubtedly, beautiful property! Enjoying our stay. Very good access to the tourist spots. 10/10 on location.

On request, extending basic facility like provision of tea kettle will be much appreciated by the guests.

Date of stay: November 2019