“Great Food and Great Service!”
Review of Der Keller

Der Keller
Ranked #559 of 9,866 Restaurants in Dubai
Price range: US$14 - US$16
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The first thing you notice when you step into Der Keller (The Cellar) is the striking décor of red brick arches, wine barrels and solid oak furniture. The next thing is the wonderful aroma of sizzling meats. Der Keller is one of the oldest restaurants in Dubai, serving traditional German cuisine made with fresh seasonal ingredients. The variety of dishes ranges from fresh healthy salads and vegetarian options to regional specialties (including a tantalising selection of pork dishes).Sip an imported German beer with your meal as you soak up the authentic german atmosphere; whether you’re stopping by for a leisurely dinner or settling in for a fun filled night, Der Keller is a restaurant full of spirit and zest for life. Prost!
Reviewed 6 May 2017

My husband, 4 year old son, our 8 month old, and I celebrated my birthday with dinner here on a Friday night ("night" being loosely used as it was 5 pm...such is the life if you want to dine with the whole family). It was wonderful. The food was delicious and the service was great. The pretzels they bring to the table to start are so good, and, coincidentally, there could have been no better way to make my 4 year old happy. My husband and I both had one of their signature cocktails to start and both had the weiner schnitzel and all was excellent, our son had the sausage off the kids menu and he loved it, and our 8 month old simply happily soaked up the rustic german atmosphere and decor! The service was friendly and efficient. Also, the staff had a small cake and sang for my birthday which was a lovely touch. Finally, I mentioned that we ate early at 5 pm, well it can be hard to find restaurants that serve dinner so early, but Der Keller opens at 4 pm for dinner on Friday and Saturdays and this is great if you want to dine with small children and not mess up their bed times too much. Most of you won't have this problem, but for those who do, it's a bonus!
Great experience and we will definitely dine there again soon!

1  Thank LuxTravelLover
Pratik R, Manager at Der Keller, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2017

Dear Ms. Teresa

Thank you so much for your positive affirmation on your recent dining experience at Der Keller.

We truly appreciate your comments on the top quality service and authentic German cuisine which Der Keller is renowned for since quite sometime in DUBAI. We will definitely be sharing this with our team of talented colleagues.

Looking forward to welcoming you back very soon indeed, do try our German theme evening every Tuesday/Wednesday/Saturday with special offerings.

Reviewed 28 April 2017 via mobile

After a busy week at work, we decided meat and beer was in order for dinner. An easy taxi ride out to the hotel, up one floor and around a corner, we were greeted at the door by a very friendly server. Although not a busy night, you could instantly feel every patron was enjoying themselves and thanks to the attentive staff, our order was taken and we were soon toasting over some warmed bread and pilsner. I even had a first in Dubai, the manager actually came to our table to ask how everything was, a nice touch to a very nice evening. The food was tasty and the portions large, sadly we didn't even have enough room for dessert. We were told about a weekly sausage event, so will definitely return. Very much recommended.

Pratik R, Manager at Der Keller, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2017

Dear Mr. Gary

Thank you so much for sharing your valuable review above followed by your amazing dining experience.

Der Keller promises the best of Bavarian cuisine, ambience backed up by our outstanding colleagues and I am glad you enjoyed the attentive yet intuitive service. We will be proudly sharing this with the team to boost their morale.

Looking forward to welcome you for daily Happy Hours 6pm onwards, Friday & Saturday 4pm onwards. Also try our Tuesday and Wednesday Bavarian theme nights with some signatures.

Reviewed 16 April 2017 via mobile

Der Keller is probably the oldest German Restaurant in town - the original version opened back in 1977 at the then Chicago Beach Hotel. The present version was set up in 1997 when the Jumeirah Beach Hotel opened.

I don't recall the last time I was here but the four of us had dinner last night. A handful of diners around and Laarnia, our waitress, was top notch right through the evening.

My better half and my friend's better half decided we would order two of the Saturday specials which is the Die Schlachtplatte aka The Meat Platter. Each platter was massive and comprised Roast Pork Knuckle, Crispy Pork Belly, Smoked Pork Loin, Pork Neck, a selection of 3 Sausages with Sauerkraut, Red Cabbage and Potato Purée......Good and hearty fare but way too much for two couples - even one Platter would have been a challenge for the four of us.....Very reasonably priced at AED 225/- per platter.

Draught German Beer was our choice of beverage although they have a decent Wine List.

The Food Menu is typically German / Austrian and fairly wide ranging. Two other weekly theme nights offer Sausages and Schnitzels respectively.

The interior decor is a throwback to the original restaurant going back 4 decades.

1  Thank Ashley A
Pratik R, Manager at Der Keller, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2017

Dear Mr. Ashley

Thank you so much for your positive review above followed by your recent experience with us in Der Keller- Established 1977

We are so glad to hear you loved the SATURDAY 'Die Schlachtplatte' -The Meat Platter theme evening, certainly 'LAARNI' our colleague is a star and she will delighted to hear this recommendation so will our Chefs.

We definitely look forward to welcoming you again very soon indeed.

Reviewed 12 April 2017 via mobile

As always great food and lovely staff.
Schnitzel were perfect as were the sausages and saukrat.
You don't have to book. Kids are welcome and prices not unreasonable considering it is situated in a 5 star hotel.
Would highly recommend

Pratik R, Manager at Der Keller, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2017

Dear Ms. Teresa

We truly appreciate your comments on the top quality service and authentic German cuisine which Der Keller is renowned for since 1977. We will definitely be sharing this with our team of talented colleagues.

Looking forward to welcoming you back very soon indeed,

Reviewed 2 April 2017

Sad pastiche of what a German restaurant should be...more like Disneyland than Dubai. I should have taken one look at the fake decor and turned around as things didn't get any better.

This was my least favourite dining experience in the Jumeriah Beach Hotel. They crank out and endlessly bland and boring selection of dumbed down German favourites. All edible but nothing particularly exciting. Overly fussy service for what you actually got.

An alltogether underwhelming experience. Time to start again with something else.

Pratik R, Manager at Der Keller, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2017

Dear Mr. Robert

Thank you very much for taking the time to both visit and review our restaurant.

I am really disappointed to hear that your experience was below par and that your expectation was not met on your last visit to Der Keller. Our team put a lot of effort into constantly trying to ensure that we give nothing but the best to our esteemed guests, however it seems on this occasion we apologize that we have not been able to impress you genuinely.

I will really appreciate if you could get in contact with me on pratik.rajgarhia@jumeirah.com to discuss your experience further for my immediate improvement action I may possibly take with your valuable input.

Many thanks again for visiting and for leaving us your valuable feedback and hopefully we see you in again soon for a much better experience!