“Real mixed bag; good if you want a cheap business hotel, pick a newer hotel if coming on holiday”

Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai
Ranked #16 of 561 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Good:
- Convenient location
- Great breakfast
- Excellent Porters, Restaurant, Housekeeping and Reception Staff

Bad:
- Horizon club is irksome, facilities given away for free to others
- Not for non-smokers: many common areas smell of tobacco including lobby in evenings
- Fairly poor management (junior staff blamed for problems, insisted we spoke to the manager who never turned up)
- Outdoor pool is extremely crowded (all loungers occupied by 10am)

Our experience:
- Paid for (Non-Smoking) Horizon Club Premier Deluxe Room; given a nice corner room on the 40th floor with windows on two sides
- Hallway smelt of tobacco, this carried through to the room with the air conditioning on. Might have been due to a rogue guest as it did improve slightly over the 2 days.
- Paid double for the Horizon Club for “Exclusive use” of the Pool and Terrace on the 42nd floor. It's small - 4 loungers outside, tiny pool/hot tub - so needs the hotel to police access – they don’t (guided tours, people sneaking in, or being granted access)
- Had enough by final morning, when 2 guests were allowed to use the facilities despite clearly not staying in the horizon club (life guard on duty made a phone call for authorisation before granting access)
- The 2 guests proceeded to take over 3 of the 4 outdoor loungers, scattering them around the terrace so no one else would feel welcome (we wouldn't dream of doing this!)
- I challenged the (otherwise charming) lifeguard who immediately appeared nervous, and claimed the guests had already checked out (clearly not true at 9am) – then quickly became flustered, insisted they wouldn't use the pool, etc
- With no answers forthcoming, I complained to the club reception, who asked to put me through to the Duty Manager, I made clear this wasn't necessary
- DM immediately rang our room to assure me this was a mistake and must have been a rogue decision of more junior staff – this clearly wasn’t true, the Lifeguard phoned for authorisation – I again asked for an honest explanation before 12:30pm
- At 12:20pm we went to check-out and catch our flight – though were asked to wait to speak for the Duty Manager – after 15 minutes of waiting there was still no sign of him, so we left
- Have received no apology since for wasting our time, and no explanation on why it happened, just the standard "we've spoken with the staff involved"
- Really not impressed by the blame culture / lack of mgmt accountability, won’t be going back

Room Tip: Don't pay for the top rooms / Horizon Club, you are better-off paying more for standard rooms in...
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank T4E
Nicolas C, Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear T4E,

Thank you for taking the time to write your experience with us on TripAdvisor. It is through valuable feedback such as yours that we are able to continuously improve our service standards.

I very much regret the inconvenience the incidents that occurred may have caused you. I can assure you that the necessary corrective action has been taken to ensure this does not happen again. Please do not hesitate to contact me via nicolas.chammaa@shangri-la.com so that I may address your concerns in person with you.

It is our privilege to be of service to you and thank you once again for the feedback provided.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was really satisfied with your hotel, service and helpfulness.

The room was very comfortable in every way, so I really felt at home. It was clean, stylish, roomy with excellent service in both bar where I had lunch and restaurant where I had dinner. Food was beyond good and great value for money and service in both places attentive and efficient. Room itself was well equipped.The pool was true to photographs upon the hotel's website, large, clean and warm too, it was a great way to start the morning.The maids ensured my room was immaculate on a daily basis and the receptionists were very friendly and also extremely helpful. I was impressed by all of the staff within the hotel, especially by the Guest Relations-Service Leader Alina Kalkan. She was able to arrange everthing. I could go on but suffice it to say I was very pleased with my stay, and although short and sweet this time.

I will certainly be staying here again.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com

Dear Mustafapalabiyik,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor.

We were glad to hear that you’ve had a positive experience with us. Your comments are very much appreciated and will certainly assist us in our efforts to continuously improve our hotel offerings. It will be my pleasure to share your thoughts with the team, special mention to Alina, in recognition of their dedication and hard work.

Thank you again and we sincerely look forward to having you back in the near future!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed at Shangri-La for 5 days. We took up a studio room.

Clearly, the choice of the hotel and the room turned out to be one of the best decisions we took when we were planning for the trip.

Situated on Sheikh Zayed Road, within 10 min to Dubai Mall/Burj Khalifa, this hotel provides you with all that you would need for a happy family holiday.

We were very happy for example with the thought that was put in, in giving us a room that answered to our needs given that we were 2 adults and 2 kids, not to mention the amenities that were provided as well. Each and every item that was placed in the room, especially pertaining to the kitchenette was very well thought through for a family of ours. The fresh fruits that were provided every day were a great touch by the housekeeping staff. We enjoyed them.

The breakfast buffet had an amazing spread and kept us busy across the 5 days with every day spent in trying something new that we hadn't managed to savour the previous day.

The staff were very courteous and helpful and did all that was required to make our stay very comfortable. Each and every one of them helped us in every manner possible, be it at the lobby/reception area or the breakfast buffet or for the shuttle bus to the mall or elsewhere. Wherever we went, their smiles and their courtesy put us at ease.

I would like to especially mention Kazi, who went out of his way to enquire for our comfort and any other requirements that we may have, given that we were travelling with 2 children.

Last but certainly not the least, we had a fabulous view of the Burj from our room, which was an added bonus.

I wish them all the success that they truly deserve.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family

Dear Sayan B,

Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to receive your remarks with regard to our hotel’s services and facilities. Your comment about our colleagues, especially Kazi, is very much appreciated.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai in the future.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

This is a well reputed hotel with excellent rooms, a great breakfast, but a somewhat small lobby. Rooms are well equipped and stocked. Staff are very friendly. The receptionist Mitch was of particular help and courtesy.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Sheikh Zaid road and the Burg Khalifa are more expensive. Rooms facing the opposi...
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business

Dear 550hashima,

Thank you very much for your compliments, which are indeed appreciated. I am more than glad to share your compliments with the team, especially Mitch, who will be delighted to be recognized.

It is our privilege to be of service to you and we are looking forward to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I got a mega deal for a two bedroomed apartment on the 20somethingth floor of this luxury hotel (so good the person checking me in rang for authority to charge me so little) and so I tasted the kind of luxury I would not normally be willing to pay the proper price for. I was only in Dubai for one night, flying in overnight from London and on out to Singapore the next night, and the comfort and service of ShangriLa were useful as was the fact that everything worked (wifi, kitchen hob, hot water in shower blah blah) and the pool space is gorgeous too with views over to the recent show off skyscraper in this Emirate. Frankly I couldn't fault the hotel on anything except possibly that getting from it to DIFC which is just 'across the road' is really difficult. The recommended way is by cab which takes a daft amount of time, driving to a next junction, turning, on to another for a U turn etc etc but I get the impression that is pretty par for the course. A great contact we met to talk about work stuff commented that he had NEVER gone to the airport on the fast comfortable good value train service so didn't know how easy it was nor how long it took - I tried it and the answers are quick cheap but at rush hour HOPELESSLY crowded!

Stayed: October 2017

Dear Rufus B,

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor.

It was a great pleasure to have you stay with us. We were glad to hear that you enjoyed a positive experience and we thank you for your helpful feedback.

It is our privilege to be of service to you and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai on your next visit.