- Convenient location
- Great breakfast
- Excellent Porters, Restaurant, Housekeeping and Reception Staff
- Horizon club is irksome, facilities given away for free to others
- Not for non-smokers: many common areas smell of tobacco including lobby in evenings
- Fairly poor management (junior staff blamed for problems, insisted we spoke to the manager who never turned up)
- Outdoor pool is extremely crowded (all loungers occupied by 10am)
- Paid for (Non-Smoking) Horizon Club Premier Deluxe Room; given a nice corner room on the 40th floor with windows on two sides
- Hallway smelt of tobacco, this carried through to the room with the air conditioning on. Might have been due to a rogue guest as it did improve slightly over the 2 days.
- Paid double for the Horizon Club for “Exclusive use” of the Pool and Terrace on the 42nd floor. It's small - 4 loungers outside, tiny pool/hot tub - so needs the hotel to police access – they don’t (guided tours, people sneaking in, or being granted access)
- Had enough by final morning, when 2 guests were allowed to use the facilities despite clearly not staying in the horizon club (life guard on duty made a phone call for authorisation before granting access)
- The 2 guests proceeded to take over 3 of the 4 outdoor loungers, scattering them around the terrace so no one else would feel welcome (we wouldn't dream of doing this!)
- I challenged the (otherwise charming) lifeguard who immediately appeared nervous, and claimed the guests had already checked out (clearly not true at 9am) – then quickly became flustered, insisted they wouldn't use the pool, etc
- With no answers forthcoming, I complained to the club reception, who asked to put me through to the Duty Manager, I made clear this wasn't necessary
- DM immediately rang our room to assure me this was a mistake and must have been a rogue decision of more junior staff – this clearly wasn’t true, the Lifeguard phoned for authorisation – I again asked for an honest explanation before 12:30pm
- At 12:20pm we went to check-out and catch our flight – though were asked to wait to speak for the Duty Manager – after 15 minutes of waiting there was still no sign of him, so we left
- Have received no apology since for wasting our time, and no explanation on why it happened, just the standard "we've spoken with the staff involved"
- Really not impressed by the blame culture / lack of mgmt accountability, won’t be going back
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Booking.com, Agoda, Ctrip TA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri La Hotel Dubai
- Shangri La Dubai