Fortune Plaza Hotel
Hilton Dubai Jumeirah(Dubai)(Great Value!)
US$131
US$110
  • Pool
Jumeirah Emirates Towers(Dubai)(Great Value!)
US$173
US$122
Ramada Plaza Jumeirah Beach(Dubai)(Great Value!)
US$104
US$95
US$326
US$249
  • Pool
Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai(Dubai)(Great Value!)
US$182
Conrad Dubai(Dubai)(Great Value!)
US$106
US$92
Trip.com
Dusit Thani Dubai(Dubai)(Great Value!)
US$75
US$67
US$444
US$244
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
All reviewsbetween flightsbooked a double roomhour stopoverbudget hotelper nightlobby areanice hotelshort staytharavad
Reviewed 4 February 2017 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights. All in all it was a bad experience. The staff is quite discourteous and lacks proper training, they barely smile or greet you. The lady on the reception is always unhappy and rude.

The food was ok (mostly Indian dishes). The day we moved in, the kettle was not working. We asked and were provided with a new one. There were no slippers in the washroom, again we asked and they were provided. We had to ask for extra towels as we were four people (two adults with two children), still we were provided with only two towels in the room. Basically, it seemed that staff's overall approach was to save everything (don't know for whom).

If you can avoid this hotel, it's best. Spend some more money and get a better experience at a better hotel.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank drimranfarooq
Reviewed 1 February 2017

Stayed in this hotel in january 2017. Great location. Friendly staff. Comfortable room.
Bathroom could do with some renovation. Breakfast needs more varieties. Overall a good hotel in a good location. Near the airport and not in an overcrowded area.

Room Tip: Choose the top floor, away from the night club.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank allantheoutwardbound
Reviewed 19 January 2017 via mobile

I had 12 hours layover in Dubai. I've made the right choice by staying at Fortune Plaza. It's nice and close to the Int.Airport, comfortable & clean. They also have great breakfast buffet with a large variety at reasonable price. Great pick for a quick stay.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 January 2017 via mobile

We had a 12 hour stopover and needed to rest. Called the hotel and booked. Hotel was clean and well appointed. Quiet surroundings made it easy to get 4 hours solid sleep. Didn't try shower or anything else. Great for a few hours of shuteye.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank herbertleemacau
Reviewed 3 January 2017

For those of you that want to read a very quick review, in my opinion, the cost to stay at this hotel is reasonable.

Below is a longer version of my review for those of you that want more information.

Firstly, I must say that I debated with myself for a long time before booking this hotel as I had spent some time reading the reviews and, for the most part, they were not good. However, I found it hard to believe that a hotel could be that bad so instead of booking for 9 nights, I initially booked for 3 nights (10-13 Oct 2016) to see how things were. I like to be fair and give an accurate account of my personal experience. The price was reasonable so I wasn't expecting 5-star service.

According to booking.com the hotel has an airport shuttle but it doesn’t. The hotel is located between two metro stations, Al Nadha and Al Qusais. It's about a 10-minute walk from either station but I only used Al Qusais. On the day of arrival I took the metro to Al Qusais and as it was hot and I had a big bag with me, I decided to take a taxi from there to the hotel even though it was a short distance. There is a minimum taxi fare of Dhs 12.00 (approx. £4) but I was happy to pay it.

If you are arriving on the Metro, when you go through the ticket barrier head for exit 2, turn right out of the station and walk straight ahead for about 10 minutes and you'll come to the hotel on a corner. You will know you're walking in the right direction when you exit the station because you will pass Adib Bank which is closeby. Apparently, there is also a bus station near the hotel but I didn't use it as I prefer the train. It takes about 40-45 minutes to get to Dubai Mall from the hotel.

I arrived at the hotel around 5.45pm and had a bit of a struggle up the stairs leading to the hotel lobby with my big bag as there was no-one around to help. When I got to the top and had just stepped through the door then a man (I think he works in the cafe) rushed over to hold the door open. I had just stepped into the reception area by then but I thanked him anyway. There is a ramp to the left of the stairs but I didn't see it when I arrived.

I was checked in by a woman who did not greet me or even smile. She asked for my passport and asked me to sign the check-in form. One of her male colleagues who was standing nearby turned around and greeted me with a nice smile and a warm welcome. I later found out that his name is Vivek. I told the woman that I don't sleep well (this is true) so I'd like to be high up and she said that she had already booked me in a room on the 3rd floor which I appreciated and thanked her for. She then said it would take about 5-10 minutes to copy my passport so I could get it later. I told her that I was going to wait for my passport. Interestingly, she finished copying it within a couple of minutes! I had no intention of leaving my passport with her.

There was a friendly bell boy that brought my bag up to my room so I gave him a tip. I had booked a double room and was pleasantly surprised when I walked in. The room decor was ok but could do with freshening up as the wallpaper was peeling off in a couple of places. Due to the reviews I'd read I did scrutinise the room more closely than usual and found a few hairs in the sink and a couple of hairs on the bed sheet but this didn't freak me out. The bathroom was nice but the bath was a bit old so it could do with being replaced or at the very least the seal should be re-done. The shower curtain had definitely seen better days and there were toiletries in the bathroom which is always a nice touch. There was only one bath towel that looked a bit worn. There was a lack of attention to detail as the windowsill was dirty and the corners of the room hadn't been cleaned properly.

In the fridge there was a selection of soft drinks, beer, spirits, red bull, chocolate bars, nuts and Pringles and a couple of bottles of complimentary water. The toiletries and mini bar service are things that the top hotels offer so clearly this hotel is putting in some effort to offer good service without the high cost. As there was a small grocery shop opposite the hotel, I bought water and snacks there because it was much cheaper. They provided tea & coffee making facilities in the room. I liked the electronic "do not disturb" sign which I left on during my stay as I don’t like cleaners going in my room.

There was a good selection of TV channels in English and a free safe in the room. After getting settled in my room I phoned reception to ask for an iron and ironing board and they were delivered to my room within 5 minutes.

Most of the time the Wifi worked well but several times late at night it just froze even though I was still connected. I don’t know if they turn it off at night.

I noticed a constant humming noise even when I turned the AC off. In the morning I pulled back the curtain to look outside and had a awful view of the side of the building through very dirty windows. In the morning I asked to be moved to a quieter room as the humming noise disturbed me. The man I spoke to said it was the AC unit located on the roof. There are several clubs in the hotel on the mezzanine level that open every night but I didn’t hear the music.

The staff promptly moved me to a room on the 2nd floor which was for wheelchair users. However, I only slept in there one night because I saw several cockroaches running around and that freaked me out so when I returned to the hotel in the evening I asked to be moved again.

The 3rd room was also on the 2nd floor opposite end to the night clubs. The bath was in a terrible state and I could hear the bass of the music from the clubs but it wasn't too loud to stop me from sleeping. At this point I realised that whatever room I took there would be an issue with it. I saw a few ants in the bathroom but I didn’t bother to report it. During my stay I raised a number of issues and made requests but the staff were always polite and professional. I did not encounter any "psycho staff". In terms of noise from other guests, I rarely heard anyone and when I did it was the occasional slamming of a door.

The gym and pool is included in the price but the pool area was a bit too shabby for me so I refused to go in it. If a pool is important to you then I definitely wouldn't recommend that you stay there as the only thing I would have done in that pool was wash a stray dog!

I can recommend Tharavad Restaurant for the buffet (it's on the ground floor). There was a good variety of dishes and desserts that all tasted very nice. It was good value for 36 Dhs. If you don't like spicy food then this is not for you. The restaurant is open everyday but they only have the buffet on Friday from 12pm - 4pm. When compared to the American buffet restaurants the variety of foods are small in comparison but very tasty. I didn’t have any meals in the hotel so cannot comment on the quality of food.

Throughout my stay Alam (bell boy) always had a lovely welcoming smile and was always ready to help which I appreciated so I tipped him several times. On the day of departure I took a taxi to the airport which is less than 15 minutes away and cost 24 Dhs.

Clearly, this hotel could do with an upgrade but overall, for the price I paid, I think it was quite reasonable and I would stay there again if necessary. Whenever I raised an issue I was always polite and in return I found the staff polite and professional so I had no issues with any of the staff.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo