“Long Stay at San Marco”
Review of San Marco Hotel

San Marco Hotel
Ranked #357 of 563 Hotels in Dubai
Reviewed 13 May 2017

Well located in Friz Murar area, close to all amenities and convenience stores and transportation.
Hotel staff is very cooperative
The environments are clean and the hotel is always spic and span
The restaurant is decent and offers food to cater to different comunities

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business

Reviewed 26 January 2017 via mobile

The rooms are old small and roach Infested. There are no carpets anywhere...everywhere is tiled. The WiFi is horribly slow and constantly crashing. The front desk staff haven't got a clue...their English is epically poor and it appears like they just don't care. "FREE" breakfast was basic and nasty. Never ever stay here!!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Arnie C
Reviewed 26 July 2016

Hotel is clean, sandard cathegory 3*, 2* bcs missing parking places. The most friendly staff, receptionist are helpful and pleasant non stop. Infront hotel is grocery store, minimarket, around are many restaurants - chinesse, pakistan, indian etc.. 15 minutes by walk subway station Palm Deira - green line. 5 minutes by walk KFC, pizza Hut, on main road possible buy mobile device, laptops.
Hotel San Marco arrange transfers to Al Mamzar Beach Park (10-15 min by bus), to shopping mall, city center. Schedule on recepcion area.
On the roof - swimming pool, clean and warm, in May I was alone there, whole day. Sauna, fitness. For fee.
On room is fridge, tv with satelite programms.
I was really satisfacted, it was my first stay in Emirates and thanks of location of hotel and friendly staff my stay was great and unforgettable times.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Andrea L
Reviewed 14 January 2016

Uzbek travel agency booked this hotel for me, I was told this is 3 star-hotel and standard double room for a single stay. This hotel owned by Indian people and mostly geared up towards Russian and also Uzbek tourists. When travel agency offered me "San Marco" 3-star hotel I agreed because my expectation was absolutely different. They better name this hotel something Indian or Russian that people should get an idea of staying there: such as staff and food, service etc. For Russian tourists this hotel is good due to economy. But as for me, this was absolutely shocking. When I cancelled my staying in San Marco hotel and checked out they did not refund my money back. For two cancelled nights they took 220 USD and never refunded however hotel manager said they will refund my money via travel agency I used. I took some photos when I check out of the hotel. Room was not standard double and bathroom was not clean: it was full of group-flying-tiny-insects and big-grey-flies. I would upload these photos. The hotel location is in a very poor neighborhood. Staff all were indians and some of them are friendly and helpful but some of them, especially the manager, were mean and rude. He was not honest about refund either. This is the first time I paid to hotel for the room which I did not use. Honesty is the most important thing in business. It is not good to make fool of tourists.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo
8  Thank Sayyora A
Reviewed 9 December 2015

Firstly, I want to make it absolutely clear that my husband and I like to travel on a budget. We have no airs and graces about staying in budget accommodation (I have once stayed in a traditional village home in rural Cambodia with no electricity or running water). After paying a bargain price for this hotel, I did not expect the Earth, but the positive reviews on TripAdvisor do not relate at all to this hotel in its current state. In fact, the last English-language review was from nearly 18 months ago and there is a reason why.

Firstly, we rocked up at this hotel and noted the poor location. Yes, it's very near a Metro station, but the location is in a very poor neighbourhood and I did not feel safe walking on the street with my husband, let alone on my own. On our final day in this establishment, my husband was approached by a prostitute, so I think that gives you a good indication of the type of neighbourhood this hotel is located in.

When we arrived, the entire lobby was being refurbished. The floor was bare concrete and electrical wires were hanging from the ceiling in place of light fittings. The Reception desk was in fact a tiny podium. There was no apology offered for the state of the hotel. From this moment on, I knew it would be a bad experience.

The Reception staff et al speak very little English and this hotel is, in fact, geared up towards Russian tourists. Whilst this is obviously fair, as we are all travellers, it did make it difficult when trying to communicate. You could not get our bearings as no one could tell us where we were on a map. Usually, when you check-in to a hotel, you are told about all the local amenities. I have never felt so alone in a country and I was just thankful there was a Metro station a ten-minute walk away. The staff were very unhelpful every time we had a question or a query and it appeared to us, that we were a hindrance to them and just caused them hassle for simply asking questions that really should have been explained to us at check-in.

The only positive regarding this hotel, is that the rooms are clean, but they are very, very basic. The bathrooms resemble a very bad Travelodge, with a mouldy shower curtain, but all in all they are clean (we stayed in two rooms and both bathrooms / showers were the same). The furniture needs updating and the rooms are not very luxurious, but again, you get what you pay for.

When we booked this hotel, we were told the price included half-board. As with anywhere else in the world, we assumed this would be breakfast and dinner, but in fact, it is breakfast and lunch, meaning you are tied to your hotel until 2pm in the afternoon if you want to make use of your 'included' meals. Lunch is absolutely diabolical! It is the most greasy, horrid tasty, gristly meal you will ever taste! Cold, but greasy rice stuck together like glue; stews that contain gristle rather than meat; and limp, old salad! This is the entire buffet you have to choose from! The restaurant is not the Milano restaurant advertised on many tour operators' listings for this hotel. It now has a Russian name and is very much catered for Russian tourists, with the food labels written in Russian, so you have little idea of what you are eating (I forgot my Russian phrasebook). The 'restaurant' looks more like a living room with bad wall paper and a dank, dark atmosphere, due to the décor. Finally, the TV either plays Bollywood or Russian movies and is ranked up to the highest volume so you can barely hear yourself think!

The 'state of the art' gym is also diabolical. There is no 'top end' equipment and the padded floor has a giant, gaping hole in the middle of it. The 'coffee shop' was also dark and dank and not very inviting and the pool was just laughable.

Finally, the shuttle service is an absolute joke and the timings are not mentioned on the hotel's website nor on our tour operator's site (who, it should be said, has still yet to apologise for the false advertising). The bus departs to the beach at 8am (two different beaches I may add, rather than just Jumeirah beach as advertised) and to the mall at 2pm in the afternoon). There is no return service.

To summarise, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Considering we paid less than £100 a night, I did not expect 5-star luxury, but when you have purposely purchased a hotel solely to make use of the amenities, such as the pool and shuttle, and for your food to be included, you do at least expect a shuttle that departs at a reasonable time and food that is actually edible! You also expect staff, at any establishment at whatever price, to be more kind, courteous and considerable and the staff were absolutely not! In fact, I would go as far as saying they are most unhelpful hospitality staff I have ever encountered. Apart from offering us a new room, which resembled the previous one apart from a different style of lampshade, they offered no apology and just treated us as inconveniences. There screwed up, angry-looking faces, without a hint of a smile or kindness, said it all!

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple