“Highly recommend”

Flora Grand Hotel
Ranked #112 of 546 Hotels in Dubai
“Highly recommend”
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Coming from South Africa to a foreign country for the first with my family is abit nerve recking. Once we arrived at Flora Grand Hotel we were treated like royality and the staff went out to their way to make our stay a special one. The staff were really friendly especially Yeme at Receiption and Stephen at the Gift shop.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank fayers
GMFGH, General Manager at Flora Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Flora Grand Hotel !

We are delighted to know that the team has looked after you so well specially this being you first trip away from your home country.

We look forward to welcoming you again at the Flora Grand Hotel.

Satish Nambiar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I stay at the Flora Grand for 4 nights in Feb for business. It was fully booked when I checked in so I was stuck with my room once I found out it was a smoking room. I believe only 2 of 7 floors are now smoking so you need to book ahead. The rooms were nice with enough room and updated bathrooms.

The free breakfast and internet would have been great if they had been working 100%. The breakfast was so packed with people that I was asked to sit with people I didn't know and found it hard to get a refill on my coffee. In the end I got up and poured it myself from the waiter station. The issue with the internet was the volume of people using it. From 6pm to 10pm it was in and out due to high traffic.

My only other complaint was that unknown to me, I went during a festival and the circus tent across the street was loud enough to keep me awake until 11:30 each night. A friend of mine was staying lower in the hotel than I was and had no problem with the noise as i think the surrounding buildings blocked it.

Overall the hotel was priced right for what was offered. The rooms were clean, with enough room to move and the free breakfast and internet are a real plus. Access to the in-house gym facilities is great, but I didn't have time to use them. Had it been slower and no festival I wouldn't have had many problem to write about.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank shenry86
GMFGH, General Manager at Flora Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback on your stay at the Flora Grand Hotel !

At the outset please accept my apologies for the inconveniance caused during your stay due to non smoking rooms being not available and the packed restaurant for breakfast . We have increased our seating capacity currently to cater the peak time rush at the restaurant and it has made a difference.Internet usage is being analysed to see the feasbility of improving bandwidth.

The disturbance from the shopping festival celebration on Rigga road is unfortunate and we are sorry that has disturbed your sleep !

We look forward to seeing you again at the Flora Grand Hotel.

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 13 February 2012

This is beautiful and fine enough.This is beautiful and fine enough.This is beautiful and fine enough.This is beautiful and fine enough.This is beautiful and fine enough.This is beautiful and fine enough.This is beautiful and fine enough.This is beautiful and fine enough.This is beautiful and fine enough.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 6 days (Feb 6th-11th 2012) having booked a Superior Room through Agoda.com (Agoda was able to get daily free breakfast and complimentary in room internet access all in for about US$100 per night – a bargain given how expensive hotels are in Dubai and additional charges for internet access on top).

So let’s start with the good: 1) Location – the hotel is just 3 stops from Dubai Int’l Terminal 1 on the Red Line (take Exit 2 at Al Rigga Metro Station and walk straight until you see a side lane between the Ramee Guestline Hotel and Popeye’s chicken restaurant). Go through this lane and Flora Grand will be on your left. It’s easy to use the Metro to get to all the major site seeing spots and Al Ghurair Mall 5 minutes down the road has many int’l restaurants (Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Cinnabon, Papa John’s etc.); 2) The staff – very friendly and helpful and I must give a special mention to Louther (at the Concierge desk), Yeme, Krishna and Conita who are all really friendly and made me feel very welcome during my stay; 3) The room – I had the Superior room and it was much bigger than I thought. A hallway from the door separates the entry to the bed area. The bed area is large and you have more than enough room to move around with squeezing past furniture (the bed itself is very comfortable). The bathroom is big with a full size tub and clothes line that you can use to dry swim clothes and small items (something that was missing during my stay at 2 hotels in Vietnam) as well as full air-conditioner temperature control. Photos of the hotel room are attached; 4) Free shuttle buses to a few locations – a nice touch!; 5) Good breakfast buffet – delicious, good quality with a lot of choices including an omlette/egg station

The bad: 1) Welcome Comrades! This hotel feels like it is exclusively catered to the Russian and former Soviet-bloc countries, traveler – from the TV channels in the room (almost entirely Russian) to the surly & curmudgeonly lady that runs the tour desk (I don’t think she smiled once during my 6 days stay!); 2) Check in procedure – my flight landed at 7a.m. and I got to the hotel by around 8a.m. but there were no empty hotel rooms available (I had requested an early check in when I booked the room). I had to sit in reception for 3 hours after an overnight, 9-hour flight in economy class until someone checked out, housekeeping cleaned the room and then I could check-in. However, the front desk made it up to me by giving me a late check-out on my final day; 3) The water heater – hot water is generated by an in-room water heater that you have to switch on (next to the bathroom light switch). The problem is that if you leave it on at night it will suddenly turn on at 3 a.m. and make a racket and disturb your sleep. My advice would be to turn it off at night before you sleep and turn it on immediately when you wake up the next morning…then go for breakfast, hit the pool, gym etc. and then come back and take a shower; 3) The pool – is not one you can swim in, it looks more like a converted hot tub than a real pool;

Potential for improvements: 1) Make the hotel friendlier for all tourists not just solely Russian/Former Soviet-bloc country travelers – more English language channels and an international tour desk operator would help; 2) Keep the hot water boiler in the basement of the hotel on a 24-hour running basis (rather than in the room itself); 3) Despite free shuttle buses to Al Mamzar Beach, Dubai Outlet Mall, Mirdif City Centre and Deira City Centre, there is very strangely NO bus to take guests to Deira’s BIGGEST attractions – the Gold, Spice and Perfume souks (markets) and to Deira Creek. It would also really add value if the hotel operated tour buses to more downtown spots such as Dubai Mall, Jumeirah Lakes Towers, Emirates Mall etc.; 4) A more comprehensive street map of Deira would be useful too.

Additional tips for travelers: Ask for a high floor on the quiet side of the hotel (5th and 6th floors are non-smoking) and preferably away from the general lift area. In Dubai, alcohol is banned except for licenced restaurants and hotel bars – Flora Grand does NOT have a hotel bar – which is good in that it keeps noisy revelers from waking you up but bad as you have to find another hotel in the area to go have a drink (or pick up sufficient quantity from Dubai Duty Free on your way in!)

Overall, I would recommend Flora Grand as a good, cost-effective way to vacation in Dubai. Its plus points outweigh its negative points, but if the hotel made an effort to address the negative points, it would merit a full five stars from me.

Room Tip: Additional tips for travelers: Ask for a high floor on the quiet side of the hotel (5th and 6th floo...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Jay B
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback on your stay at the Flora Grand Hotel !

Iam grateful to you for the effort taken to pen down your suggestions as it makes it that much more easier for us to listen and implement as soon as possible.

Dubai as a destination is a big draw for the tourists from the east european countries specially in the months of Jan, Feb & March as the weather is favourable for them to be in Dubai so I can fully understand the way you have felt.

We have just finished enhancement of our TV channels and taken it to the level where you will feel spoilt for choice. We are looking at various options for the water heater issue and we should resolve it soon.

Regarding the trip to Gold Souk the easiest and fastest way to reach is by Dubai Metro after changing from Red to green line at the Union station which will take you closest to the Souk.

Once again I thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again at the Flora Grand Hotel.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Well located, pleasant entrance foyer and nicely presented large bedrooms. Staff are approachable, polite and well mannered. Breakfast is well catered and managed, although taste is average.

I am quite picky about service and being treated like a guest. They did well here. Breakfast buffet filled the belly, but could be improved upon, especially for vegetarians.

Value for money.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MuninderS
GMFGH, General Manager at Flora Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Flora Grand Hotel !

We are delighted to know that you had a satisfying stay. I have noted the scope for improvement in breakfast with regard to vegetarian options which rest assured will be worked upon.

We look forward to welcoming you again at the Flora Grand Hotel.