“Used to Love Pizza Here, Not So Much Anymore”
Review of Pizza Sam

Pizza Sam
Ranked #8 of 36 Restaurants in Alma
Price range: US$0 - US$10
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Seafood
Reviewed 21 January 2018

We've been eating here occasionally for over 50 years. The pizza was always wonderful when Sam was there, but now it has changed even though the new owner says it hasn't. Maybe some of the employees don't follow the sauce recipe, and maybe they have started getting cheaper cheese and meats, I don't know. But the last two times we've had pizza there it wasn't good. The ham was super watery the one time, and made the crust wet and soggy on the bottom. Never, ever had that happen before. Last time the sauce didn't taste the same, and the pepperoni was tiny instead of larger like they used to be. Just not "the same."

And now they are closed on Sunday and Monday. Monday I can kind of understand as that is notoriously the slowest day for any restaurant, but to be closed on Sunday when it was one of their busiest days, I don't get that.

I do like that the decor hasn't changed in forever. The restaurant is always clean, and the service has always been fast.

Reviewed 22 December 2017

Excellant pizza, priced right. Our family has came here frequently since I was little. Pizza done right!

Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

Been coming here for 40 years... My parents been coming for almost 70. Decor hasn't change...my love for the pizza hasn't changed either.

Reviewed 18 October 2016 via mobile

Sam's is run by his grandson now. Signature thin crust pizza is about the same as I recently had in Italy.
Excellent, and very different than other local pizza places. Service was excellent. Very reasonable priced, good food, and good service. What more could you ask for?

Reviewed 23 August 2016

My wife and I made a special stop over in ALMA, MI after visiting Mackinaw island just to get a Sam's Pizza. Both of us lived in Alma about 40 years ago and remember Pizza Sam's as the place to go after a game or with the family on the weekend.

The restaurant still looks as it did in the 60's ! It is like stepping back in time. We even sat in the same booth we had when on our first date!

Although Sam is no longer there his son is running the business. The Pizza tastes the same as we remembered. It's hard to describe but it is really good pizza. The cheese and crust of a Sam's Pizza is in a different league than most Pizza places.

The price was also very reasonable compared to the big name pizza places.