See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 30 October 2012

The 'First Street Garden Inn' is a lovely B&B run by its wonderful hosts, the amazing Cathy & Mike. They provide you with insider knowledge to Ann Arbour, Sempé cartoons in the bathroom and the best breakfast in the mid-west. The house is impeccable and our 'suite' consisted of a bed room and a sitting room that contained a dvd-player, monitor, a beautiful bathtub and - behind a small wall the shower and the toilet.

Now, this is the second time I came across an arrangement like this in an American B&B. I might just be a bit different, but I prefer to perform my ablutions in private, if possible behind a sound- and noise-proof door (as does my wife), so neither the sounds nor aromas that emanate from the toilet waft through the sitting room (and, with the door open, the bedroom). The furniture, while tasteful, is getting on a bit and there is a generator behind the house that continues to rumble intermittently through the night.

The shower takes about 5 minutes to get warm, which doesn't make much environmental sense. As our hosts needed to get away early on our departure date, we were asked to leave by 9 am.

None of these are unsurmountable issues, and the impressions you take away are ultimately positive, but for 165 dollars per night in a B&B in Ann Arbor I expect perfection, hence the lower rating.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank tortellinipanda
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Accomodations are charming, comfortable and clean. Convenient location to downtown and the university. Hosts were very personable and eager to accomodate our every need. Breakfasts were yummy and ample. Hosts are a lovely couple with whom we enjoyed substantive conversations.And last but not least, Washtenaw ice cream is just around the corner! This is THE place to stay in Ann Arbor!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I very much enjoyed my stay at this inn. The breakfast was delicious, the room was quaint, and best of all the hosts were wonderful. The location is also good- I walked myself to and from the downtown area both nights of my stay to enjoy dinner and people watching. They went so far as to drive me to my job interview! Will certainly stay here again if I return to Ann Arbor.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank The_Dylaness
Reviewed 16 September 2011

We stayed the weekend of the 2011 Street Art Fair. The city was crowded and we lucked into a room with Kathy. Excellent accommodations, conversations, breakfasts. Can't rec this inn highly enough.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I stayed here alone while i was doing some work at the university.I felt like I was staying at home, there was a lovely lounge room as well as dining room. Also a tv room with soft couches and wireless Internet. Kathy made such delicious breakfasts and served up in so much style. I even spent time with her one evening as I was on my own. I felt safe secure and warm. There was so much class and so much trust. I would stay right there if I went back to Ann arbor.

• Stayed: August 2011