First Street Garden Inn
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Ann Arbor
See available hotels
  • Breakfast included
Bell Tower Hotel(Ann Arbor)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 July 2016

First Street Garden Inn has now become my home-away-from-home while visiting my son at UofM! My family rented all 3 rooms in May 2013 for my son's UofM graduation, and we had a wonderful time being all together, enjoying leisurely family breakfasts with Kathy's delicious cooking, and relaxing on the front porch at the end of our busy days. I just returned to First Street alone, and I found the same gracious welcome & personal accommodation. Sitting with my morning coffee on the front porch was delightful! Kathy offered a robust sweet French toast breakfast made with local organic bread, followed the next day with a savory frittata & polenta. Both delicious meals were meals were served with fresh fruit and abundant coffee. Kathy went out of her way to make me feel comfortable and welcome. A winner experience!

Room Tip: 2 lovely rooms each with their own bath.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 June 2016

I stay in small hotels and B&Bs quite a lot, both for business and leisure, and this is one of the best I've come across. Kathy and Mike were wonderful hosts and the home cooked breakfasts were absolutely wonderful, so much better than in hotels or restaurants. The house was less than a 10 minute walk from the centre of town and just round the corner from the neighbourhood dairy selling home-made ice creams. What more could a traveller want?

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Kathy is a retired high school french teacher. We didn't meet the husband, but he seems to be an alderman.

There was a party in the living room when we arrived. When we returned from dinner, everyone was gone, and Kathy had left a bottle of Taylor sherry & two glasses, plus some nibbles of sweets. Taylor sherry is cheap, but I think it's excellent. These are the little touches that can increase customer satisfaction without costing much. I appreciate them.

The room was cozy, and enough for us. We didn't hear anyone else. The bathroom suited our needs. We liked the style.

For breakfast Kathy baked Heather a delicious fruit torte. For presentation & ingenuity, it's probably the best B&B breakfast experience we've had. (I prefer something low fat, simple grains, yogurt, fruit ... the basics.)

Street parking was no problem. We walked easily to downtown, just a few blocks away.

We tried to stay here again but it was booked, so we stayed at Cadgwith Too (which was fine). We tried to stay here again AGAIN, but it was booked. So we stayed at Casa del Sol (which was not fine).

Room Tip: We stayed in the Art Deco Room. It's the smallest and cheapest as far as I know. I chose it for the decor, which was authentic. Small, but sufficient.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank rob-mccolley
Reviewed 30 October 2012

The 'First Street Garden Inn' is a lovely B&B run by its wonderful hosts, the amazing Cathy & Mike. They provide you with insider knowledge to Ann Arbour, Sempé cartoons in the bathroom and the best breakfast in the mid-west. The house is impeccable and our 'suite' consisted of a bed room and a sitting room that contained a dvd-player, monitor, a beautiful bathtub and - behind a small wall the shower and the toilet.

Now, this is the second time I came across an arrangement like this in an American B&B. I might just be a bit different, but I prefer to perform my ablutions in private, if possible behind a sound- and noise-proof door (as does my wife), so neither the sounds nor aromas that emanate from the toilet waft through the sitting room (and, with the door open, the bedroom). The furniture, while tasteful, is getting on a bit and there is a generator behind the house that continues to rumble intermittently through the night.

The shower takes about 5 minutes to get warm, which doesn't make much environmental sense. As our hosts needed to get away early on our departure date, we were asked to leave by 9 am.

None of these are unsurmountable issues, and the impressions you take away are ultimately positive, but for 165 dollars per night in a B&B in Ann Arbor I expect perfection, hence the lower rating.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank tortellinipanda
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Accomodations are charming, comfortable and clean. Convenient location to downtown and the university. Hosts were very personable and eager to accomodate our every need. Breakfasts were yummy and ample. Hosts are a lovely couple with whom we enjoyed substantive conversations.And last but not least, Washtenaw ice cream is just around the corner! This is THE place to stay in Ann Arbor!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple