“Nice hotel for a nice price”

Fairfield Inn Ann Arbor
Ranked #23 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Nice hotel for a nice price”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I usually stay at another hotel in the same chain which is down the street, but they're prices were much higher than the Fairfield. Since it was just me, and I only needed a room for 3 nights, I booked this hotel instead. I was very pleased that I did! It is a little confusing to find, as it is tucked behind the Courtyard by Marriott and you do have to weave your way to the actual hotel, but after the first night, it was easy to locate and when telling others where you're staying, I would just say, "it's behind the Courtyard".
The hotel is a basic hotel with a few nice surprises. Lobby is clean with a few comfy chairs and dining sets for the breakfast that is served there in the a.m. There is a tiny workout room with 3 pieces of decent equipment, a small snack/sundry area behind the front desk, and a nice-looking indoor pool/spa area (which I did not try) but would now that I know there is one there.
The best part of this hotel is the staff, from the moment I walked into the lobby, everyone that worked there was friendly and helpful. Every front desk staff always looked up and greeted me warmly, always inquired how I was, did I need anything. In the afternoon, they would offer up fresh coffee. The housekeepers that I encountered always said hello, how are you. I had a nice feeling the entire time I was stayed.
The entire hotel was very clean, and smelled fresh and nice. My room was on the 2nd floor, one king bed and a sleeper sofa. First impression of the room was nice and modern, small closet, comfy bed with warm comforter, dresser with flat screen tv, desk w/chair. Bathroom is tiny and is worn, needs updating, although the shower head was very nice, good water pressure and always hot water. Sink is outside the bathroom, which I tend to dislike, but since I was by myself, this was not an issue. Large window with black out drapes overlooked the freeway. I did not get any noise from there and the room was very quiet, I wondered if there were any other guests on my floor! The one issue I had was the heat/air condition unit. which was one of those wall units. Even though I tried many ways to set the temperature, the room would either be freezing or very hot. It was chilly outside so I set the heat on, but within the hour, the room was so hot, even when the temp was set at 65, so I switched to air but it got so cold, I finally just turned the thing off and wore my sweater!
Breakfast is served every morning in the main lobby, make your own waffles, fresh fruit, fruit cups, yogurt, breakfast sandwiches, cereal and hot coffee/tea. Sufficient to get me going in the a.m. Plus the location was good for easy walking/access to many restaurants, sit down and fast food, plus the mall is within an easy 15 minute walk if you don't mind crossing a busy street.
I would definitely stay here again on another visit to the area.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank laenie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Livingston, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 March 2012

the GOOD: absolute wonderful, warm, friendly staff!! great breakfast.
the BAD: sink in actual bedroom, small shower and toilet room
the HORRIBLE: hidden train tracks just beyond hotel with loud, long trains that come through at 3:30 am and 6:30 am waking us both times.
instead of a 3 night stay we checked out after one night. IF you must stay here, do NOT get a room on the left side of the hotel as it's closest to the hidden tracks. Staying in a room on the right side of the hotel is hopefully a lot better!

Room Tip: get a room on the right side of the hotel if you want to get a good night's sleep.

Travellers are raving about these Ann Arbor hotels

Alpena Michigan
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The hotel was booked by an agency travel agent ergo we had no input in hotel selection. I read the reviews re: this hotel and found them to be very accurate with the exception of there are tons of near by resturants chains and local specialities. The rooms are extremely small, the guest book information listed that meeting rooms are available. Wrong!!! According to the desk help no meeting room exist. I was there on business with a group of 5 individuals each of us had our own rooms. We needed to meet to review information. The desk clerk suggested the lobby. Not a good location if private conversations are needed.

The rooms were clean but again extremly small. The sink is in the bedroom. For a single traveler it was okay. There was not adequate space to put the luggage rack outside of the closet. As listed in another review the fan and bathroom light are connected can't have one without the other. If you have problems sleeping avoid corner rooms next to stairways they are noisey.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We stayed here (two rooms) in mid-March for a visit to the University of Michigan.

I agree with the other poster, finding the hotel by using GPS is a little difficult, but since you can see the hotel, you just have to be willing to drive through a parking lot or two to get there.

The staff was wonderful. They were most accommodating and helpful. Check-in was very efficient and easy.

The rooms are clean and comfortable, but it is obvious this is a high traffic hotel because the rooms show their wear and tear. Nothing bad, but you can tell the hotel and its rooms need some updating.

On the plus side, the internet is complimentary and extremely fast (fast enough to comfortably allow me to use my VPN service). The breakfast selections were plentiful with many healthy alternatives.

There are numerous restaurants in the area and campus is just a 10 minute drive away.

Our only complaint was with the noise from rooms near ours. The walls are not "paper-thin" but not sound-proof, either. Nothing terrible, but something to consider.

Overall, this is a very comfortable and useful hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of the hall are quieter than others.
Michigan
Reviewed 7 March 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in March 2012 using points.

Location:
This hotel is located near to I-94 (3 minute drive), the Briarwood Mall (2 minute drive), U of M campus (5-15 minute drive), and the U of M medical center (15 minute drive).
First, this hotel was a little difficult to find. When our GPS told us that we had arrived at our destination we were a little puzzled as we didn't see it anywhere and there wasn't any sign at the road/driveway for it, so turn in at the Courtyard and it is back behind it. (Also in the immediate area there are a ton of hotels, any brand you want. It is basically located in a little subdivision of hotels.) The only restaurant within walking distance is Wendys. But since this hotel is close to the mall, there are lots of mid-priced chain restaurants in the area. The only downside of this hotel (although it would be the same for all of the other hotels nearby as well) was the train. We didn't see the train tracks, when we arrived, but around 2am each night we were awoken by the train.

Staff:
The woman who works the desk in the evening/night is great, very pleasant to deal with.

Room & Amenities:
Our room was of average Marriott hotel size. We had a "king" but it was definitely smaller than a king, but bigger than a queen. The towels were thin and rough, but that's what we typically find at Fairfields. The sink was in the room and the toilet and tub/shower was in a separate room. There was an iron, ironing board, hair dryer, coffee maker, and minifridge in the room. The hotel has free wireless, which worked fine. There is a pool and workout room (2 treadmills and 1 elliptical). This hotel also has free breakfast with a large seating area. For breakfast, there were apples, bananas, yogurt, bread, bagels, muffins, microwavable sandwiches, oatmeal, cereal, waffles, coffee, and tea.

2 Thank lithlith