“Fun place!”

The Silly Goose
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Augusta
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

We had 2 great meals here on our visit! The chicken and waffles was tasty as well as the blackened swordfish served with jambalaya. The cinnamon ice cream was also delicious. Limited menu but can't go wrong with any item you choose!

Date of visit: January 2018
1  Thank tkg624

Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

Absolutely delicious food with a southern charm. Excellent service and beautifully set in historic Augusta, Missouri. Everything on the menu is fantastic including the desserts and we love how family friendly The Silly Goose is. Highly recommend!

Date of visit: January 2018
1  Thank lsumner
Reviewed 19 December 2017 via mobile

Augusta, MO is America’s first viticultural / win region, established as such before even Napa, in 1980.

The town often closes around 5pm, but the first two Fridays in December, Augusta hosts Candlelight Christmas Walks, when the restaurants, stores/shops, and wineries stay open until 9 or 10 pm, and the streets are lined with luminaria (see augusta dash chamber dot org). And The Silly Goose offers wonderful dinners!

We have visited the Candlelight Christmas Walks as a family a few times over the years, and as schedules aligned this year, this offered a date night for just my wife and me… and we had a wonderful night.

The evening started better than planned… work delayed me far longer than planned and we thought we were arriving 30 minutes late, but I had forgotten that the reservation was really for 7:30 to begin with, so we actually arrived two minutes early.

It turned out that The Silly Goose had two dinner reservation times, and we were the first table to arrive for the 7:30.

The room to the left of the front door offered drinks, local wines and also a fine champagne mix… bubbly, a splash of cranberry juice and two cranberries, and a sprig of rosemary. My wife repeated just for me… “that’s rosemary.” I realized that, while sounding “interesting,” it tastes incredibly fine, even with a sprig of rosemary in it… actually, it tastes incredibly fine precisely because it has a sprig of rosemary in it. My wife enjoyed a nice local Chambourcin.

The dinner had three incredibly fine courses, and was served in the room to the right of the front door.

First: My wife ordered the Christmas salad, topped with balsamic and oil, and I the lobster bisque… we shared / split… both incredibly nice.

Main: They offered chicken and waffles, and which sounded quite good, and we both selected the scallops. They were nicely seared and atop pumpkin grits and spinach… am amazing combination… wow, that was good!

Dessert: They offered a cheesecake, and we selected the flourless chocolate cake, which was quite fine, and topped with a nice chocolate sauce

The Silly Goose is in an old / historic building, with a few newer touches, including some dine light fixtures… made of mason jars and hanging wires and Edison bulbs. It sounds like the owner made them himself… a nice touch.

And the walls are adorned with art of cows and pigs and references to the benefits of eating local.

The Silly Goose is a fine restaurant, whether for a couples date night of for a family dinner.

We look forward to returning.

Thank you, Silly Goose!

Date of visit: December 2017
1  Thank Michael V
Reviewed 18 December 2017 via mobile

Excellent food and service! Every dish and offering were delicious. This is a must while visiting Augusta.

Date of visit: December 2017
1  Thank Shane C
JoAnn M, Owner at The Silly Goose, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2017

Hi,
We are so happy that you enjoyed everything, thank you for coming in.

Hope to see you again soon,
JoAnn

Reviewed 12 November 2017

We went on a Sunday night but they were still busy. Had fried green tomatoes that were very good and then fish that was delicious. The dessert was excellent as was the service. I will be back.

Date of visit: October 2017
1  Thank Holly B

Been to The Silly Goose? Share your experiences!