“Regulars”

Ackerlys Grill and Galley Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 10 Restaurants in Alton
Price range: US$7 - US$25
Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

Ackerly's is our neighborhood place. We are so happy it is right downtown where we live. They have great specials almost every night of the week such as Shuck a Buck on Wednesdays in the Summer and Fall. In the Winter it changes to half price fish n chips. Their fish n chips are the best around! We love them. The burgers are great at Ackerly's too. Very good apps to start with, and a good variety of craft beers. There is also a full bar. The staff is friendly and they hustle! Being a small town, the restaurant is small, but they make good use of their space. They added a canopy over their outdoor area this past Summer, which allows for outdoor dining even if it is raining. There are TVs all around usually tuned to sports. Plenty of parking. Never a long wait even though this place is always packed. We always have a good time at Ackerly's.

Reviewed 19 September 2017

Tried to go today. Checked their website, stated hours 11am-10pm for Mondays for summer hours (no other hours listed for fall or winter or what-have-you). Not quite trusting this, I called the restaurant about half hour before opening and got a recorded message stating that they were open on Mondays at 11am. So I gather my elderly parents to take them out to lunch, and of course, when I get them there, it's closed. Sign on door says closed Mondays AND Tuesdays. How hard is it to update a website or at the very least an outgoing message on your phone??? Silver lining, we went to Ellacoya Barn & Grill in Gilford instead for the first time and LOVED it!

Angrea79, Owner at Ackerlys Grill and Galley Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2017

Very valid review. I sincerely apologize, human error. Everything is updated as it should be. You may trust us again...just not with your children. All unattended children will be given candy and soda.

Reviewed 12 September 2017

My family and I vacationed in Alton last month and chose Ackerly's as a spot to celebrate my wife's birthday. The restaurant is a nice a little spot with a reasonable amount of seating for its size. It seemed to be a very popular spot with the locals as most patrons entering seemed to know the staff and/or other patrons. The lighting was very dim but that's a tough thing to complain about to one's server since you don't know how either diners will be affected.

Anyway, it was discount wings night so my wife and I started with a selection of wings. Most flavors were good though I had a long blond hair concealed in the sauce of one of mine (my wife is a brunette and I am bald so not one of ours!). I was only mildly grossed out so didn't bother complaining that one of a dozen 40 cent wings had a hair. My wife had the roasted chicken which was average and I had the Ackerly burger which was also average though I will compliment the bacon aioli on it, which was tasty.

Drink selection for beer, wine and liquor was limited and both food and drink were slow in coming to the table. Our waitress was very pleasant and most of the waitstaff worked as a team to help each other out, which was nice to see. Ultimately my wife and I were disappointed (though my son loved his ice cream!) as we felt that we likely could have prepared a better tasting and less expensive meal ourselves but dining out options in Alton are limited. I would recommend Shibley's at the Pier over Ackerly's if one is looking to dine out in Alton.

I'm very disappointed to hear about the hair. It doesn't happen very often at all, but when it does I cringe some too. I do appreciate your feedback and I really appreciate that you managed some positive notes as well. Teamwork is very important to me as an owner and having you mention that in review is an automatic win for us. Thank you for checking us out and we wish your wife a very belated birthday!

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

I have had lunch & dinner a few times here. The food is ok. The burgers we've had are always cooked well done even though medium is requested. The fish dishes are better which is their specialty. There's not a lot to choose from in town so it's definitely better than pizza. Wish they had air conditioning, or maybe they do but it's not strong enough.

Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

We are local and do not go out too much but had a girlfriends weekend and wanted to try this place for something new! OMG enjoyed the pretzel sticks, baked stuffed haddock was perfect and our mixed drinks were outstanding! Not rushed at all, sat outside and did not leave for hours. Catching up with girlfriends. Waitress was atentative, pleasant and menu for other options looked really good. Will go back for a date night! Maybe we will make it our new regular spot!

Thank you so much for trying us out!