“ANKOR WHAT??”
Review of Angkor Wat

Ranked #2 of 200 things to do in Siem Reap
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Sadly we went in Chinese new year.... as did what seemed like half of SE Asia.
The temple complex was still incredibly impressive, but there were LOTS of people.

Also, beware of the monkeys.

Write a ReviewReviews (40,882)
All reviews
in 1,762 reviews
"tourists"
in 2,296 reviews

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

What can you say, until you see it in the flesh it's difficult to take it in. A truly special place which for many is very spiritual but for others it is merely the ancient architecture that draws you in. Whatever reason, you will certainly enjoy it without doubt. A breathtakingly wonderful experience. Do make sure you have plenty of water with you, it's humid and you will dehydrate very quickly. Give yourself time to take it all in.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Seldom in my life does reality surpass expectations but seeing Angkor Eat in person is hard to believe. It looks like a movie set. The stonework, the carvings, the scale is hard to believe. Really something to see and experience if you can get there. Wonderful experience.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

You research you read and look it up but when you are there it takes your breath away. We visited on 2 days,our guide took us in the north gate and out the west on the second morning we went in the east for the sun rise and out the south. The sunrise on our day wasn’t remarkable but the atmosphere was great. Meant we had cooler morning to carry on with our travels. We had a guide which was well worth it as knew all the right spots for that perfect picture.

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

More than 10 years ago, I took a south East Asian history class; The Khmer Empire and its wonders intrigued me! I have been wanting to come in years, and finally I made it this March!

Woke up at 4am, my family and I came early, and each got a three-day pass to the whole Angkor Wat historical complex. $62 for three days is a deal for us, because we planned and saw 15 different temples!

Starting at 5am, we waited by the library pool in front of Angkor Wat, waiting for the sun to rise. Around 5:45am, the sky lit up a little, and everyone stood up, holding up their cameras. For the next 45 minutes, the sun came out little by little, and it is definitely one of life time kind of experience. Don’t miss it! If you come from the US (and Europe possibly), you most likely have jet lag. Early rising wouldn’t be much of an issue :) Don’t miss the sunrise!

The temple - the Angkor Wat is the signature of the whole historical complex. It is actually the tomb of one of the Khmer kings. Almost all temples in SR as it’s surrounding areas are facing East, but this one is facing West, and reason is till today unclear. Some scholars say that because it’s a tomb, and facing the West means the end of a life cycle. Some do not agree. No conclusion has been reached.

Though most people rush to the architecture itself, I wouldn’t miss the leading bridge. One will find seven-head snake statues here and there at the end and mid point of the bridge. They are the Hindu gods of Naga (please correct me if I’m wrong), a important figure in the religion. Good picture opp :)

The complex itself has 5 towers, and one can climb up to the top of the towers. There is always a line but do wait to go up. The arts on top are not to be missed. If one comes before 7-7:30am, the wait tends to be less than 15 minutes. Recommend to spend 30-45 minutes on top and check out all the detailed art works. All the dancing goddesses on the wall are different! If one actually pays attention, one will see that their hair, dress, and facial expression are all different and unique. These ladies are the Kong’s dancers and reserve ladies (like concubines but may not have served the king in bed). These ladies came to the palace in their teen years and stayed till the king passed. Many of these arts show the lonely life in palace but close friendships among them :)

The murals are not to be missed!!! Please hire a guide if one can! These murals are famous battles between Khmer and its enemies. One can either read about the stories before hand or have a guide discuss the details.

Angkor Wat has so much to see and feel! 3-4 hour minimal recommended! Wear comfortable shoes and bring at least 3 bottles of water! It is hot and exhausting in March (still dry season). I run 7-8 miles a day, but I still found myself huffing and puffing after 5 hours of touring. Be prepared!

Have a fantastic time!