“Good facilities and experience but still far from top class”

Enjoy Antofagasta Hotel Del Desierto
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Antofagasta
Reviewed 7 May 2017

I went there last week (1st week of May 2017) for business purposes to a Congress; while the facilities and services are quite good, the restaurant is a great disappointment.

* Room: Upsides: great views to the ocean, well furnished, comfortable bed and nice design. Downside: Shower quite old with no good control of temperature. Tip: Choose one far from the elevator and in an upper floor like 523, 521, 519 ..., it is very quiet and isolated from the casino.

* Gym & SPA: Nice and well provided, the view is amazing, you can run while you see the sea. The SPA is also good with a series of pools with different temperature, sauna and steam bath.

* Convention Center: With spaced rooms for symposia and personnel willing to serve.

* Reception: It would be good if the management team can review the check-in and check-out processes, there are a lot of steps the personnel have to follow to settle an account, I measured the time of two customers in front of me, and it took 15 minutes each to close the check, not acceptable.

* Restaurant: It is by far the greatest disappointment. Upsides: Good menu and execution of dishes by the Chef, I tasted some of the options, and recommend the 'saltando con camarones'. Downsides: 1. The time that dishes take to come to the table; in every opportunity (4 times) took more than 25 minutes to arrive the food. 2. The bar: Please just forget to ask for a dry martini, it simply is a non-sense. I had to reject it three times and then I had to go to the barman to teach him how to do it... when it finally arrives to the table, it did in a glass and not the proper cup for a martini, the explanation of the waiter is that 'the hotel doesn't have martini cups', can anyone believe it?... the 'wonders' of the bar doesn't end there... the very next day with a group of people we experienced systematically the run out liquors: first the gin, then the erdinger beer... such inventory management for that level of hotel is not acceptable.

So if you go there.. my suggestion is: enjoy the facilities, but be prepared to be patient in the restaurant, or even better, find one outside.

Room Tip: Quieter floor: Upper and far from the elevator: 523, 521, 519
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 25 May 2017

Thank you for staying with us and for your valuable feedback.

We sincerely hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back.

Kind Regards, Maria Laura

Kind regards,

Reviewed 18 January 2017

After a personal road trip in a old-timer from Lima to Santiago in 6 days ! we wanted to relax after three days in a nice hotel and take some rest. So i reserved a quiet room in the Enjoy, hoping to relax and get some good sleep.

We arrived that was ok, even we had to bring our luggage up to the room on our own and we had some dinner in the restaurant. We ordered and the food
didnt arrive, we complained three times since the neighbors table was
served much quicker even they arrived later.

After one hour i am not exaggerating i can even prove it with the fotos i took on my cell phone, the waitress confessed that the ordered food was delivered to the wrong
table and they just ate it, so she was thinking everything was ok. She was kind
of completely uninterested in her job. So we had to wait another 5 Minutes.
The 5 Minutes turned out to 15 Minutes. No excuse from her. I was so upset that i didnt
eat my food, in the meantime it was late, nearly 2300. I asked the invoice and
of course everything was on the bill, even the tip on top already included. I sayd i want to talk to the manager of the restaurant. Another 5 Minutes passed. I sayd to my friend enough is enough we leave.

Leaving the place someone came with my unfinished dish and asked what is wrong why i didnt eat it. What a bad approach! I just went to the reception and told them i am unhappy about the whole procedure they sayd they will investigate.

That was only the beginning of our nightmare. The Hotel gave us on the third floor the room closest to the stage. They had kind of concert with a conferencier which was extremely loud and shouting all 3 minutes .
I phoned to the reception to get another room. The receptionist didnt want to listen or say
an excuse. He sayd only half an hour more Sir. Ok finally the concert finished at 3 am.
No sleep possible till 3 o clock.

In the morning i went without having had breakfast to the reception and asked to talk to the manager. The asked why. Great answer why ? So i lost my contenance and sayd just let me talk to the manager! Of course sunday morning there js no Manager around. I told the receptionist what happened again, to make it clear this time in english since my spanish is rather basic.

No excuse, nothing, even three people were there noone wanted to say excuse.. i just couldn't believe it, i sayd just give me the invoice i dont care about the money i just want to hear an excuse. It took them another 10 minutes
to get the invoice of course everything was on it with the whole restaurant bill. They were incapable giving me the invoice just debited from my prepaid account.

I should write all in the „libro de reclamaciones!“. I sayd forget it, i just want to hear an excuse.
Only after he handed me over the payment slip of my credit card, i heard a Sorry Sir . Why not at the beginning when i complained about the food the noise etc? The whole staff is incapable of handling a complaint . It s a pity for such a hotel to be equiped with such a bad staff.

Normally you advise Guests before when they arrive that there is a concert ! This is normal procedure but not in this hotel. I asked them they just looked at me, as if i have to instruct them what they have to do.

I suggest not to stay in that hotel it is badly managed. I write that report because i gave them 5 days to contact me, but nothing happened. The whole staff, i took photos was not very helpfull. I would say they were ignoring me and didn’t care at all kind of arrogant.

I stayed afterward in the Enjoy in Santiago and everything was fine and ok. I asked the receptionist what happens in a case like that. They couldn't believe that something like that happened in their chain of hotel, but it s the honest truth.

I think that the staff in chilean hotels is untrained to treat customers complaints and to excuse them for any inconvenience happening! I travelled the whole of Chile from Punta Arenas to Arica and stayed at over 30 hotels in Chile the last 5 years. The enjoy in Antofagasta was the worst experience i had and it's definitely not worth the money. A typical Casino Hotel with unqualified staff. Service in Peru, Ecuador Argentina in similar rated hotels are by far much better and the staff is competent and knows how to handle customer complaints.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 4 May 2017

Thank you for staying with us and for your valuable feedback.

We regret to learn of your dissatisfaction with our service. We continually strive to provide the highest quality of service consistently to all of our guests, and apologize that our service did not meet your expectations during your recent visit. Your feedback will be shared with our team so that we can learn from your experience.

We sincerely hope this incident will not deter you from visiting us in the near future and you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 9 January 2017 via mobile

This hotel is great. The hotel is relatively new, the rooms well kept, clean and nice. The bathrooms impecable and comfortable. Amenities are good, room service quick and delicious. The hotel has a great casino downstairs, but is still very quiet. Everything smells nice in the hotel. The hotel has delicious and varied restaurants downstairs. I come to Antofagasta often on business and this is my favorite hotel.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 4 May 2017

Thank you for your Kind Comments! We are glad to know you enjoyed our hotel.

Waiting for your next visit,

Best regards,

Reviewed 5 January 2017

So the hotel is very nice , good service, despite is a couple years old the, you can see some minor issues of maintenance in the rooms and across the hotel. the noise from the casino can be hear in all rooms on the first floors so request a room in the high floor, breakfast is ok.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 4 May 2017

Thank you for your Kind Comments! Your feedback is very important to us.
Best regards,

Reviewed 20 October 2016 via mobile

From the moments you enter the door, you are greeted all the way to reception, the rooms are beautiful set out, bigger then most places! With spa, gym casino and 4 restaurants at your door step what is more to love, positive vibe and great atmosphere!

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Iain A
Juan S, Gerente at Enjoy Antofagasta Hotel Del Desierto, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2016

Dear guest;
Thank you very much for choosing Hotel del Desierto for your stay. Certainly we are glad that your stay and accommodations were up to your expectation.
Your comments are gladly appreciated.
Hopefully we will have you back again in the near future.
faithfully,