“tired Chinese hotel”

Sunshine Holiday Hotel
Ranked #63 of 531 Hotels in Fuzhou
Reviewed 1 April 2013

The experience was a bit disappointing: the staff doesn't speak English, so if you don't have a Chinese speaker with you it may be awful. I had an appartment, which I believe was the top of their accomodation. However, the rooms were a bit dirty (I found some peanuts on the carpet upon check-in) and had a funny smell so everytime i returned to room i sprayed some perfume. I had a computer in the room (which i didn't use because i had my own laptop), but i used their wifi which was quite good (there is also wired internet, but i didn't need it). there are some English channels, but the reception is quite poor. The AC system doesn't seem to make a difference and the windows didn't shut properly, so I woke up at 7 am due to firecrackers noises in the street (the room face the back of the hotel where apparently there is some firecracker shop or something as the noise continued throughout the day).
The breakfast on the 2nd floor offers poor variety for Westerns and again, the room smells funny.
The machines in the gym looked quite tired, but i couldn't use the treadmills because you needed some safety key that they didn't provide).
On the good side: a lot of amenities in the bathroom, tea and coffee making facilities and a tea set, plus complimentary fruit and yoghurt each evening. Also, there is a mall accross the small river in front of the hotel with a coffee shop, a dairy queen and from what i saw a steakhouse (didn't try this on, so don't know if it's really good or not).
Definitely a hotel for the Chinese, as a westerner I would say pick a chain hotel. It's safer.

Room Tip: Maybe choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 7 March 2013

The Scottish Fiddle Orchestra, with a party of 70 people, was well looked after at this hotel. We enjoyed the buffet, and the rooms were very clean and comfortable. Thanks to the staff, who lined up to wave us on our way when we left. We have happy mwemories of our visit to Fuzhou.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Now I wouldn't expect this hotel to of International standard, given the price and positioning of the hotel which seems to be focused to the Chinese middle income level market but it is pretty well managed.

I stayed here in June 2011 for 3 days 2 nights, and it was alright, from breakfast to the room facilities and cleanliness. Service wise it is ok but I speak Mandarin anyway.

While there was a incident with my check-out, partially my fault, which I've left my credit card at the check-out and I've left the hotel on a cab, the hotel staff calls me and asked if they can send it to me which I u-turn to pick it up. The staff should have check if she has returned everything to me but in their service recovery, no harm done and I still felt the hotel is pretty good given their effort to return my credit card to me.

Overall, if I go back to Fuzhou, this hotel would still be on my list of hotel to stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2011

I booked my room online and was upgraded upon arrival to the executive floor. Staff were friendly but little English was spoken (fortunately I was traveling with Chinese-speaking colleagues). Nice Japanese restaurant in the hotel, although it looked like the large glass windows on the inside had not been cleaned for a considerable time.
Rooms were comfortable although a little dated; also, the air conditioning system was not operational. Good selection of Chinese food at breakfast, but no cereal etc.
Overall comfortable experience and I would stay again at this hotel.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Whirob
Reviewed 21 September 2010

Our group 6 persons ,booked 3 rooms , stayed from 16 Sep to 19 Sep 2010. Bad experience with the hotel service.
(1) 2 persons registered for each room, but only gave complimentary yoghurt 1 cup each nite, feedback to Main Counter, the staff gave another cup. But this problem repeated again for all 3 rooms for the other 2 nites.
(2) While having breakfast in East Restaurant on 17 Sep 2010, found "unknown insect body" in food.
(3) 18 Sep 2010, one of the room door was not properly closed by the cleaner after they make up the room.
(4) 'No disturb' red light was on , but the staff just use the master card and entered room, ignoring guest privacy. No respect to guest.
(5) Old facility especially dirty & old carpet. Room are too small ..

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family