“Needs an Update but Very Enjoyable”

Sunshine Holiday Hotel
Ranked #63 of 530 Hotels in Fuzhou
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Unlike the other hotels on my tour of China where I availed myself of my own scoring with 0.5 increments (meaning most hotels I placed at 3.5), this was one was a solid four. I would stay here again.

Despite needing an update, I felt this hotel distinguished itself to me with its attention to service and detail. Though its staff doesn't have a great handle on English, they are friendly and intelligent. (I speak Chinese, so I cannot speak to what may happen when you really can't communicate what you need to.) What I love is the spacious rooms, the open concept of its hallways, and the amenities they have in the room. They have some very old luxury touches like a beautiful and charming tea set in the room, as well as fresh fruit.

Someone will come by with fruit each day, and again in the afternoon.

Service touches like that are nice to have while you're traveling.

Breakfast at this hotel is less impressive than others, but it is good. All of these are better than the Best Western breakfasts in North America where the eggs are pure chemicals and waffle mix an inedible cement mix. Though you can't get waffles here, they have great congee and a variety of side dishes. I enjoyed their dim sum-like sweet sesame balls, though they weren't quite as fresh as I'd like.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 27 June 2014

The hotel was a life saver, after I moved out of another hotel, thought room was a bit worn out, it's was at least clean. They served me a bowl of fruits every day in the room , which was very nice. Breakfast was a wide variety , but was more chinese a choice , but had a small selection of cerel and fruits. Staff was helpful .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I visited Sunshine Holiday Hotel during my business trip to Fuzhou. The entrance is big and spacious. The rooms are wide and clean but getting weared out. There is internet in the rooms. The bed was stiff which was healthy. I couldnot operate the TV since it was a bit complicated. Unfortunately the hotel staff doesnot know English so you have no ways of communication unless you have a Chinese friend or a translator with you. Therefore I avoided calling the maintenance person to fix the TV. Breakfast was of Chinese type which I didnot enjoy at all. Fruits were my savers. The price of 388 RMB was ok for this quality. The massage I had at the healthclub was also average. I rate the hotel as below mediocre.

Room Tip: Ask for a wide room since they have smaşll rooms as well.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Given this hotel is only 400 rmb for a room on elong we were pleased. We were on the business floor rom a bit small but clean, English tv options, once we worked out the instructions, computer supplied, also wifi, fruit etc and hot spring water for the bath. Even the western breakfast was ok though you need to get in well before ten as they start clearing a lot as it then turns into a snack Buffet.
Sedrin red label beer 580ml bottles available along the road to the left as you come out for 3.5 rmb.

Room Tip: If your room does smell of smoke ask for another.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Have you ever enter a hotel room and you first reaction was "Oh dear, I want to change hotel". The room on the 5th floor had a funny smell. The carpet was filthy, full of cigarette burns with lots of body hairs. The bathroom was smelly and the taps were loose.
After protesting I was moved to the 12th floor. The room was of a similar room-type and was a bit less dirty and the carpet has less stains but with cigarette smoke smell in the room. By that time we were exhausted after a long day and didn't want to change room again. We survived by opening the windows, turned on the exhaust fan in the bathroom and turn the room fan to maximum. Since we have to open the windows it was pretty noisy with traffic and loud music from nearby buildings. The bed was as hard as a cardboard.
The restaurant where we had breakfast was generally dirty with heavily stained carpets. The food was mediocre. The only food we dared to eat was boiled eggs and some congee, even the cereal was stale.
The biggest relief was when we checked out of the hotel we knew that we will never come back again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple