“A quiet attraction in JIangsu”

Jinshan Temple of Zhenjiang
Reviewed 4 May 2015

Although Zhenjiang is a small city in Jiangsu, it could still keep the peaceful and quiet atmosphere at the time when I traveled. Jinshan Temple is one of the scenes in Jinshan Park which is large enough to spend 2 hours over there.

All reviews
"buddhist"
"hill"
"park"

Reviewed 27 April 2015

The park aroung the temple, might be a nicer place, but at the day of my visit is was very cold and windy.
It gives a good impresion about the chinese culture.

Reviewed 13 September 2014

Zhenjiang definitely deserves more travellers than it receives. In Jiangsu province travellers rarely seem to add more than Nanjing and Suzhou, ignoring alternative destinations like Yangzhou, Wuxi and Zhenjiang. For the traveller with more time, the best of these lesser-known sites compare favourably with the attractions of Suzhou and Nanjing and are worth considering.

Zhenjiang's best two sights are a pair of temples set on hills, Jiaoshan and Jinshan. At a pinch, I would say that we preferred Jiaoshan with its tranquil island setting, but Jinshan is also quite wonderful and worth a leisurely visit. The main sight is a Ming Dynasty temple with impressive coloured tiles on the roof and some monstrous statues in its main hall. It is also worth clambering up the hill to see the grotto and pagoda on the peak of the hill, though the pagoda is currently off limits due to a restoration project,

Reviewed 4 September 2014

Last autumn,I traveled to Jinshan Temple with my friend. The scenery there was really beautiful especially in such a lovely season.
I am very interested in the Buddhist culture,so I visited many Buddhas. Stepping into the front hall, a grant Buddha image was represented before my eyes, I recognized that was Goddess of Mercy. In front of the Buddha, there was a cushion prepared for kowtow. Most of people prayed there and believed that The Goddess of Mercy would help them to realize there dream. In that hall, there are also other deities with different expressions and various postures there. However, I did not know them well.
After visiting the hall for a while, we walked along a path to the mountain behind the hall. There was a tower on the peak, because we were too lazy to climb there, then we just stop there and watch the stone monument along the side. I’ve heard that the monument was written Kangxi imperial. There was also a long gallery where a lot of delicate painting there. People who are interested calligraphy could have a look there.
The golden autumn made the temple more charming and gorgeous. We have taken a lot of pictures there. And the Buddhist culture and the tale of temple brought us a kind of mysterious feeling. There are also many things worth seeing there, why not travel there? Hope you guys have a nice trip.

See more reviews
Reviewed 4 September 2014

After watching Nanjing 2014 Youth Olympic Games opening ceremony on Aug 16th, my family and I took a trip to Zhenjiang on our way home. It only takes about 20 minutes there by bullet high-speed train. Our first step in Zhenjiang was of course Jinshan Temple.

Jinshan Temple is related to an old story in China-----“Tale of the White Snake”. It was said that there was a woman called Bai Suzhen. She was a carnation of a white snake. She was willing to repay Xu Xian for saving her life 500 years ago. Then she descended to the world and married him, living together happily. But a Monk named Fahai from Jinshan Temple intended to kill Bai Suzhen because he thought she was evil. Later, he detained Xu Xian in Jinshan Temple. What he did parted the couple. However, they tried everything to be together again. In some way, it’s a love story.

Stepping into the temple, the main hall first came into my view, it’s theJiangtian Buddhist Temple. Usually the gates of temples open southwards, yet the gate of Jinshan Hill opens west. According to historical records, the architects at that time intended to build the gate in that way. In ancient times, Jinshan Hill stood in the middle of the Yangtze River. Tourists looked ahead through the gate and saw the mighty river rolling down. The scene suited exactly the meaning of poem----“The Yangtze River flows to the east while the hills seem to move westwards”. That’s where are the architects showed their ingenuity.