“Free and nice... but basic”
Review of Sichuan Museum

Ranked #18 of 346 things to do in Chengdu
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 1 May 2017

Really nice place for an hour or two. Simple museum. Conveniently located near to Du Fu Thatched Cottage - and thus a PERFECT addition to an afternoon seeing 'Du Fu'. The stone carvings on the bottom floor are AMAZING... but the museum generally is quite small and basic.

Reviewed 30 March 2017

This museum is great for a few hour visit. It is interesting, but there is not a lot of information that is in English. There are a few signs, but most is in Chinese. It is still possible to get a gist for the exhibits.

Reviewed 12 March 2017 via mobile

Volunteer tour made it! I walked in and instantly was offered to be taken around the pottery and stone exhibition a volunteer. This was so great, as he explained the pieces, told me stories and myths about the art and carvings and I learned way more than if I walked around on my own. Very nice to have someone with passion show you around, I recommend it! Rest of the museum was good, interesting pieces and history of Chengdu.

Reviewed 4 March 2017 via mobile

I tried to go to this museum last Monday but I should have checked first as most museums (musea?) are closed Mondays so I went after I visited the Panda Breeding Facility which took less time than heading back to my hotel in the city center as we avoided Saturday afternoon traffic.

My expectations for this museum was low so perhaps that's why I enjoyed it so much. There are artifacts dating back almost 2000 years (or more) and I found them to be fascinating.

Entrance to the museum is free - just show ID. I don't carry my passport around and they accepted a look at my Canadian drivers License so all was good.

There are many examples of Chinese history on display from elaborate paintings and ceramics to bronzes. I was fascinated by the ancient t swords - just like the ones they make on Forged With Fire on TV. Maybe it's the engineer in me but you need to think of then technology available to the craftsmen and artisans of the time that allowed them to craft the items on display. Most items were not used by common folks but rather for nobility.

I spent a couple of quality hours and the bonus is that the permanent displays have excellent English explanations so it was easy to follow and understand without paying for the audio guide (I jump around too much to follow the pace of an audio guide - my wife enjoys the strut the guide provides, not me.

I bumped into a couple of Buddhists visiting the Buddhist display and took their picture for them and took a selfies with them as well. They thought Canada was exotic!!

Enjoy your visit and let me know what you thought of this museum!!

Reviewed 14 February 2017

extremely interesting collection - covering a wide variety from cultural heritage to arts and craft.