All reviews buffet restaurant airport shuttle stayed here for nights nice hotel bathroom english china linens subway
Reviewed 15 June 2015 via mobile

If your needing to do business in Chengdu CBD and looking for a less expensive option than the nearby Marriott or Fraser Suites, then Minshan Hotel is a good option. Wifi works well, there is a newish gym which is pretty ok by hotel standards. Not big but nicely done, and a outdoor pool which is ok as well. Breakfast Buffett was plentiful, leaning on the Chinese side, but lots of western options. Rooms are fine. It's a well done property and compares nicely on price. My room was 650 rmb a night with breakfast.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 May 2015 via mobile

Beautiful hotel. We had a business room which was probably the best of all our stay in mainland China. Big, luxurious, comfortable. Fabulous view and a bathroom with two sinks.

We had a meal in the restaurant on the 21st floor. Lovely location and food, service was a delight. Only slight complaint was that the food there was western - so a compromise needed to get the setting and view or go to the Chinese restaurant at the bottom. Would have been nice to have been able to have good Chinese food in that lovely setting but guess they find there is no demand.

Location is good- rather than turn right outside and finding you are in any designer shop city, turn right and right again to go for a lovely evening walk along the river. Charming and lovely when lit up.

Would certainly recommend this hotel - beautiful.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2015

I stayed in Chengdu for one night at the Minshan Hotel – a large modern hotel which had a
welcoming foyer, complete with the ubiqious stuffed pandas – this IS panda
country after all!

My room was on the 14th floor and was large and airy with stunning views over the
city and was well appointed.

We had a buffet dinner at night-time and had been warned that the local food was
incredibly spicy – mouth numbing would be more appropriate but there was lots of
it and those with an asbestos palate were very happy. Breakfast the following
morning was equally varied – with something for everyone.

The hotel was in a great location – 5 minute walk to the main square past lots
of designer stores – but to be honest, at night time the light displays on the
surrounding buildings were so stunning that you became completely distracted –
so the walk was rather prolonged!

My only complaint in fact was that the advertised swimming pool turned out to
an outdoor pool which was closed in the winter.

Lovely hotel with stunning fitments in the lounge – I especially liked the glass
ceiling fixtures – and one I would be happy to recommend to anyone visiting the
city.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 November 2014

Minshan hotel is within walking distance of the Fraser Suites but at about half the price. The room we stayed in was at their business wing so probably less elegant and a bit smoky. This hotel's dinner buffet looked good with fresh sushi, clams, etc.. The dinner buffet cost would be 150+ RMB with an in room 50 RMB coupon and that includes the 15% service fee. Room size is fine but the furnishings and condition of the facility can't compare with the Fraser Suite. During the morning rush hour, the traffic jam can be significant and a trip to the T1 terminal can take 45 minutes. Allow another 40 minutes or so to find your airline counters, get to the International Customs, not the domestic Customs, and clear the long and slow lines at the Customs.

Room Tip: In the business wing, one needs to pay a 200 RMB deposit to get a Wi-Fi device that plugs into a LAN cable.and a receptacle.
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2014

Pretentious, soulless and impersonal are the words I would use to describe this huge international hotel. Nothing at all Chinese about our Executive room on the 20th floor; it could have been anywhere in the World. The hotel's one redeeming feature, as far as I am concerned, was its 21st floor River View Restaurant, which was really nice.

So where do I start with the reasons why we did not enjoy our stay at the Minshan? Well the caption summarises it, but for specifics:

For a supposedly international standard hotel, I would have expected that the staff could perhaps have spoken better English.

I would have expected the bank ATM in the lobby area to be one that accepted International cards. It didn't accept mine and I had to walk ten minutes up the road to the Bank of China to draw some cash.

The small flies helping themselves to some of the breakfast buffet dishes on the first morning were quite off putting.

Our executive room on the 20th floor was, on the face of it, very stylish. But it was, in our opinion, a triumph of style over practicality.
There was little full hanging space in the wardrobe and nowhere near enough sensible storage space for shoes.
In the his and hers sinks bathroom there was virtually nowhere to hang the many towels.
The levels of lighting were not good, especially at the mirrors over the sinks.
All room lighting was controlled by flush touch button consoles on either side of the bed. It meant that if you tried to turn one bedside light on in the night you were likely to turn them all on, because of not being able to tell which is which.

When we arrived, as is the custom in most hotels, they took a pre-authorisation on my credit card; obviously they chose the amount to reserve, not me. So when we had a very nice meal at the River View restaurant on the 21st floor and I asked to charge the bill to our room, I was gobsmacked to be told that our pre-authorisation was not enough to cover it, so we would have to pay there and then by credit card. For goodness sake! Any decent hotel will just let you sign and sort it out on checkout, but not the Minshan!

The bed, I have to admit, was reasonably comfortable.

All in all though, we were glad to leave the Minshan and move on to our next destination. I could not recommend anyone to stay there.

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple