See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 31 May 2016

The hotel is really trying hard to be a "Grand Hotel". It is located in the downtown area, near many restaurants and commercial centers. You won't find too many gringos here at all, but if I wanted to be with gringos, I would stay home! It's totally safe during the daytime, and as all experienced travelers know, you must be very careful in South America at night. The room had a nice hydrating fan, tv, good bathroom and a balcony with a view. The bed was a bit firm, but thats how I like it. I skipped breakfast most days, because that is an area of improvement they need in order to be truly grand. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. It's about a 3.5 star hotel, but I had a great 7 day stay, so even though the breakfast was kind of a bad joke I gave it a five, due to outstanding comfort, security, location, and friendly staff, who were always willing to accommodate my needs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 12th floor, with a balcony, and you will be very pleased. Very quiet. No noise from the street or other guests.
Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Sara C, Servicio al cliente at Gran Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2016

Steven_el_Gordo. As you could see, our location lends itself to be able to enjoy different tourist activities and entertainment. Medellín is a city that has people of different backgrounds and cultures, and exploring the city you can find from all continents. Agree that our city (such as several in the world) is transforming its Center, to make it a place with more tourist and cultural movement. We like that you could enjoy each one of the elements of the room and to rest while you were with us. We will take all your observations into account, to keep improving our services and highlight the excellent quality that sets us apart. It would be a taste to have you with us next time.

Reviewed 26 February 2016 via mobile

I stayed here two nights. I was very pleased. Nice hot water with pressure when I wanted it. I stayed in room 1105 which has a nice balcony with cool views. Everyone was really nice and friendly. Room has a safe. Room had no AC but they have a humidifying fan which kept the room nice a cool. I slept like a baby here. Great prices available. Easy to catch cab out front and go anywhere pretty cheap.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank MANG0SM00TH
Sara C, Servicio al cliente at Gran Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2016

Maughaum

Thank you for your good comments about our Gran Hotel Medellin.

It's good that during your stay you enjoyed the comfort in the rooms and the service provided by our hosts. We are pleased that the time was shared with us his complete satisfaction; It will be very pleasant for all our staff serve you again.

We want to have you back soon, we hope.

Reviewed 8 September 2015

This hotel is located downtown and a little noisy but not bad. The staff is great. The room is good, but not great. The breakfast was OK. The price was right. Sure, you can stay at a hotel for $200 a night, but why. For the money I liked the place.

Room Tip: Get a room higher up.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank ajijicartist
Jose U, Customer Service at Gran Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2015

Ajijicartist

We appreciate the time you took to post your opinion on TripAdvisor .

It's good for all our hosts who stay was successful and that you enjoyed our facilities .

We hope soon !

A TripAdvisor Member
Edinburgh
119121
Reviewed 8 August 2015

I was so happy with my stay at Gran Hotel that I sought out the manager before leaving him to thank him personally. After a couple of my compliments, he joked, "Well, we're not a seven-star hotel!"

The Gran is not 7-star. It's not even five. What it excels in is hospitality. I had arrived after checking out some prices that morning, only to find that they were now "fully booked." I'm standing in the reception area with all my luggage and this is an enormous hotel. I ask the receptionist, a patient, friendly and very helpful young lady called Brenda, to double check. (I reason that it is like big cinemas: large venues usually have at least one small vacancy even if it isn't advertised.) You have to be very politely insistent; and patient! Eventually Brenda takes me through to see the manager. I repeat my keenness to stay at his establishment, my tight budget, and my hope that he might be able to find me something.

He has a look and says there is a "Junior Suite" not advertised on the booking sites that is normally more expensive but that he is willing to offer me a discount as I am staying for five nights, paying cash (and presumably it is otherwise empty). I'm worried about an upsell on a smaller room but he assures me it is a better room and the bell-boy takes me to see it.

I've already seen a standard good room (when checking out the hotel earlier) and this is very different. Whereas most of the rooms are spacious, white-walled and modern without being excessively luxurious, the Junior Suite is enormous, carpeted, full of good quality polished wood furniture. Without wanting to appear too keen, I am over the moon, especially when we settle on a price that is comparably generous.

The Junior Suite had pretty much everything I wanted. It had lots of space -- even the bathroom was a suite (with a second room for the bath/shower). It was quiet. It felt, in the whole of this massive hotel, very personal and special. The vast bed was more like a fine treasured antique than something that money could just buy. There were two TVs, one in the bedroom and one on the living room, as well as two air-conditioners, a nice writing desk and lots of chairs. A small fridge kept my drinks and fruit fresh.

All the staff I met were thoroughly welcoming. The restaurant is open long hours. It is not cordon bleu by any means, but the staff showed a genuine pride in the meals they prepared and served. Even in this enormous hotel, it felt like personal service. Doormen, concierge and so on always seemed to go out of their way to help, and for the genuine love of it rather than expecting 'tips.'

It is not, as I said, 7-star or even 5-star. The wifi was fine at one end of the suite but not in the bedroom. The bath was a bit quirky, taking a long time to fill, and four phones in the suite were a bit much for my liking (I simply disconnected three). The location is excellent for downtown (assuming this is your choice rather than the more metropolitan Poblado area). It is within an easy walk of the museum with all the marvellous Botero pieces, the Metro, the airport bus, and all the places of historic or special interest. Unlike many parts of downtown it is a respectable area with many shops and next to the main highway to popular Poblado if that is your choice for a night out. There are always plenty of taxis which, in Medellin, are remarkably inexpensive.

The suite is one of the nicest places I've stayed. I would return here if I get the chance with my partner. The hotel website (probably the only place you can reserve it online) promotes it as the sort of suite you might like for a honeymoon. For me, it simply gave me wonderful memories of Medellin!

Room Tip: have a look at some rooms first!
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

TheBigStick
We look forward to your full and detailed review on our TripAdvisor Gran Hotel Medellin .

It is a pleasure in our recepción agent Brenda , of our Commercial Director, and other members of our family have made a cozy stay .

They like our room this the Junior Suite with all its attachments Hague Sido your total satisfaction as well as our strategic location.

Expresses happiness fills us have made wonderful memories Its high as you .

It will be a pleasure to have you with us again , and of course your partner para Company to Build memorable moments together.

Reviewed 25 July 2015

Gran Hotel is a beautiful Hotel with a very good service. The staff is very kind and helpful. The people who work in the restaurant are amazing, especially Ms. Maria Stella and Deisi. Thank you to everybody for this wonderful experiece.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank BasirAhang

BasirAhang

It is a pleasure as receive good comments from our dear guests .

We are pleased that you enjoyed our facilities and that all staff have attended him as he deserves , especially our host Sor Maria and Deisi .

It is a pleasure for the whole family to continue generating Grand Hotel in wonderful experiences you hopeyou soon !