Secret Buddha Hostel Medellin
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmarianotaxihostelmetropobladoparty
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 July 2016

I had an incredible time at the secret buddha. The hostel itself is in a fantastic location, with a beautiful garden, very comfortable rooms and a unique atmosphere. The owner could not have been more hospitable - showing me around and explaining the culture and history of Medellin. Very highly recommended.

Room Tip: All are good
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 June 2016

everything was a pleasant surprise, but the energy of the secret buddha is pure magic , the service is genuine and kind, beautiful state you breathe nature, art and design everywhere, therapies available upon request. nice 20 to 25 min ride to the center perfect to see the city, bus is just 80 m from the retreat so it is very accessible. If you are lucky the owner is not traveling and he will cook for you and even give you a mezcal tasting, we stayed a week longer than we planned. definitely a home away from home

Room Tip: stay in the red room or the buddha suite, both have stone bath tubs balconies and beautiful views from the second level
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2016 via mobile

Words can't even describe how bad this place is.

So we arrived and while our transfer is driving to the very badly located hostel, we see a homeless person sleeping in a card box at the entrance of the hostel (outside).

Once we left the car we were greeted by a Colombian lady who for no apparent reason was wearing a mask, who did not speak a word of English and who did not asked us for any I.D or bother to explain anything.

Our "private room" had a door without lock but, more importantly, a HUGE HOLE in the wall (see pictures attached where I have tried to cover it with a blanket) which prevented us from having any privacy whatsoever and also made every sound every loud as there were no walls between us and the rest of the people.

The bed was really dirty with hairs on the sheets. The bathroom has not been cleaned for a long time as I managed to find spider webs inside the bath. There is creepy stuff everywhere and weird dusty stuffed toys.

My girlfriend and I checked out after the first nigh and were asked to pay for the remaining nights, all in cash, with the only ATM being over 1.5 miles away.

My girlfriend was to afraid to sleep because of how scary the entire place was. The hostel is located absolutely in the middle of nowhere in a very dodgy area so we found it hard to get back to the city.

Definitely not what we were expecting and the worst stay of my life.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2016

What a wonderful place to relax after a week in Poblado. The rooms are comfortable and Mariano's the perfect host! If you're there on the weekend when he cooks breakfast you're in for a treat. Looking forward to coming back soon ~

Stayed: January 2016
Reviewed 25 December 2014

If you’re like me and enjoy off the beaten path locales I would highly recommend the Secret Buddha Hostel. Yes, it’s not in the center of town but that’s what makes it unique and special. The metro is simple to use and you always have friendly staff and locals ready and willing to help you find your way.

The hostel is quiet and the perfect place to relax and unwind after a long day in the busy chaotic streets of Medellin. The staff is friendly and always willing to help where they can. Mariano the owner is very friendly and extremely helpful.

My favorite area was the exquisite garden and outdoor seating area! If you’re an animal lover like me, you are going to love the two beautiful dogs that like to hang out in that area.

Overall I had a great stay here. Expect friendly staff, excellent service, spacious entertainment
rooms, clean rooms, and a peaceful retreat within Medellin.

• Stayed: December 2014, travelled solo