All reviews room service first floor stadium gym plugs
Reviewed 1 May 2018

Stayed here for one week and really enjoyed it. The staff were very friendly and helpful. There were a few small issues but all of them were resolved very quickly when pointed out. The hotels locations next to the sport stadium is very convenient

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 17 April 2018

This hotel is not set up for business travelers - Wifi disconnected, no safe, hairdryer or iron in the room etc and confusion around posting mail. The location is also not convenient for the main areas in Medellin (you need to taxi). Also, they advertise a jacuzzi and gym - neither were operating. The staff were lovely and helpful, which was nice. Breakfast was limited.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank asterthackery
Reviewed 28 October 2017

First of I tried calling the Tryp Medellin from my country and just could not get through. I even called my online travel agent and asked them to call and after many attempts they too could not get to the hotel and in the end they gave me a US$40 voucher for their failed attempt. I was, therefore, unable to inform the hotel that I would be arriving in Medellin at 11.30 PM and could not arrange transport with the hotel from the International airport. However, as they say alls well that ends well, I got a taxi from the airport and the front desk was there after midnight to check me in.
I spent 24 nights at this hotel. The main reason I chose this hotel was because of its proximity to the Girodot sports complex; it is opposite to the complex and I was able to go for my morning runs on the periphery of the sports complex and also the athletic track inside. Also on Sunday mornings they close off the road around the complex for running, walking, cycling and skating. Overall the area smacks of health consciousness and has a very energetic atmosphere with lots of healthful activities.
The physical hotel is of a good quality and the employees are very helpful. The rooms are spacious and housekeeping keeps them clean. I was disappointed by the quality of the breakfast as I have had better in every other hotel in which I've stayed in Medellin. The breakfast is much closer in quality to that served in American hotels and I believe that even in American hotels one is able to get fried eggs sunny side up which was not always available here; some mornings I was told that I just could not get it. However, I must say that I did not see any other hotel guest order that during my stay. Furthermore, I also cannot say that I saw any other guest who was not Latin American during my stay.
My main grouse, however, was the noise. The rooms are not sound proof. On my arrival I was placed on the 13th floor (room 1310) which is just below the top (14th floor). However, on weekends there are usually functions on the 13th floor which normally involves a band and on that occasion not even airplugs will help you if you are on the 13th floor. I checked and the music is audible also on the 12th floor and possibly the 11th. Being a light sleeper I asked for a room change and was placed in room 808 on the 8th floor. The advantage of the 13 th floor is that it is furthest from the street and there the noise from the traffic outside is at its minimum in the hotel. I discovered that the windows of the rooms do not shut out outside noise and street noise especially motor cycles and honking of horns are audible from the rooms.
My problem with room 808 was the difficulty in obtaining an internet connection. It became obvious to me that some rooms had a better internet connection than others. A reasonable connection being of great importance to me I asked to be moved again this time to a room with a better internet connection. I also took the opportunity to request a room on a higher floor which would probably have less street noise.
I was then placed in room 906 in which the internet was much better. However, my first week in that room was the worst of my stay in the hotel. During my stay at the hotel there were many people staying there who were there for performances at the sport complex and during that week there were numerous teenagers on the 9th floor apparently at an average of possibly 3 per room. I found that the walls of the rooms were quite thick enough to reduce sound between rooms; however, the noise from the corridors was horrendous. There was running up and down the corridor and shouting at all hours of the night.
After they departed it was much better. However, on one occasion the fire alarm went off at 1.22 am and again at 1.45 am the same night. I went down to the lobby after the second alarm and the attendant was quite surprised to see me and said I should have called.
In concluding I would state that if you are a light sleeper like me this hotel is not for you. If you do not have to be near to the sport complex then you would be better off in a more quiet area like Poblado. If you are a light sleeper and want to stay here you could probably take your chances on perhaps the 10th floor and hope that that floor is not inundated with teenagers during your stay. Also, if you are ok sleeping with ear plugs you may be alright.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have less street noise but weekend party noise on 14th floor may filter down to adjacent floors.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 July 2017

I stayed at this property with my wife and 14 year old daughter (July 9-15), since this was the Official Hotel for the ATP Claro Open Challenger at the Club Campestre.
I think the Hotel is very good for business clients. The Staff were amazing ! Very friendly, kind and service oriented. Being on a main "Avenida Colombia", there is a lot of traffic passing by and the front of the Hotel looks dirty most of the time. The Flags outside the hotel were kind of black from the smoke and dirt. My daughter was ill for 2 days and we got a lot of support from the staff. We were able to use the services of the Doctor on call which is included in the insurance one pays with the Hotel rate. We were able to get a Thermometer from the front desk as well. My wife asked for room service and she received the dishes without a tray which we found strange for a hotel of this level. Overall, we had a nice stay !

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2017

Good hotel for business, staff at the restaurant were charming and service-oriented. The room was really big, a junior suite, at a really good price.

They have a separate gym that can be used by guests, and a conference room area.

The views from the 14th floor were amazing (the Spa is located in that floor). Non-smoking policy strictly followed. Only smoking areas are right next to the restaurants and a hall at the 14th floor.

Stayed there for business and I'm surely coming back in a couple of weeks. They had issues with the hot water the first two days of my stay, but this was solved.

Room Tip: Best views at the top floors.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business