“Nice time”
Review of Cubacan

Cubacan
Reserve with OpenTable
Cubacan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 125 Restaurants in Asbury Park
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: Cuban
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: New restaurant, maybe March or April of 2011
Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

Hip and swanky inside with a Havana style band playing gives this Asbury Park boardwalk eatery a uniquely feel that you could be in South Beach. The food was spot on. Loved the carmelized flan for desert. My wife and I throughly enjoyed.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

Overall the experience and food was very sub par. The wait staff was very slow and rude, the food was of low quality and the atmosphere was very cold. We waited for over 10 minutes for our drinks (while the water chatted with someone at the bar right in front of us) and then when we finally were able to give our order, my wife asked to substitute vegetables instead of Rice the waiter snapped that they don't allow any changes to the menu! The rest of the service was equally slow and cold.

The whole time we sat at dinner, we could hear a droning sound of dance music coming from the upstairs night club. Very annoying. The bathrooms were also very dirty and while in there, I had to wait on line for several transient people from the boardwalk who came in to use the bathroom! We will not be coming back!

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Small, cozy, great food, great service. Tapas are very good. Outdoor seating in season. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 22 September 2017

I have frequented Cubacan on the Asbury Park boardwalk on various occasions for business lunches/dinners or with friends and have refrained from reviewing because I felt that it could do better! The advertised description of the atmosphere is faithfully delivered here, offering clients a contemporary Latin ambiance with tropical elegance which at the same time is warm, inviting and energetic. The background music is fantastic! Service is mixed; I had occasions when servers and staff have been very attentive and knowledgeable and others when service has lacked. As per food, some of the appetizers I have tried over time are in order of preference are Empanadas, Croquetas, Tostones, Calamari and Octopus; it will suffice to say that I like the Empanadas sold by the food truck on the North side of the boardwalk better than the ones here, I found that at times the dough has been overwhelming and filling has been bland. The Croquetas I found mostly unsavory with a non-descript taste while the chicken-filled Tostones are over-powered by the taste of the peppers in the sauce… I can’t digest it! The Calamari and Octopus are really a letdown since these are my two favorite dishes… I found them to be chewy and tasteless… Too bad! The only sandwich I have tried has been the Choripan, which did not by any means satisfied me. As per Entrees, again in order of preference are Sea Bass, Ropa Vieja, Churrasco and Lechon Asado and their usual accompaniments rice, beans, or sometimes Moros y Cristianos, (rice and black bean cooked together) have been just adequate. I truly would like this restaurant to do better in terms of Cuban cuisine since they seem to have a handle on everything else! BUMMER!!!

Reviewed 14 September 2017

Not impressed to be honest. We ordered a scallops appetizer with avocados and the avocados were hard as a rock. The other food was OK and at least you get to sit on the boardwalk