“Excellent traditional seafood restaurant”

Dock's Oyster House
Reserve with OpenTable
Dock's Oyster House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 407 Restaurants in Atlantic City
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, View, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Georgia Avenue
Reviewed 23 October 2017

Despite long wait....25 minutes beyond reservation time...Dock's was a great Saturday "date night". Service was very good and the food was prepared properly, rare these days as too many seafood places overcook the fish or venture into too much trendy recipes.

Not cheap, but worth the money for a special time.

Hint, you can enjoy good food at the bar for less. For example, at the bar during happy hour, $1 per oyster instead of $2.25. Similar savings on other items.

1  Thank chickenpipe
Write a ReviewReviews (1,315)

Reviewed 21 October 2017

Everytime I visit AC I try to stop into Docks for their great seafood. Never am disapointed food and service are great.

1  Thank cgardner21
Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

This is absolutely one of our two favorite restaurants (head to the Poconos for our other). Dock’s always serves delicious food, perfectly cooked. Service is sublime ... attentive, helpful and friendly. This time, we both had steamed king crab (so sweet and tasty that the melted butter never got touched). As silly as it may sound, they served the very best rolls with dinner. Dock’s may not like hearing this but it’s my favorite dessert ... that roll, buttered, with a great cup (or two) of good coffee. Can’t wait to return.

1  Thank Terri F
Reviewed 8 October 2017

Sublime. Top Notch. Exquisite. Simply one of the best dining experiences we have ever had. We picked Dock’s because my Husband loves oysters and Dock’s has ten different types on the menu – and they also have a rotating selection on the happy hour bar menu from 4-6. Cocktails at the bar – me a Gin and Tonic, my Husband a Martini and three types of oysters to start. The restaurant is relatively recently renovated and the interior is perfect – comfortable, dark wood, white, clean, fresh modern but historic too.

From there we were whisked away to our waiting table by the frosted glass windows. Nice touch: white linens but padded soft table top. Clearly there is tremendous attention and pride in detail at this landmark restaurant.

Our Waiter, Dan, was present, friendly and knowledgeable helping us make good choices: My Hubby ordered The Maine chowder with a creamy silky smooth sauce and clams in the shell which was delicious, paired with a Sancerre and I (a vegetarian) ordered the tomato and blue cheese salad, paired with Prosecco. My Husband chose the halibut that was a special that evening served with broccoli rabe, shallots, tomatoes, etc. and I – sensing I would fill up too quickly – left this to our Waiter to pick. He chose an air-filled potato jacket that was crispy, salty and just enough to eat before moving onto the dessert menu.

Get dessert – seriously: Joe’s Cheese Pie – a special menu item at this historic venue is like a very light, whipped version of cheesecake with a side of raspberry sorbet. My Husband had a nearly flourless chocolate cake topped with raspberry sauce, fresh whipped cream and sorbet. Some cappuccino and coffee set these off before we retired to the piano bar.

Our Waiter, Dan let the Bar Manager, Dimitri know we were interested in porto and we were delighted to have him spend a moment educating us on the finer points of port before offering us two to sample.

The adjacent valet parking made for a perfect end to our visit. What a great place! We’ll be back for sure.

2  Thank HedgeFundGirl69
Reviewed 6 October 2017 via mobile

We had dinner reservations for 5 at 8pm on 09/11/17. We are seated shortly after they cleaned our table.  Our server promptly arrived & took care of us, as best he could. (more on that below)

1897 Margarita - Dock's Reposado Patron, Cointreau, Lime Juice, Agave; served on the rocks with or without a salted rim. - Wife, BIL & myself each ordered one. We toasted another night out with this tasty rita.
Raw Oysters-  Wellfleets (Cape Cod, Massachusetts), Long Island Medium (Norwalk, Connecticut), Malpeque (Malpeque Bay, Prince Edward Island), Old Salt (Chesapeake Bay, Virginia), Rappahanock (Rappahanock River, Virginia), Barcats  (Lynnhaven, Virginia), Blue Points (Long Island, New York), Cape May Salts (Cape May, New Jersey), Chesapeake Bay (Chesapeake Bay, Maryland), Island Creek (Duxbury, Massachusetts)
I honestly couldn't tell a difference between any of these, other than size. Each one tasted fresh. This was probably my favorite dish.
Shrimp Ceviche
shrimp marinated in citrus with jalapeno, tomatoes, peppers, avocados, cucumbers, cilantro and onion - If my MIL sees ceviche on the menu, she almost always orders it. She LOVED this one. She ate it so quick lol

Scallop Ceviche
Scallops, jalapeno, cucumber, cilantro, orange, shallot, lemon juice - FIL picked at it. I think he wished he would have gotten the shrimp ceviche instead.
Appetizer Medley - oysters Rockefeller, clams casino and grilled jumbo shrimp - Wife & I split this. Great dish! This was my first time eating clams casino, AWESOME.
Maine Chowder – "like New England but better" is what they claim.
FIL ate 3-4 bites & pushed it away. He was not interested in finishing it.  This one is served with the clams still in the shell and our waiter let us know this prior to ordering.  I assume this is to show how fresh the soup is, but makes it messier to eat.
Manhattan Chowder -  I love tomatoes and especially tomato broth soups.  This didn't impress me and it could have been directly from a Campbell's can of soup.  First time having this, but suspect I will have more on my trip from other places.

Corn and Crab, Jalapeno Cream Chowder -We both thought it was boring. They wished it had a stronger jalapeno flavor, since you couldn't even taste any.

Caesar Salad - typical Caesar salad. I enjoyed the fresh shaved cheese.
Daily Special Salad - spinach with toasted macadamia nuts, goat cheese, granny smith apples, grapefruit, pickled red onions & cider vinaigrette - nice, crisp salad. good flavor profile.
Steamed Lobster stuffed with Colossal Crab meat & vegetable medley - This was the star of the show. My BIL, ordered this & the rest of us were instantly jealous. We kept commenting all night, that that's what we should have ordered.

Interesting setup - they advised it is casual attire, but fine dining seating.  I was able to wear shorts but was asked to remove my ball cap, but it was okay to be bundled up in a jacket or wearing jeans & t-shirts.  The table is elegant and the waiters are dressed well.  The prices for all the dishes are those of a fine dining establishment.  It would be nice if they would choose either fine dining or casual seafood.

A couple of other things I found odd:
1. The only hot sauce they stocked was traditional Tabasco sauce. This is my least favorite hot sauce, as it has too much vinegar.
2. They did not serve crackers with the oysters. Our waiter informed us that there were no saltines in the whole restaurant. We were expected to use these weird giant oyster "crackers" that were located in a bowl as a centerpiece on our table. They were so hard, that when I first sat down, I thought they were actually decorations.
3. They have no "to go" cups. Our waiter, found a small child's size cup from the bar with no lid that let me take a few sips home.

1  Thank Shelly P